Summer giveaway, Set of 4 Medical Cannabis Coasters Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Graywolf

Spider Mite predators

Here is some information on Spider Mite predators posted by Bongo on Canna Cabana forum

Biological Mite Control

Predatory mites are, in many new age gardener's opinions, the best way to control spider mites. Predatory mites are mites that do not feed on plants but on other mites, like the two-spotted mite, for instance. Predatory mites can usually be mail-ordered from a horticultural warehouse or purchased online from any number of online gardening vendors. For the sake of brevity, we will cover just three of the most common predatory mites used to kill and control spider mites:

•Phytoseiulus persimilis is referred to by the Cornell University Extension office as " one of the mainstays of greenhouse integrated pest management." The great thing about this species of mite is that it cleans up after itself once the spider mite population is gone—cannibalizing on each other, thus decimating their own populations.

•Metaseiulus occidentalis is another common predatory mite used to kill spider mites. It is an effective biological control only if temperatures are on average between 44 degrees and 89 degrees Fahrenheit.

•Phytoseiulus longpipes is essentially a variant of the Phytoseiulus persimilis mite brought in from Africa which can stand warmer ambient temperatures than its North American cousins. Longpipes is seeing a gain in popularity among gardeners who would rather deploy a biological spider mite control agent than a chemical or physical control.

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.

2f42e9d4a87fca6ddeddd0fbc0334c70.png

Yes, excellent information! :)

i tried predators once. i need better instructions. once you apply them, no more spray, so if not effective, you can be over run fast. i would really like to get this down.

ty graywolf. i was unaware there were more then one predator mite.

Sign in to follow this