Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sinful

new 400 watt garden for 500 bucks from the ground up

JM, you are dead on, and I found a great source that concurs.

http://scienceinhydroponics.com/2010/06/understanding-ph-in-hydroponics-part-no-1.html

For example, nitrogen is absorbed as the nitrate ion (NO3(-)) while potassium is absorbed as the K(+) ion. When a plant takes potassium in, it deplets the solution of a positive charge. Since the solution must remain neutral the plant gives the solution an H3O(+) ion to compensate. The plant has therefore decreased the pH of the solution by absorbing a potassium ion. When nitrate is absorbed – an ion with a negative charge- the plant does the opposite and exchanges the nitrate for an OH(-), the pH of the solution is increased.

POST_11.png

Even their example was on topic!

So I guess the plants were still sucking up nitrogen before, and after week 3 in bloom, they gave up nitrogen for an absolute ATTACK on potassium.

Great advice, JM, thanks again!

Im lovin this.  Thanks Sinful. 

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

Getting to the end of week 5.

a34706fd6b4ad0fd060dd6212c12c7c5.jpg

first of the hairs are starting to show a hint of color at the tips, the smell is starting to get strong, still more "green" than anything definitive, until you touch them.  They are sweet berry plus, seriously like smelling a blackberry pie from your grandmothers kitchen.

I pH'd the tank to 6.1 before dark.  12 hours later, it was only down to 5.9.... I am excited, I am running about 15% over listed bottle strength on everything, and the drift is lightening up a little, with the additional ppm as a buffer (I guess).

This next nute change, I switch from "early pk boost" to "late pk boost".... This grow is a trained monkey thing, I still haven't picked up the ppm meter, so I am trying to keep it as close to the directions as I can, I am not going to max out this grows potential, but I will get some of the prettiest buds I have grown so far.

Man, this pH drift is a pain in the ass.

Added nutes to fresh water sunday night.  pH to 6.1.  by next morning, it was down to 5.7, I pH back up to 6, then let the lights go out.  by lights on, it is back down to 5.7.

I add an additional 2ml per gallon part A and B (up to 9ml/gal now) last night, and pH from 5.6 (lowest drift yet) up to 6.1

This morning at lights off, it was back down to 5.6.

Still a damn pretty round, and even with the beginnings of PM, I have only lost a handful of the water leaves, and mostly off the lower side of the canopy.

So.... Yeah, I want a ppm meter, this is getting tedious and nerve wracking, the constant low pH, and now I am starting to see little blooms of PM starting on my fan leaves.

Next run, bigger square tent, and a ppm meter.  Mandatory.

JM, you are dead on, and I found a great source that concurs.

http://scienceinhydroponics.com/2010/06/understanding-ph-in-hydroponics-part-no-1.html

For example, nitrogen is absorbed as the nitrate ion (NO3(-)) while potassium is absorbed as the K(+) ion. When a plant takes potassium in, it deplets the solution of a positive charge. Since the solution must remain neutral the plant gives the solution an H3O(+) ion to compensate. The plant has therefore decreased the pH of the solution by absorbing a potassium ion. When nitrate is absorbed – an ion with a negative charge- the plant does the opposite and exchanges the nitrate for an OH(-), the pH of the solution is increased.

POST_11.png

Even their example was on topic!

So I guess the plants were still sucking up nitrogen before, and after week 3 in bloom, they gave up nitrogen for an absolute ATTACK on potassium.

Great advice, JM, thanks again!

huh ?? thats greek to me lol

just a trick a grower" freezer boy" informed me about the ph up and down thing

but glad it helped

imo at this point i'm gonna guess its the nutes  ,i dont have those drifts consistently if at all ..icheck ph 1 time a week at add back to see whats up.,usaually ppms ,ph  dont change .tellin me plants r doing what they should.basically keepin a flat rez plants are takin water and nutes at an = amount

sucks on the pm 

spay em with skom milk ive been told .i never encountered it yet but ive been hearin stories from other growers where its bad this year

I'd be thinking changin my nute line up first ,get a back up drop ph kit Ive never owned a ph meter dont trust them

but hats off my freind you'll be  :sFun_crazypilot:  in acouple weeks lol

IMAG0364_zps4qywlnlk.jpg

IMAG0358_zpspjsk48ch.jpg

IMAG0354_zpshj4p6rkj.jpg

the last pic, bud is the size of a redbull can.

Blackberry kush grows very different  in hydro than in soil.  In dirt, it stretches more, and buds like a Dr Seuss tree. puffy dense balls at each node.  This one is budding into colas.

In dirt, she can't get enough calcium, and bulks up so fast, the stems usually fall under the weight.  These plants weigh so much, I have had to tie them by the stem to the top of the tent, their weight is causing them to slip out of their baskets and hydroton shoes!

AND THE FROST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stupid amazing, that is all there is to it, just silly.  I had to pluck a bunch of leaves, humidity is running a little high in basement, and I forgot to close the tub this morning when I pH'd at lights off, so I had all kids of moisture getting bounced around, and had too many spots of PM for my comfort... they are little spots, but still too much, I'd rather cull the leaf, than lose the bud.

Besides, it opens up light and airflow.  As big and pretty as the buds are getting, I am not too upset I don't have a perfect canopy anymore.

pH drift is still a pain, began dark at 6.1, lights on at 5.7.  I added 2 gallons of water (topped off the tank, no res still) and pH was 5.8.  added pH up to 6.1, will check in the morning at lights off.

And I think I will look into a new nute line next time, and use this stuff in coco, less drift and weirdness in pH, hopefully.  Any suggestions?

finally found an answer, I think

What your describing is called Guttation, and what your seeing is a sap exudate.... At night, transpiration usually does not occur because most plants have their stomata closed. When there is a high soil moisture level, water will enter plant roots, because the water potential of the roots is lower than in the soil solution. The water will accumulate in the plant, creating a slight root pressure. The root pressure forces some water to exude (most oftenly) through special leaf tips or edge structures, hydathodes, forming drops. Root pressure provides the impetus for this flow, rather than transpirational ascent. This sap exudate can be clear, tan, brown or even blood red(The red colour is due to haematin compounds and anthocyanin pigments that naturally build up in some varieties; The red colour may also indicate a nutrient deficiency, notably of nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, or magnesium) This sap usually contains a variety of organic and inorganic compounds, mainly sugars, and mineral nutrients, and potassium. Upon drying, a white crust remains on the tissue surface. Guttated sap exudates most commonly exude from cannabis, along both sides of the leaf axil, where the petioles attach to the stem. Though Guttations typically exude(in most plants) through modified leaf stomata known as hydathodes, in cannabis guttations most commonly exude at the leaf axil, or another part of the stem via a stoma ..... It's no worry really, but that sap is effectively a delicious meal for any would be insects and pests, so I would seal the wound with wax just like JK said to keep from attracting any unwanted visitors.... Take care brother!!

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/sap-dripping-from-my-plant-sap.17263/

It is kinda sweet, like fresh maple water, only thicker, and where it is dripping on my hydroton balls-  :Devil: 

Glad to see your making progress Sinful. Im learnin lots and havin fun doin it man, great journal 

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

couple more weeks.

couple more weeks.

couple more weeks.

It is going pretty well, all things considered.  I made plenty of mistakes, and can't control the pH in my res, and the worst thing I have is a few fuzzy spots on a couple leaves.

I think I will try a peroxide wash tonight.... anyone suggest a strength for a foliar that won't oxidize the buds?

3 days, stable pH.

much nicer than .5 drift every 12 hours.  Still and all, not too bad.

A question for the audience:  when do I cut back on my calcium?  it has nitrogen in it, I noticed, can I cut it out 2 weeks before harvest, or do I need to keep it going until the week before with the rest of the nutes??  Instructions show using it through to the next to last week, but I was hoping someone might have advice.

heading into week 7, might be the last nute change, then 8-10 day flush in plain water.

Do I pH the water I use during the last "flush" week?

one last question:

in my plain water res, do I need to keep airstones?

so what do you think, just use 1 pump for the tanks in the tent, then use a separate pump to keep the outside resevoir moving, too?

pH water for flush, and cutting the cal in half tonight when I do the nute change.  Thanks jm