Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sinful

new 400 watt garden for 500 bucks from the ground up

took out 3 more branches that just wouldn't reach the top this morning.

IMAG0277_zpsdrjfbqo3.jpg

I thought about it, and as many times as I tried to find it, I never saw a procedure for changing out nutrients.

my step by step is easy, but could be wrong, so anyone with better knowledge chime in!

I connect my drain pump, seen outside the tub, to a 1/2" black tube, and run it to the drain for my washing machine.  open valve (also seen in pic) and plug in pump.

as it drains down to the bottom, after a few minutes, I tip the tub up from one end with an empty coffee creamer container.  blue solo cups work, too.  As the water gets down to the bottom, I connect a small flexible hose to the sink next to the washer, check to keep the water cool but not cold, then start filling up the tote as it drains.  I rinse down the sides, the lid, and try to get the dust from the airstones to rinse down to the drain.  with the hose in the tub, I will turn the water off, and let tub empty, then refil a few gallons, then drain, then refil, trying to get as much junk and skuzz off the bottom of the tub.

Now turn close the drain valve, and unplug the motor.  Fill about 1/2 way, and start adding nutrients.  I use (in 20 gallons of water) 140ml of bloom a + b, 100ml Cal, 100ml Mag, and 150ml early PK Booster.  pH was at 6.4, so I added about 5ml of pH down (in 3 separate doses, with a stir and re-test in between) to drop it to 5.9.  Then added z7 2 parts, 2 teaspoons of each.

IMAG0280_zpsjwsjat9f.jpg

:PIFROCKS:

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

Ok, I am a bit confused, Hydro people, what the hell is going on?

I added 4 gallons of water yesterday, had been bubbleing for 3 days, adding 1/2 strength nutes.  Put water level in my garden tank right back up to the bottom of the net pots.  After adding water and pH down and conditioner (z7) my tank was at 5.9

This morning the tank was still at 5.8. I don't get it.  I have had a little pH drift every day, for over a month I have run this garden, usually from 5.8 up to about 6.2 or .3.  Why is is stable, all of a sudden?  are the plants somehow using more water than nutes, or vice versa, keeping the water pH stable?

I don't get it.

Just my two cents, but I see two possibilities. One could be that you have your mix of nutrients and water just right for the current growth faze of your plant, so your plants are using an even amount of both nutrients and water, leaving your pH stable.  You could check this by adding the same mix next time and then watching your pH, if it starts to go up, just add a slightly stronger mix the next time.  Make sense?

The other thing it could be is that you had some dead root pieces or some slime build up that was throwing your pH off, and you finally got that washed out.  I have noticed that sometimes you can get what looks like a hard water buildup on the side of the tubs, which seems to buffer the pH a bit... again, just my two cents, you seem to be doing fine.

Please let me know what you think.

Keep it up and happy growing

Garden of Dreams
In my garden there is a large place for sentiment.
My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams.
The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers, and the dreams are as beautiful.
     ~Abram L. Urban

Facebook follower says

My 2 pennies worth.....hope this helps!
Many pH changes or lack there of are caused by the nutrients themselves.

The more compounds in the water-measured in parts per million (ppm) or by the nutrient solution's electroconductivity (EC)-the greater their influence on pH.

For example, the urea used in many fertilizers is broken down by enzymes into one molecule of CO2 (a slightly acidic compound) and two molecules of ammonia (a slightly alkaline compound). This can cause erratic changes in pH.

Nutrient absorption also leads to changes in pH. When a plant absorbs a lot of potassium ions, it gives out hydrogen ions in return. The result is a net decrease in pH. The situation reverses when the plant absorbs a lot of nitrate ions and gives out hydroxyl ions to compensate, thus increasing the pH.
(Bar-Yosef, Ganmore-Neumann, Imas, and Kafkafi, 1997; Ryan, P.R. and Delhaize, E., 2001).

The higher the rate of nutrient absorption, the more dramatic the change in pH.

wow, the pH drift is amazing.  A few weeks ago, I was worried about bacteria getting out of control, with my pH drifting up to 6.4 every day, from as low as 5.5

Now, I adjust with pH UP!  I am going from 5.7 at dawn, up to 6.2.  When I check them before "dark", they are back down to 5.8 or 5.9, so I adjust them again.

I tried adding an additional 50% cal mag (5 ml for hard water, 10 for RO, I have <50ppm here in Salem, so I am now at 7.5ml per gallon) to hopefully buffer a little better.

Any ideas?  Should I increase my nutes all around by a little bit?  I am running 7-800 ppm right now I think (don't have a meter in the house for hydro yet), and blackberry kush seems to take nutes well when I have run her before.  Or maybe just increase my PK Booster?

Anyone know how to keep my pH a little more balanced?  Or is this a GOOD thing, telling me the plant is sucking up the nutes?

id bump my nutes up a bit ya wanna be around 1000-1100 

IMO plants r tellin you they're hungry Id start by bumpin your base nutes 1-2 ml per gallon  

i'd love to here kaks thoughts hes much more knowledgeable when comes to nutes

Im glad your rockin this thing man! Wish I had some advice, but Im learnin by watchin you learn.  Your doin great IMO man, some great advice around here too when needed. 

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

OK, added about 2ml per gallon of A and B, just over for the PK booster, and about 2.5 ml yesterday for the cal and mag.  So I am running a little under 50% more nutes.... but I have watered it down with over 5 gallons of plain bubbled water this week, and as I said, this mix wasn't that high a ppm, so I think I will be OK.  I am keeping an eye on them tonight for the next couple hours (dawn was 8).

so the next trip to the grow shop, I will try to grab a ppm meter.  But so far, I think I am doing ok.