Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sinful

new 400 watt garden for 500 bucks from the ground up

Plants are Blackberry Kush, I was given/dumped a couple of them yesterday while I was out. Always fun to come home and find out you are starting a new hobby.

So, before I had planned on it, I am running a 30 gallon garden in a tent in my basement, as far away from my garage as I can get, in case I screw something up.

Looks like I will need to give away some clones.

MBFERTS.COM

The 8 bottle system, Grow A+B, Bloom A+B, cal, mag, early pk boost, late pk boost.

I also have whey protein (used it in my teas in organics).

Was worth a try, I had been picking a few things up from them for my organic garden, I liked talking to the rep, and they had a system that even I could follow.

And 200 bucks for 8 gallons, plus the pound of whey protein, I'm pretty happy with it, so far.

but that isn't saying much, started yesterday!

oK, FIRST catastrophe.

Ph'd this morning, already up to 7.

popped open the lid, and there is dirt and crap settled to the bottom of the tub, only thing I can guess, the plants were set onto something dirty before being brought to me.

So I dumped everything into the sink, moved the plants back into plastic bags for the roots, and put the tote into the bathtub to clean.

While it was empty, I installed the bulkhead fitting, and the stop-cock valve.  The valve leaks, so I am waiting for the grow shop to open, so my wife can get me a replacement on her way home from church.

I installed everything to connect with 1/2" black tubing.  Picked up a couple plumbing adapters, to connect to an aquarium pump lying around.  I am going to setup a hose to the sink in my basement, and start flushing the tub out, 20 gallons at a time, with bleach, then rinse, then h2o2, then rinse again.  Then fill with water, and re-do the nutes again.

Suggestions? comments?

Alrighty, next step.

adapted the fittings to a pvc ball valve, and the water stopped leaking.

cleaned the tub and lid, then sprayed with H2O2, 34% cut by half, along the inside of the tub, the top, and the top of the lid.  let it sit an hour, then poured out the excess, shook dry, and used a clean hose to fill the tub.

Added nutes, 4 parts (Grow a/b, cal, mag), and got the plants a haircut, to clean up the growth that (hopefully) is about to start.

More to come!!!

Nice work! I have some blackberry shatter that is delicious. Can't wait to see how they turn out.

“You have control over your work alone, never the fruit.”  "If you don't try to be great, you don't really even have a good chance of being good"

i was curious about the nutes as well 

Ya got alot goin on ,when you metioned organics red flags go off for me .seems when try peeps end with a root rot problem .I tried hygrozyme once and only once.A good freind put it like this "organics is breeding bacteria where dwc meant to be sterile ",like a hospital ya dont want bacteria while your operating 

Kiss theorys the best with dwc IME less ya put in the better 

Cant wait to see them under a 400 and i like the drain setup i still drop a pump in the rez for change outs 

this way, I don't have to leave the pump inside.  Eventually, this will be linked to a drain system, and connected directly to water supply, soI don't have to work so hard.

And my gardens aren't even in the same building together.  I have my soil grow, with all its dirty mess, in my garage.  My little hydro setup is downstairs in my basement, right next to my washer dryer and furnace.  I dont' want any crossover!

I am actually looking into Colloidal silver as a sterilizer, I remember stories of wagon trains using a silver coin in milk to stop it from developing bacteria, kept it "fresh" longer.... seems like the same thing would hold true in hydro!

Speaking of which, what do you do if bacteria keeps getting into the system?  Better cleaning?  Is there a cleaner, or a stablizer, or something, that will keep this from being such a bacterial playground? 

one thing I did when I ran dwc. when changing the water every week I would lightly bleach out the water pump, airstones and container. I know the airstones have all kindsa nooks and cranies for bacteria to hid in, so just let it run in bleach water 1 capful per gallon about a hour, then let run in plain water for nother hour to make sure all bleach gone

newsig_zps1a27cc72.png

getting this together!!!

Brand new rooting coming out the sides!

I have cleaned them out again, trained them to their tips, and just need a little veg time to fill in, and they are ready to flip.

I can get rid of the LED's this week, and switch to the 400hps.

I have had to get pH Down, it still climbs a bit, but in a week, I dropped it back down to 5.5, it is at 6.1 today, after 4 days.  I will pH and top off and stuff today, will veg the week, then next weekend with nute change, we will go to crossover and flip to 12/12!

It's ALIVE!!!!

How did you go about bleaching out everything, and not hurt the plant?  Pull it out and move it to a temporary container, net pot and all?

ya I have a backup container I put the lid with drop net on. then scrub out the tub I normaly use for it. it wont hurt the plant to sit outta water for lil bit. longest I think I left em outta the water was 45 mins to a hour.

newsig_zps1a27cc72.png

cool, thanks for the input.

I am finding that plants in hydro are not as sensitive to change as I thought.  I was worried an acidic feed would kill them dead immediately, but there is a nice buffer of time available to keep adjusting, or add water, or drain water.

I kinda like this hydro stuff.

Let's see how much I like it in 10 weeks.

ACK!

Cleaned up photobucket, and lost the links.  I will put all the pics here, sorry if they don't connect to the posts.

Anyhow, week and a day in, still have pH at 6.1, but the plants are vegging very slow, too far away from the LED's to do it any quicker, need to drop them down by half, or get off my lazy arse and get the 400 hung.

Pretty excited the system is holding pH, and the plants haven't died.  I didn't have reall high hopes for my first try, and it is still going.

yay!

oh, yeah.

Once I get the HPS running, I plan on running a 4" duct fan continuously.  My basement runs 65 degrees and 45% humidity, so I should have a great "sink" for heat and humidity, to keep me running nice and cool.

That, and I have a 31 gallon tote with 22 gallons of water on my floor in the basement, with just a few air stones and no water pumps to put out heat..  I went a little oversize on my tub  just to make sure I had the heat buffer.

nice pearly whites you have there Sin. wish i could have seen the rest of the pictures but seems you deleted them from Photobucket :(

[center][url="http://freemygreenpdx.com/topic/8254-garden-of-blazen/?view=findpost&p=77193"][color=#006400][size=5][b]The Garden of Blazen[/b][/size][/color][/url][/center]

[center][img]http://i.gyazo.com/f963f7b5090a9774b99e5ab9981be1e5.png[/img][/center]