Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sinful

cost of seeds

I am going to open this with a disclaimer: I am not suggesting anyone buy seeds, that is illegal.

I am wondering about the pricing that is going on out there.  Is it really so hard to grow seeds, that they need to sell for up to $20 each?

Don't get me wrong, I can see where supply and demand still apply.  So the newest, latest, greatest strains that are the freshest flavors to release, I can see them having a premium  but even relatively unknown strains still are commanding prices as high as the most commercialized seedbanks in the world.

Anybody have an idea why it is so expensive out there?

:anyone:

Is that really all it is?

I don't want to pick on anyone in particular, but so many breeders are putting stuff out at 10 and 15 bucks a seed, mandatory packs of 5-10, with no real background info on the strain, no guarantee of its value, and no clue you are really getting what is promised.

And if a majority of the black market was based on ILLEGAL garden's, why aren't the seeds getting cheaper as more of us have legal gardens?  Why are seeds still 150 bucks a pack in your neck of the woods, Kak?  Why are TGA seeds still selling top dollar cost for, when he is based here in my town? (TGA soil producers is in the same parking lot as my mechanic).... at least TGA has some cup wins behind them, why are breeders coming out with Necatrine Crush (hypothetical name, not real) and trying to make the same money off of it as the cup winners get?

Do you breeders really lose so much of your finished medicine, you need to make a small fortune off of the seeds?  Is seed breeding really that expensive a business model? 

One 'breeder' of note charged $210.00 for 3 seeds of a supposed 'elite' genetic,,,,

It was absolute garbage, low yield, middies at best, grown by an advanced grower here on site in 4 different mediums.

A small indoor plant about 36 inches can make 10,000 seeds when open pollinated if not more,,,,,

Recently we had a contest with a small vial of seed, containing over 2,100.  The plants that were pollinated in this grow produced a full quart mason jar,,,, the quantity is staggering!

I agree with Pete, nothing more than greed. Why? Because they can. It sucks. Isn't it better to start with a clone than seeds?.I know when I plant vegetables I have a hard time getting them to grow. I imagine starts are better. I don't grow but it seems to make sense to me. jmho

shortglide-1.jpg

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance --That principle is contempt prior to investigation."Herbert Spencer

Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact. —William James

but until there is a baseline for a legal market, all people will pay a black market set price, with demand of fame placing the highest value to certain seeds/breeders.  Loud Seeds is a great example of that, 1 great tasting accidental cross wins a cup, and everything they have ever done has sold out.

But no matter how stable, how much time is spent working on a piece of genetics, what SHOULD the fair price be?  If you were in the market to pay the overhead, what would you sell seeds for?  You have put years into your creations.  The cost/value is in the development, and I appreciate that, look at the business model for pharmaceutical companies. After years of work on your strains, knowing you could produce something like 10000 seeds with a 400 watt garden, maybe more, what is the fair price? 

Ima totally in agreement with brotha kak on what he says...

Greed to me is a market driven commodity, where the price per bean is not an earned position, but a result of what people are willing to spend, even the new generation of pollen chuckers will inevitably raise the price to what the others are getting. Has anyone tried to make sense of all the possible genetic from some of the online purveyors? Boggles the mind,,,,

But to compare a worked through stabilized genetic, where the plant the patient grows or has grown for them is totally in line with the represented image, description, effect and medicinal value.

That to me has an added cost factor, three, four, five years working through the phenotypes, analysis, care, time, effort,,,,  and the result being accurate to the intent, not a search for a 'keeper' out of a hundred dollar lessening of the hypothetical wallet.

Where each plant is a worthy contender for clone and keep for the med, as represented,,,

That has to have value and is absolutely not market driven or should that work be used in comparison to most of what is seen today....

My question wasn't to pick on you specifically, Tricloud, you are the latest genetics I was looking at, were a potential person to engage, are known by the more learned members on this site: you perfectly fit the profile for my question, and answered a dozen more.... And if I would have questioned 'Pete's genetics, I could get banned! :D (j/k boss...)

Sadly, my entire question boils down to an answer of hype and random breeding, with a great marketing plan, are easier to find than stable plants and genetics worth the money. The market is upside down with crap, and it can be a challenge separate the dross from the gold.

Anyone can type a search into Google, yahoo, bing, and find genetics... usually the ones that are the best advertised to online marketing.  I have friends that devote their lives to SEO, and make crap into gold before your very eyes.... at least, the hits are gold, the product is still crap, but well marketed, wonderfully packaged crap.  

If I didn't handle my asking with kid gloves, I apologize, it wasn't to offend anyone; rather, it was an attempt to get an honest, less politically correct answer.  So many of the members here have pride in y'alls work, and rightfully so, and it made a very easy time for any and all of you to stand your ground, and show me where I was wrong.