Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy Rose

Got Milk?

The September 1999 issue of Crop Protection reported about scientist Wagner Bettiol’s study on using diluted milk as a control for powdery mildew on cucurbits. Backed by Embrapa, the Brazilian Agricultural Research Corporation, the study reported that a solution of 10% – 20% raw milk in water sprayed weekly was equally effective or better than the most trusted chemical fungicides on the market (around 90% effective, depending on the plant variety’s natural disease resistance). Continued studies at the University of Adelaide in Australia seek to understand why milk works so well against powdery mildew (and also botrytis blight, which you may have seen on your squash flowers or strawberries — it’s that fuzzy mold that appears in wet conditions).

Read more here

Raw milk has a bacteria which is voracious.

Basically the bacteria (it is in the Laco family - I believe) out competes the PM for the food on the surface of the leaf.

I'd go right past the 10~20% for the full Hollywood 100%.

I tried milk when I was actually having problems with PM , I don't think I Had the the mixture right Also I was was just using whole milk from the Grocery section . It made a mess of my girls but they did in fact pull through . I rely mostly on prevention today however when it strikes I most Likely will use milk . Thanks for the information

I tried milk when I was actually having problems with PM , I don't think I Had the the mixture right Also I was was just using whole milk from the Grocery section . It made a mess of my girls but they did in fact pull through . I rely mostly on prevention today however when it strikes I most Likely will use milk . Thanks for the information

Milk which is not raw, won't work... The pasteurization processs kills off all of the bacteria.

Sign in to follow this