Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

xbrpete

Unlocking the power of amino acids in growing cannabis ~

First I want to reprint an article I read recently on L-amino acids and growing cannabis.... then pick it apart!

Microbiologist and marijuana growers are constantly discovering more about the microscopic world that directly affects plant functions. One of the biggest breakthroughs in recent years is the study of the “building blocks” of all proteins: amino acids. Amino acids are organic compounds with an amino (-NH2) and a carboxylic acid group (-COOH) that are required for plant functions throughout the plant’s entire life cycle. Amino acids are necessary for the synthesis of cellular molecules, including chlorophyll, enzymes, proteins and vitamins.

Even at the very beginning of a plant’s life, amino acids are vital. During the germination process, an embryo will consume amino acids derived from proteins stored in the endosperm. Other specific amino acid-related functions include the synthesis of structural proteins, contributing to the formation of phytohormones (auxins, ethylene, polyamines, porfines, etc.), and the regulation of water balance, particularly in times of stress. Amino acids can also act as chelators of the essential nutrients required for normal plant development.

Why Supplement Amino Acids?

Amino acids are a key ingredient in marijuana bloom boosters that enhance flowering. But why?
It is true that plants create their own L-form amino acids when grown in optimal conditions. However, in order to create these amino acids the plant will have to “exert” a good amount of energy. Supplementing amino acids frees up the plant’s natural energy to focus on growing. It has also been discovered that plants growing in less desirable conditions or plants experiencing stress will decrease, or even stop, their amino acid production. In order to obtain the essential L-form amino acids a plant will actually break down structural proteins. This activity requires a lot of energy that would otherwise be used to promote more growth or root stimulation.

By supplementing L-form amino acids to their medical marijuana plants a grower can ensure the maximum level of amino acids needed by their plants is maintained. This will help optimize their plant’s performance and allow their plants to focus energy otherwise used for synthesis of amino acids on producing bountiful yields and sticky buds.

Is There A Difference In Amino Acid Supplements?

Amino acids come in two forms: L and D. The D form amino acids are larger molecules with a high molecular weight, which means they cannot be used by plants. L-form amino acids are smaller and can be absorbed by plants. This is very important to understand when shopping for an amino acid supplement. Fertilizer companies who use strong acidic or alkaline solutions to extract amino acids generally end up with a formula that contains both L and D form amino acids. These solutions are usually less expensive; rightfully so, because they are less effective.

Companies that use enzymatic hydrolysis of proteins to produce amino acid formulas end up with only L-form amino acids. These formulations are usually more expensive because of a more intensive processing but are well worth it because they are much more effective. As with most things, you get what you pay for. Amino acid supplements are no exception.

I read an article stating the similar thing, about  a month ago (it was on an American Nute Company's webpage).  They were selling a product that contained Amino Acids (in the form of whey isolate protein- that they said, could also be used as a nutrition shake).

Coincidentally, someone gifted me a jar of 100% pure Isolate Whey Protein (Free Amino Acids? :huh:  Yay!!!) needless to say, this will be added to the list of soil amendments in future batches of my own personal Super Soil Mix :1sm390teach:

Each One, Teach One   :vap_smiley::vap_smiley::vap_smiley:

Glad ya like it,,, now to pick on it,,, ,LOL

"Amino acids come in two forms: L and D. The D form amino acids are larger molecules with a high molecular weight, which means they cannot be used by plants. L-form amino acids are smaller and can be absorbed by plants."

False!

Yes, they come in two forms D and L,,,, but, they are chiral.... which means mirror image...

both the D and L forms are four branches of atoms off of a central or alpha carbon atom.

Alpha carbon atoms will bond to four other atoms to complete its circle...( carbon atoms form the center of amino acids ),,,

The four branches are a Hydrogen Group, an R Group, a Carboxylic Acid Group and lastly an Amine group 

The only difference between the L and D is the orientation of the Amin and Carboxylic in relation to the hydrogen!

L-chain amino acids ... Levorotatory Enantiomer Amino Acids -  negative ionic charge

D-chain amino acids.... Dextrorotatory Enantiomer Amino Acids - positive ionic charge

The L chain are the only amino acids found in proteins and pretty much the only ones that most living things use ( exceptions for sure,,, but we are not in their food chain and I would not put them in mine! )

There is not a bit of difference in molecular weight, an atom is an atom,,, it does not grow if it attaches to the right of a hydrogen instead of the left!

Both L-aminos and  the D aminos could be taken in by the plants, but the plant does not use D in growth, but it could alter DNA of the plant so why look for a inferior source or accept the possibility!

To see what the wrong D aminos can do to a living thing,,,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalidomide

In this case, a synthetic amino acid was used by the pharma, when they are made by chemical process, the result is a 50/50 mix of L and D chain, untested for possible results of D chain gave the deformities noted in the above link,

more? 

so products like Earth Juice Catalyst are really un-marked amino acid suppliment, for 28 bucks a gallon... right?

There is a small percentage of amino acids in EJC,,,,, with an NPK of 2-6-6 there is a lot of stuff in there,, kelp, molasses, oat bran and yeast

I read an article stating the similar thing, about  a month ago (it was on an American Nute Company's webpage).  They were selling a product that contained Amino Acids (in the form of whey isolate protein- that they said, could also be used as a nutrition shake).

Coincidentally, someone gifted me a jar of 100% pure Isolate Whey Protein (Free Amino Acids? :huh:  Yay!!!) needless to say, this will be added to the list of soil amendments in future batches of my own personal Super Soil Mix :1sm390teach:

Manny ,,, the whey isolate protein,,,, not bad! But you have better source of plant ready Laminos,, lol

stay tuned,,,,,,

so products like Earth Juice Catalyst are really un-marked amino acid suppliment, for 28 bucks a gallon... right?

There is a small percentage of amino acids in EJC,,,,, with an NPK of 2-6-6 there is a lot of stuff in there,, kelp, molasses, oat bran and yeast

Manny ,,, the whey isolate protein,,,, not bad! But you have better source of plant ready Laminos,, lol

stay tuned,,,,,,

I agree with you that the Rhizobiotics products I am using are a much better source.  Nevertheless, I did not want a free resource to go to waste, and I was thinking that the two would work together.

Each One, Teach One   :vap_smiley::vap_smiley::vap_smiley:

And down the worm hole we go :D 

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else.