Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
Help keep the website alive Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MxBrown

Hybrid/Elite Clone Stabilization

Hello PIF Community,

I have a question for the breeders... I have a couple of clones that I would like to breed with and attempt to stabilize. 

Is "cubing" a reliable method for this task, or would it be better to line breed?  I've attached the strategy used for Great White Shark, I hope its a good example of line-breeding.919GWS2.jpg

In this example, I would choose two traits that I wanted to replicate from the F3 gen, take the best male and female and breed them together for another 3 gens, then combine the two separate lines.  Now we are back to P1 and  we can start all over again.

This seems like a whole lot more work than simple backcrossing/cubing.  Is it worth it?

Kak, pete, what do you guys usually go for?

ThX

MxB

Here are 2 different strategies for back-crossing, taken from another site:

Here are two examples of how one may come to a BC3.

Example 1:

step 1) A X B = F1

step 2) A X F1 = BC1

step 3) A X BC1 = BC2

step 4) A X BC2 = BC3 (<-- Souls "cube")

Example 2:

step 1) A X B = F1

step 2) A X F1 = BC1 (if we went A X F2 the progeny is still a BC1)

step 3) BC1 X BC1 = B1F2

step 4) A X B1F2 = BC2

step 5) BC2 X BC2 = B2F2

step 6) B2F2 X B2F2 = B2F3

step 7) B2F3 X B2F3 = B2F4

step 8) A X B2F4 = BC3

All of these may be a single plant or group of plants. To further broaden it, A (the recurrent parent) might even be and is often a group of closely related lines.

:huh:

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

To answer ya,,,

I am working close to this line,,, for my Damn Blues, am at step 3 after a year and a half,,, still holding momma

Example 2:

step 1) A X B = F1

step 2) A X F1 = BC1 (if we went A X F2 the progeny is still a BC1)

step 3) BC1 X BC1 = B1F2

step 4) A X B1F2 = BC2

step 5) BC2 X BC2 = B2F2

step 6) B2F2 X B2F2 = B2F3

step 7) B2F3 X B2F3 = B2F4

step 8) A X B2F4 = BC3

:wacko: .......... :blink: ...... :P ..... :ph34r: ... :hooka2: .. :party0007:   :post-2-1216778901: Very cool Pete!

***** Looking to test any and all genetics *****
Straight people don't know, what you're about
They put you down and shut you out
You gave to me a new belief
And soon the world will love you sweet leaf

\M/ Nothing ventured Nothing gained \M/

Hello PIF Community,

I have a question for the breeders... I have a couple of clones that I would like to breed with and attempt to stabilize. 

Is "cubing" a reliable method for this task, or would it be better to line breed?  I've attached the strategy used for Great White Shark, I hope its a good example of line-breeding.919GWS2.jpg

In this example, I would choose two traits that I wanted to replicate from the F3 gen, take the best male and female and breed them together for another 3 gens, then combine the two separate lines.  Now we are back to P1 and  we can start all over again.

This seems like a whole lot more work than simple backcrossing/cubing.  Is it worth it?

Kak, pete, what do you guys usually go for?

ThX

MxB

I really appreciate you posting this thread MxB!! I remember a friend of mine trying to explain this to me, and I only got about half of it, this graphic visualization makes it SOOOO much easier to comprehend

Each One, Teach One   :vap_smiley::vap_smiley::vap_smiley:

I am a little confused by the chart.

I have always understood line breeding to be, for an easy descriptor, incestuous.  back to parent, back to grandparent (in the written charts, constant back cross to "A").

In the chart for great white shark, there is NO breeding back to the parent, just an intermingling of two separate trees, , generation after generation, to a final intermingling of the two trees...

I understood, until I looked at the chart again.  What helped manny, has ruined my grasp.

Sin,,,

The big chart is not preserving a hybrid, it is finding expressions in multiple generations, left side male expression, right side female until the final mating to bring back to a combination of the desired traits of the original P1 parents you picked for the project, what is the purpose?

IE  on the male side could be structure, height and growth rate and female smell, flower density and lateral branching and finish time

The key to that project would be finding the female expression of the male P1 in the F-2's grown out

The combined expressions selected down the line would make the final P1 representative of the traits desired from the original P-1 parents all wrapped up nicely into a new strain, GWS

Preserving is deffo different from breeding,,, where you are trying not to add to the P-1 mother but get her to express as herself without the original P1 male used making too many appearances

so glad i found this thanks mxbrown pete kak and everyone involved makes it much easier to grasp

let the fun begin

[center][url="http://freemygreenpdx.com/topic/8254-garden-of-blazen/?view=findpost&p=77193"][color=#006400][size=5][b]The Garden of Blazen[/b][/size][/color][/url][/center]

[center][img]http://i.gyazo.com/f963f7b5090a9774b99e5ab9981be1e5.png[/img][/center]