• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nw1138

Advice for a ultra cheap grow

So I found some seeds in a bag a friend gave me and planted them, here is the situation. I have five plants growing under one cfl in soil in a tiny cabnet and I have zero budget for this as I am a stay at home dad. What I am asking for is advice and cheap tips and tricks that I can apply to this grow and be able to not have to spend to much money. thank you for any and all advice and sorry if this kind of rambled on.

Edit: I would also like to point out that I have never grown anything in my life...lol

IMAG0576.jpg

IMAG0577.jpg

IMAG0578.jpg

IMAG0579.jpg

IMAG0580.jpg

Edited by nw1138

"We are all here for a spell; get all the good laughs you can."  "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip."  "People are marvelous in their generosity, if they just know the cause is there."  "Civilization has taught us to eat with a fork, but even now if nobody is around we use our fingers."  "Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save."  "Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."  "Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow is too lazy to form an opinion."  "Why don't they pass a constitutional amendment prohibiting anybody from learning anything? If it works as well as prohibition did, in five years Americans would be the smartest race of people on Earth"  "Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."
Will Rogers

Awesome nw!

But you have no money in seed, so are ahead of the game, 1st try is cool, a lot to gain, not much to lose!

FIrst, we are gonna try to keep as cheap as possible,,,,

Take a look at this log by Magweedo, grown with CFL's from start to finish,,,   http://freemygreenpdx.com/index.php?/topic/3647-the-half-gallon-pot-plant-in-bloom/&do=findComment&comment=26261

Great results on the cheap!

Will be back with more later!

Pete

you can do a cheap grow and get disant results but  always remember the more you put into it the better it gives back :)

Those plants are looking pretty nice so far i would top em though before they get too tall and spindley on you..

Are you feeding them anything yet? How much ligh do you have on them and how far away? what kind of soil you using? We can help with alot of tricks and tips but please let us know what your working with :) 

TO ACCESS OUR PRIVATE FORUMS CLICK HERE! 

12863878cb1f711m3.jpg

"I'd rather be hated for who i am than loved for who i am not"

"OMMP GREEN PAGE"                        Brothers With Glass

Thanks for replying, here is the answers to your question

you can do a cheap grow and get disant results but  always remember the more you put into it the better it gives back :)

Those plants are looking pretty nice so far i would top em though before they get too tall and spindley on you..

Are you feeding them anything yet? How much ligh do you have on them and how far away? what kind of soil you using? We can help with alot of tricks and tips but please let us know what your working with :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002962SRG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is the light I am using and I have it on 24/7

I do not know how/what to top?

I am actualy using pretty bad soil but it is all I had, its from fred meyers Organic Choice potting mix and it says on the bag that it has some food in it.

Thank you all for taking the time to look over my post

"We are all here for a spell; get all the good laughs you can."  "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip."  "People are marvelous in their generosity, if they just know the cause is there."  "Civilization has taught us to eat with a fork, but even now if nobody is around we use our fingers."  "Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save."  "Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."  "Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow is too lazy to form an opinion."  "Why don't they pass a constitutional amendment prohibiting anybody from learning anything? If it works as well as prohibition did, in five years Americans would be the smartest race of people on Earth"  "Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."
Will Rogers

.. good start considering youve never gardened befor man, dont let the no money thing bring ya down......pretty soon those plants are gonna need food....seems you in a budget, ive seen decent herb grown with shultzes plant ferts... youd have to dilute it alittle more to aviod burn but the bottle is like 4 bucks at wally world or any agway

suffering within yourself, and the truth leaves you dying alone. The pain behind the eyes has a destiny, so use the hate to fuel the fire inside,. choices leave you trapped, and every route you choose is a path that leads back to the start. you might accept defeat in a world out to get you, but the finger on the trigger is yours.

Will Rogers

that is the one i  used when i started... very inportand to dilute tho...super concentrated

suffering within yourself, and the truth leaves you dying alone. The pain behind the eyes has a destiny, so use the hate to fuel the fire inside,. choices leave you trapped, and every route you choose is a path that leads back to the start. you might accept defeat in a world out to get you, but the finger on the trigger is yours.

Hello;

As a new grower all the grow stores will want your business, Go to the one closet to you and ask them for some samples, all the shops give samples out. Maybe just make a day of it on the bus. Ask for veg nutes and bloom nutes. This should help.

I will be back with a photo of how too top your plants. :)

Soon you will need to sex those bag seed plants.

Here is what you will need to know.

Also one of us will explain how to force flowering so that you may sex them soon.

http://freemygreenpdx.com/index.php?/topic/129-sexing-your-plants/

okay so I got Schultz 10-15-10 Plant food plus micronutrients and would love to know what to do with it as I am lost. the how to top a plant link does not work. Again thank you so much I really really appreciate the responses and help. I am not the best at this online stuff

Will Rogers

when you get the plant food read the instruction, but cut the dosage in half untill your plants  get a bit bigger then gradually work up to reccomended feeding....to top a plant is to cut off the mian growing shoot to encourage girth not hieght... imo your palnts shoult have 5 or 6 sets of leaves befor topping...... heres a link that night work man

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&sa=X&tbo=d&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS473US473&biw=1214&bih=698&tbm=isch&tbnid=xABXXRvg0IVZOM:&imgrefurl=http://cannabis.wikia.com/wiki/File:Fimming_v_topping.jpg&docid=Eg4819kH5hcQyM&imgurl=http://images.wikia.com/cannabis/images/6/6f/Fimming_v_topping.jpg&w=800&h=600&ei=IvjpULa8Luri0gGRh4GoBA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=245&vpy=76&dur=122&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=103&ty=122&sig=108129048797620643056&page=1&tbnh=144&tbnw=192&start=0&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0,i:97

Topping... Cut the main stem about 2 leaf sets up to promote side growth and branching... Other wise you end up with a string bean plant.. also i would put that light as close to them plants as possible without burning em... With will also help to stop the straight up growth.. Hope this helps Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions,,,, 

TO ACCESS OUR PRIVATE FORUMS CLICK HERE! 

12863878cb1f711m3.jpg

"I'd rather be hated for who i am than loved for who i am not"

"OMMP GREEN PAGE"                        Brothers With Glass

So I am giving everyone an update with new pictures I still only have the one cfl and 24/7 light and three drops at watering of Schultz 10-15-10. I now have a one time budget of $500 and am trying to put together a list of everything I would need to buy to grow a sustainable amount ( about two and a half ounces a month). I was chatting with some of the great folks in the chat room and we made up a small list on amazon, I want to know what all I need to add to get everything that I cannot do without. I hope this is a reasonable request thank you guys.

Ducting

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015UGPWQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Soil

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VSXAME/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Fan/Fliter Combo

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZJNW1S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2WRS4X4C0GMOQ

5-gallon Pot

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032JRFL8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2893FVERNLMIF

PH Meter

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DWGR20/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AZNC9UUUJMUY

Nutrients

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TWTJ32/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3PPYHZS9IP9BD

Grow Tent

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E79CVY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1OB5M0OAN6XEW

T-5 Lights (2)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JQBQZQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Speed Controller 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HQAVNI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2013-02-26 12.46.03.jpg

2013-02-26 12.46.17.jpg

2013-02-26 12.46.26.jpg

2013-02-26 12.46.38.jpg

2013-02-26 12.46.50.jpg

2013-02-26 12.47.04.jpg

2013-02-26 12.47.13.jpg

2013-02-26 12.47.25.jpg

2013-02-26 12.47.32.jpg

2013-02-26 12.47.39.jpg

Will Rogers

...if it were me, and i was only running one or two plants id wait on the can filter combo, get some ona gel and a hid....the smell from two little plants will be barly noticeable and the ona will take care of that...its my unprofessional opinion that a small 150 0r 250 mh hid will help you better meet your 2.5 zip per month needs.. t5s are great for veg.. but lack penetration to flower anything but the very tops of plants, and they would need to be very small.....just my two cents...i wanna see you do this man.. ive only been at it 6 or 7 years but id be happy to give ya answers if i can, and trust me ive made about every mistake ya can...let me know bro

Edited by kpinblackout

Topping... Cut the main stem about 2 leaf sets up to promote side growth and branching... Other wise you end up with a string bean plant.. also i would put that light as close to them plants as possible without burning em... With will also help to stop the straight up growth.. Hope this helps Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions,,,, 

can accomplish the same thing by bending thus maintaining the meristem and growth vigor.

...if it were me, and i was only running one or two plants id wait on the can filter combo, get some ona gel and a hid....the smell from two little plants will be barly noticeable and the ona will take care of that...its my unprofessional opinion that a small 150 0r 250 mh hid will help you better meet your 2.5 zip per month needs.. t5s are great for veg.. but lack penetration to flower anything but the very tops of plants, and they would need to be very small.....just my two cents...i wanna see you do this man.. ive only been at it 6 or 7 years but id be happy to give ya answers if i can, and trust me ive made about every mistake ya can...let me know bro

i agree.  you will be a few months between and you will need to produce8 dry that means 32 oz wet to hold you.  go HID..... a 400 if you can.  lamps are cheap.  last i checked at home depot, $25. i bet you could get them really cheap at 1000bulbs.com.

http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-Digital-GreenHouse-Dimmable- 400w-Ballast.asp

heres a cheap digi 400 that you wouldnt outgrow in 6 months time......under 220$ shipped... not only is it cheap but your plants will THRIVE under this compared to cfls or even T5s

Edited by kpinblackout

magnetic ballasts are cheaper, but make more heat and noise....EQ is right tho used is cheaper, but then you dont have the warrenty if it breaks

magnetic ballasts are cheaper, but make more heat and noise....EQ is right tho used is cheaper, but then you dont have the warrenty if it breaks

yep, but most are pretty cheap to fix if something goes wrong.  it is just the choice you will have to make.

personally, i would love to have electronic ballasts.  it's the $!!!  i have 6 lamps.

Ask a few grow shops if they have used equipment I was blessed with a 600watt hps ballast for $75 with a warranty  then i ask if they might have nute samples for veg and they gave me a fox farm grow big bottle off the shelf super cool was not expecting that,best of luck  and shop around there are good deals  out there just need to hunt them down .

Ask a few grow shops if they have used equipment I was blessed with a 600watt hps ballast for $75 with a warranty  then i ask if they might have nute samples for veg and they gave me a fox farm grow big bottle off the shelf super cool was not expecting that,best of luck  and shop around there are good deals  out there just need to hunt them down .

good one!

I killed them with a mixture of neglect and over attention. thanks for all the help

Will Rogers