Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

popeye!

curing your medicine

I subscribe to the 65/65 rule. Target environment is darkness at 65% humidity and 65° F with a goodly amount of air circulation..

Chlorophyll is the thing that can make a delicious bud to become "pitui". Some swear that flushing plants that were grown using organic principles is the the key. I disagree. The thing that separates the men from the boys is drying/curing (period). When one uses organic principles, flushing is not needed--unless you subscribe to stoner logic (then follow bro science, as it is always irrefutable).

Slow and easy is what works for me--longer the better. If speed, haste, fast and "prematurity" (premature withdrawal) is employed, then you will be blessed with that god awful hay smell (too fast of a dry). My dry time ranges between 7-12 days, while 3-5 day dry scares the shit out of me.

OK, what can I do to remove the hay thing? Believe it or not, I have had great success with a simple trick of re-hydrating the vegetative matter then "re-drying it" slow and easy at 65/65.

My method of re-hydrating is to jack up the humidity, then re-dry it slow and easy. Place buds in a air/water tight container (I use 5 gallon food grade buckets with Gamma lids to achieve air/water tight seal) and suspended above the buds but below the Gamma lid inside the bucket I tape (blue painters tape) either a moistened paper towel or better yet, try those cotton pads our ladies use to remove makeup, then toss a hygrometer on top of the buds and seal it and check it every 24 hours or so. When the humidity increases to 70%, then do the traditional curing burping thing, until it drops to 65°.

Regarding using those Bovida styled humidity packs, please suspend them above your herb--and never let them come in contact with your flowers. Tossing them in a canning jar mixed with your buds is the worst thing you can do, imo. Experience has taught me buds that come in contact with the humidity packs degrade faster, can generate a (cough cough) harsher smoke and can change the bud's texture. Cigar aficionados never allow the humidity packs to touch cigars...maybe they know something we don't.

So, my vote is a food grade 5 gallon bucket with an air/water tight Gamma Lid for the perfect curing vehicle; no off odor and perfect cure everytime. If you must use those humidity packs (which are reusable when dried out) DON'T EVER LET THEM COME IN CONTACT WITH YOUR WEED.

Just saying.

Until the humidity in the bucket drops slightly below 65%....from the jacked up mid 70s. It can take days, and can be repeated if the hay odor is not all gone, or even if I obtain weed that looks good but was poorly cured.

Oh yeah, by opening the bucket each day your are doing that burping thing, so sometimes I will leave the lids off the buckets for a few hours then seal them up. One 5 gallon bucket I usually fill it about 2/3 full (slightly more than a pound) and will shake it slightly (reduce clumping) before opening (burping).

I shy away from the digital hygrometers, as they are usually inaccurate and cannot be adjusted. I prefer the cheapo ones from China, via Amazon--a few bucks each and easy to calibrate using the salt slurry in plastic bag technique and adjust the dial to 75%.

https://musicsorbonline.com/faqs/hygrometer-accuracy-test/

image.png.78744cc7718128bd5c63a44c48eaec09.png

Hope this helps.

Such good information, Backdoor! I thank you!  I already have some electronic temp/humidity sensors (Bosch BME-280 I believe) and I will check a couple and see how they fare in the salt water test you described and gave the link to.

This old stoner appreciates your contributions!!

Hey couldn’t you use the salt-water slurry method as a way to make a DIY humidifier of your buds?  With some kind of wick or fashion something similar?

I guess if you wanted to jack up the humidity to exactly 75% before taking it back down to 60-65% range, that would be one path to that destination. Me, I just tape a few of those moistened cotton pads (the kind my wife uses to remove makeup) to the bucket lid, toss in a hygrometer and seal it up for a day. Easy peasy.

By the way my wife and I have trimmed off a few small bud samples and put them in a pipe.  There is very little taste at all....but there is almost no harshness but really very little taste at all, along with a SUPER heady high.....

After trying some I felt someone tapping on my shoulder and I turned around and it was the floor!!!!   :)   Just kidding, but it smokes with a very heady high but no taste.