Welcome to Oregon's OMMP PAY IT FORWARD Official Website

Welcome to Ommp Pay It Forward, like most online communities you must register to post in our forum, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Ommp Pay It Forward by signing in or creating an account.

What you will find after you join:

•Seasoned cultivators will share secrets to successful harvests.
•Retired Scientists/Patients who are willing to share their medication, tips on how to produce quality medication every harvest.
•Mentoring by experienced growers.
•Grow room tips and DIY advice from our professional installers.
•Oregon carded members will gain access to our private forums.
•You’ll find cannabis legislation and more.
•OMMP Pay it forward is a community of compassionate people willing to offer help today.
•All free!

Start new topics and reply to others
Get your own profile page and make new friends
Send personal messages to other members.

• Announcements

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

popeye!

curing your medicine

Very good info grasshopper, lol, BUT there are a few things you left out that are VERY important.

When hanging the fresh trimmed buds, make sure your humidity is under 70% and put a small fan blowing in the area. Dosen't have to be directly on the buds, but air circulation is very important to keep mold spores from forming. If you can dial it in to hang for 10 days, you will love the smootheness. Your are at this point trying to break down the Chlorophyl and starches within the plant and letting it turn into sugars. Drying too fast causes a very harsh smoke.

When they are dry I like to go straight into large paper bags. About 6-8 inches deep. This will bring out some of the moisture from the larger buds and reconstitute the buds. The paper from the bags will also wick out some moisture. I like to gently fluff up the buds for complete drying. In the bag they will compact your buds which some people like. But if you do not fluff them a little, the centers can stay moist.

After 3-5 days in the paper bag, I then go to either large mason jars with airtight lids, or 5 gallon buckets depending on the size of the harvest ;). Check on them every day for the first couple days to make sure they are not too moist. If they are, do as Popeye mentioned and lay them out somewhere for a couple hours then put them back in. After this, I check on em maybe once a week or so. If they are good after a week, I dont mess with them. Some people claim that the buds give off a type of gas and reccomend burping the jars daily. IMHO putting them in the bag takes care of the need to do this.

A good cure process should take ya about 3 weeks. If your in a hurry, lol, then set some meds aside to dry and do your thing with the rest.

I have tried meds sealed in jars, vaccume sealed and burried underground, sealed in quality airtight plasic containers, etc, and IMHO they start to degrade in about 6 months. We like them fresh. lol.

I don't.use the brown bag method I have in the past but now I.just do it as I mentioned goes from hanging into jars and from jars into my pipe lol but its not a bad idea for people to try both methods maybe try one plant the brown bag way one plant just the jar way and see wat method works for you the best thankz for the info about under 70% humidity didn't think about that but that's definitely high humidity likes to create mold and if you do use a fan make sure the fan isn't blowing on the buds directly this will make them dry unevenly and a lil faster then u want them to be drying

also cooler temps with the lower rh is the trick.... to much heat makes the trichs evaporate out to fast low 75 or so...as too high heat also makes it harsh ... good thread for sure....i cure the same as u guys....

u cant save a strain unless you give it away

favorite cure is to take all fan leaves then pull plant roots and all.  clean dirt from roots and short soak (5 min) in boiling water.  then hang roots and all paying close attention to humidity heat and airflow as stated above.  hang for at least 5 days.

this method produces the smoothest smoke i have ever tried.  but do not believe me; give it a try and see.  take one really nice branch and cure your normal way, then the rest as described above.  you will be amazed.

Any insights into the theory behind boiling the roots?   

Boiling water is sufficient to kill most bacterias, but 5 minutes is fairly short to kill off all mold spores at atmospheric pressure, although I'm sure it still helps. 

Any insights into the theory behind boiling the roots?   

Boiling water is sufficient to kill most bacterias, but 5 minutes is fairly short to kill off all mold spores at atmospheric pressure, although I'm sure it still helps. 

I did this a few times, It seemed to make the plant cure faster.

I have a friend who insists that before harvesting I ought to expose half the rootball, pour boiling water on the roots and then immediately pour cold water on them..he said this helps with resin production by making the plant think it has to protect itself from fire, not curing. He also doesn't actually grow cannabis.

Just found it interesting that this is the second time I've heard about boiling roots.

I have a friend who insists that before harvesting I ought to expose half the rootball, pour boiling water on the roots and then immediately pour cold water on them..he said this helps with resin production by making the plant think it has to protect itself from fire, not curing. He also doesn't actually grow cannabis.

Just found it interesting that this is the second time I've heard about boiling roots.

I do not boil my roots because I don't remove my root ball since I doing Notill living organic soil I reuse my Containers so pouring boilin water would only kill off my microbial heard and be non benificial, but I've heard all kinds of things 10 years ago when I started growing I was taught to hang them up to dry with a rusty nail the rusty nail was supposed to rush thc to the buds at the last minute but now I know this isn't true

It just sounds so painful for the plant. Even if it "works," I'm not sure I could boil the roots of a living organism. We do have a responsibility to the plants who give so generously to us.

hivemind-150.jpg

Welcome to the Hive Mind

My mind is on vacation. Please, kindly inform me if you see it. It is likely wearing a sparkle, rainbow wig, and comes to the name "Kristen."

LOLZ @ the rusty nail!!

'Ya see now, ya wanna give the old girl tetanus, see? That way she gets lockjaw see? And can't chew up none of her thc, see?'

That's rad. Definitely not going to boil the roots like buddy recommended either though[emoji41]

This friend always has hilarious suggestions that are typically useless.

I boil the roots, but... for different reasons, and not while still attached to the rest of the plant.

Cannabis roots are quite useful for topical solutions.

I boil the roots, but... for different reasons, and not while still attached to the rest of the plant.

Oh really? ...go on...
Google search for cannabis roots. You will find lots of info.

Here is one article about it. Personally I would hesitate to ingest it, as there are a lot of alkaloids which could potentially be bad to be ingesting much of, but people do it. As a topical application however, this is not a concern.

http://sensiseeds.com/en/blog/getting-roots-cannabis/

Before

Oh really? ...go on...
Google search for cannabis roots. You will find lots of info.

Here is one article about it. Personally I would hesitate to ingest it, as there are a lot of alkaloids which could potentially be bad to be ingesting much of, but people do it. As a topical application however, this is not a concern.http://sensiseeds.com/en/blog/getting-roots-cannabis/

Before I started doing living organic soil I used to do exactly that and save my root balls to make root balm even sent a batch out to the community to test out and got lots of good feedback but leaving the roots intact in living organic soil gives the micro organisms in your soil something to feed on in between transplants cuz you ultimately want to cut one plant down and then plant a new one right next to the old stump and then the micro organisms switch over to the new plant and help it thrive

I like to remove as much of the fan leafs and non sugar coated bud leaf as possible the couple days leading up to harvest. By doing that before hand, when you chop your babies all you have to do is chop and hang. Depending on what grow technique I used for the grow, I will remove the plants from the tent and then remove any lights or cords that might be in the way. I then wipe everything down with a disinfectant to make sure it is as clean and sterile as possible. I then hang whole plants for about 2 days. Then I will remove stems and hang for around 5 days. I keep the tent as close to 60% and 60* as possible. I keep my exhaust fan on and adjusted to the rate of the R/H, to low and I slow it down or shut it off all together, to high and I speed it up and open more vents. I like to remove the nugs and do a final trim right before the stems will crack instead of bend so that I keep some moisture in them. My mentor used to place the fresh trimmed nugs in a clear plastic tote with a humidity gage in it so that he could monitor it until he was able to keep the lid on for 24hrs at a R/H of 60% then he would place in jars loosely and check everyday for 3 days then a week then not until he needed them. I get my jars ready by placing a humidity pack (62) in each one and close the lid a couple days before I plan on using them, that way they are ready to go when I am. When I am done with the final trim, I place them on drying racks for about 12 hrs or until crispy then place them in the jars. I check them at 12hrs then again at 24. After that last check, with the humidity packs I can pretty much just leave them be for a couple days where I will check them one last time and then just seal them up for long term storage. The humidity packs make life so much easier and safer that I swear by them and will never try to cure without them again. They take all the guess work out of it and more than pay for them selves at 98 cents each. 

IMG_0785.jpg

Never stop growing