RAW Mini Tray with Lid Bundle Giveaway @ShopRPD Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

xbrpete

Easiest cloning,,,

I am ready to plant the clone that is growing roots. Can I just transplant this into some promix/perlite?

“You have control over your work alone, never the fruit.”  "If you don't try to be great, you don't really even have a good chance of being good"

Yup! water the medium first, and stick her in! Then I like to water a bit more to make sure it all settles in right. Careful of the roots of course........you got this MOO, you got two green thumbs and but had a black atmosphere cloud over your head! Glad its clearin up for ya! :D

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

The plant I transplanted yesterday is looking like a sad panda.  Hopefully it is just a little shocked and make a turn around. 

IMG_4746_zpsb9d896f0.jpg

Peace

“You have control over your work alone, never the fruit.”  "If you don't try to be great, you don't really even have a good chance of being good"

It looks like it needs a humidity dome around it kinda, or too moist of soil?  Let the soil dry. give er moderate light ...from looking at the two cups I would say the soil is staying too wet, or watered too often.... I've been wrong though, once.... :LOL:

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

I moistened the soil a bit before I put the clone in. It had a chance to dry out and looked like the picture above. Some water helped it perk up a little bit. Great idea on the humidity dome I think I remember a DIY on making little domes with bubble wrap or something

if you can find clear plastic cups that go over your existing cups (clear upside down on top) you can pop a few holes in em and they make OK humidity domes. 

It fit under my main humidity dome. I have been misting 2x a day to keep humidity in the dome. As for as how it's doing, well It's....... alive. Which is a good thing :) I keep an eye on it and check back

Its been 17 days and the clone above isn't showing any new growth.  It is alive but not growing. :(

I am going to transfer 4 of 6 clones rooting in water into soil tonight.  Two of them have long roots that are swirling the cup, a couple inches long.  Do I just put these into a hole like the others?  Or do I have to trim the roots so they are smaller?  I have read that the longer roots don't do as well... Any tips would be greatly appreciated because the plants these clones are from smell amazing!!  Like fresh strawberries.

to speed rooting up temp is important sit your cup on something or near something that keeps the water 70-80 degrees and i think you will have success!!! all plants protect themselves if you seed a garden to early the seeds only rot they never sprout this is all due to the fact that plants grow themselves basically,they only sprout if conditions are correct for growth!!

Hi all,

Although offdababa mentioned taking the cuttings for clones into early flowering I was looking for other information too.

I like general gardening and there's a pre-flowering/pre-woody growth stage with most plants and it's during that period that the best cuttings are made. So on roses the shoots that have a lime-ish tint to them before the flowering are ideal for cuttings...same-ish looking shoot taken a few days later can be totally unsuccessfull. Brown dot's/dis-colouration and other signs of the age of the shoot have to be noticed.

Also, on roses and with many plants there is a place to take the cuttngs from that is best suited. I.e rose's do well when cut at an angle and near a thorn (that you break off).

So when is the best time to take the cuttings? (and how do you recognize it?)

Where is the best place to take the cuttings from?

Also, once a grow has begun and cuttings are taken during the vegitive stage...what's the best way to balance out when to take the cuttings....so they can be ready to put under lights when the last grow is finishing? (I don't know enough to ask that question any better so I hope you can make sense of that).

cheers

Edited by moorlandmoss

So when is the best time to take the cuttings? (and how do you recognize it?)

..I take them when convenient.   After they are a foot or so high at least but before flower.  Older, larger clones tend to kick butt. 

Where is the best place to take the cuttings from?

...I suppose the tips of the plants root the fastest, never did a side by side, but thats the rumor. :LOL:  I take em from the bottom when I clean em up before flower.  

Also, once a grow has begun and cuttings are taken during the vegitive stage...what's the best way to balance out when to take the cuttings....so they can be ready to put under lights when the last grow is finishing?

Again this is a matter of convenience and where it fits into your grow style.  Generally it should take less than 10 days to clone a plant.  A plant will give healthy clones if it is healthy anytime before flower really and big enough to give ya a decent sized cutting.  IMHO little cuttings tend to be more hassles.   

I hope this helped. 

Thanks it does help. :-)

So better to wait for larger clones nearer the end of the vegitive state. Got it. Timing will be dependent on my grow cycle.

Ok....

Soooooooo ...If (and I walk carefully though poorly understood terms)......If I lollipop the girls and put them through the scrog grow method...I will have a pile of cuttings?

If I use any method of growing I'll be doing sometype of pruning so I will always have a pile of cuttings?

If I always have a pile of cuttings don't I always have a pile of little clones? A little green self-replicating army?

It's sounding like cloning is an easy and a great way to maintain a particular strain/plant (commercial voice) or am I missing something? (Hope no-one minds me asking that off topic question....I will do some more forum reading on the subject.).

Edited by moorlandmoss

If I lollipop the girls and put them through the scrog grow method...I will have a pile of cuttings? Yup

If I use any method of growing I'll be doing sometype of pruning so I will always have a pile of cuttings?  For all practical purposes, yup

If I always have a pile of cuttings don't I always have a pile of little clones?  Potentially, Yup

A little green self-replicating army?  That made me laugh, thanks. 

...cloning is an easy and a great way to maintain a particular strain/plant (commercial voice) or am I missing something?  Your correct.

:D    

Ok...sounds great. I'm looking forward to playing horticulturist.

This thread ad the one I just read http://freemygreenpdx.com/topic/73-cloning-by-eddiekirk/

have helped me feel a lot more confident about my grow. I've been playing with cuttings and gardening since I was a boy and I was thinking of weed as some type of exotic plant...but there's people doing grows with cfl's and cuttings from late flowering plants...so....without wanting to say it...but realizing it makes sense now why it's called "weed"!

There was an old lady who pottered about the shared gardens where I grew up and she taught me that, with cuttings if you haven't got hormone powder at hand then saliva works just as well...

but...given these are medicinal plants and could be used by others....probably best not to be licking them!

I was thinking of weed as some type of exotic plant...but realizing it makes sense now why it's called "weed"!

That says it.  A lot of marketing dollars go into the growing industry.   If you grow it like hot peppers, you'll be fine :D     

Announcements