• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Soulreaper

Clarified Butter

Ok, ive alrdy decided to make some canna butter once i got my harvest done next month. So was out shoppin for grocerys tonight and cant find any clarified butter @ walmart or safeway. Any1 have any good leads to get some? if not i guess i gonna find a milk farm and make it myself lol.

newsig_zps1a27cc72.png

Use UN-salted butter

Clarified butter is milk fat rendered from butter to separate the milk solids and water from the butterfat.[1] Typically, it is produced by melting butter and allowing the different components to separate by density. The water evaporates, some solids float to the surface and are skimmed off, and the remainder of the milk solids sink to the bottom and are left behind when the butter fat (which would then be on top) is poured off.

Commercial methods of production also include direct evaporation, but may also be accomplished by decantation and centrifugation followed by vacuum drying; or direct from cream by breaking the emulsion followed by centrifugation.[2][3]

HOW TO MAKE IT

220px-Butterschmalz-2.jpg

Home » OR » Portland OR » Food

Kitchen Notes: Clarified Butter Portland OR

Clarifying butter is as simple as melting butter and letting the milk solids settle or rise out of the fat. Care should be taken not to burn the butter while heating it, so use a heavy pan that doesn't have any hotspots (see Common Materials of Cookware for more information on hotspots).

How to Make Clarified Butter

Butter is a versatile cooking ingredient that is the key to many sweet and savory recipes. One way to make it even more versatile is to clarify it. That is to remove all of the water and milk solids from the butter. Clarified butter will help you cook like a graduate of a school of culinary arts.

Butter is made up of three components butter fat, milk solids, and water. When the water and milk fats are removed butter’s smoke point, the temperature at which it begins to burns, goes up making it ideal for pan frying and sautéing.

Clarified butter is used in many cultures throughout the world, where it goes by different names:

• Brown Butter – England
  • Beurre Noisette – France
  • Ghee – Southeast Asia and India
  • Samna – Middle East

No matter what it’s named, clarified butter is a versatile and useful ingredient in the kitchen.

Making Clarified Butter

Let’s take a look at the steps for making clarified butter:

• Melt 1lb (4 quarters) of unsalted butter in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan. You may also use only a stick or two of butter depending upon your needs. Be careful not to use less because the butter will burn too quickly
  • Let the butter simmer until a whitish foam forms on top. That is the milk solids and water separating from the butter fat. As it continues to simmer, the water will start to evaporate from the pan
  • After a minute or two, the steam will lessen as most of the water has evaporated out. Take a ladle or a fine-screened sieve and scrape the white foam from the top
  • Remove from the heat and let stand for about five minutes
  • Slowly pour the butter into another dish. There will be some white milk solids on the bottom of the pan. Do not agitate the liquid as the milk solids and butter fat will mix again
  • What you pour off is pure butter fat or clarified butter