• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

EDDIEKIRK

Fungus Gnat Eradication

Growstone-Beauty-shot-small-stones-jpg-240x300.jpg

Fungus gnats thrive in moist environments. Allowing the soil to dry between watering’s kills gnat larvae and makes your plant less hospitable to adult gnats looking for a place to lay eggs. You may not want to let your soil dry out, or if you are like a lot of people, you tend to overwater and the soil is always moist. Growstones have a dry, rough texture that gnats do not want to land on or lay their eggs in.

For gnat eradication, just top-dress the soil in your pot with a half-inch to one inch of the Growstone Super Soil Aerator. You want to cover thoroughly all the soil, peat or coir. Fungus gnats prefer moist soil with a lot of organic matter and will avoid plants top-dressed with Growstone. We believe that the dry, rough surface of Growstone causes the gnats to not land on it and to not lay eggs. Any gnats already in the soil will not emerge. Again, we want to stress that none of this is proven scientifically, but it sure seems to work and no chemicals!

Source

*Builders sand can also be used. Not beach sand EK

or diatomaceous earth. Its food grade, good for lots of stuff and mostly silica and iron!

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

Guest doobieman

I fricking hate fungus gnats , I use a three step approach,

1:Gnatrol or azatrol , something like that,

2: Sharp sand / DE

3: sticky traps to monitor infestation levels

as preventative I always let my soil dry well before watering again, buy soil from somewhere they dont store it outside....

I get gnats just about every time i get a clone from someone else. Coincidence or not, it SUCKS.

I need to buy some GoGnats.

I get gnats just about every time i get a clone from someone else. Coincidence or not, it SUCKS.

I need to buy some GoGnats.

They usually come with mites and sometimes PM too, but I spray for those anyhow. The stupid gnats get past the spray + quarantine lol.

also if using the stone method don't forget about the drain holes in the bottom of the container.. they love going in there also if need be... with coco i bottom feed most times so the top stays dry... i just let the containers set in about 3in water,food at a time till gone then refill.. keeps them down rather well... all good things to help above... i also have sticky traps at all times around the rooms just to monitor and make sure something don't get started with out me knowing.... KaK

u cant save a strain unless you give it away

I fricking hate fungus gnats , I use a three step approach,

1:Gnatrol or azatrol , something like that,

2: Sharp sand / DE

3: sticky traps to monitor infestation levels

as preventative I always let my soil dry well before watering again, buy soil from somewhere they dont store it outside....

Gnatrol is the only thing that i have found that actually works on these bastards.. I tried all kinds of stuff and this was the only thing i found effective at all

Mosquito Dunks the only thing that has ever worked for me, and Ive tried pretty much all of them. GoGnats, Gnatrol, Various essential oils, cedar oil, sulphur,...Mosquito Dunks always work for me, everytime like a charm. I use outdoor composts inside so I see them in the begining of most runs. Although I can say that root mites such as this one

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/fungus-gnat-predator.html do work as well. I got these by chance they came in from soil I brought inside. At first I thought surely they were bad, I mean cmon its a mite. I got out the microscope to examine, did some research and behold they are beneficial mites. I still have a natural distaste for mites so they are hard for me to accept, but they do wipe out gnats...