Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Root Administrator

Envind's photos and explainations

Ok, trying to bring a little content to our new world, lets see if I remember how to post.

handgrind.jpg

take dry plant matter, and grind it up. After these photos, I found that carla and Greywolf use a strainer basket and a leather glove, grinds easier, more consistently, and the glove protects your skin.

Resized to 57% (was 800 x 510) - Click image to enlargetoasting.jpg

once ground, put on flat cookie sheets, and put into oven at 250-350 degrees... temp is not as important as you paying attention. This is to "carboxilate" (sp?) or "potentiate" the THC by removing any moisture, and additional carbon chains, that are holding on. basically, put stuff in oven, close oven, and stand around talking untill you smell green, about 10-20 mintues. a lower heat can be used, say 225, if you want to leave it over night, just be sure you don't have hot spots.

Resized to 57% (was 800 x 600) - Click image to enlargehotplateandalcohol.jpg

for supplies, 99% iso (or 95% everclear), a hot plate, a sealed heating unit (crockpot or rice cooker) for cookoff, and a reflux rig. the rig is not complicated:

Resized to 77% (was 593 x 600) - Click image to enlargebowlinbag.jpg

I used a 2.5 gallon steel pasta pot, a 15" metal bowl, and a small plastic bag, and a rubber band. Not high tech, but perfectly functional.

refluxinplace.jpg

so, put plant matter and 99% iso into pot, I try to use 1 gallon of iso to 16 oz or so of plant matter, but that can vary depending on quality. once in the pot, stir, put metal bowl on top, cover with plastic bag, and use the rubber band to make an airtight seal on the pot. the metal bowl on top is filled with ice (great trick, if you have 2 matching metal bowls, a little water in the bottom one, ice in the top, easier to toss out the melted ice as you work). now put it on hotplate, and heat it for 4-6 hours on low... you will hear it boiling.

If you have any smell, there is a leak, and you need to fix the seal on the bag. The plastic bag is there to let you know there is a problem, it will inflate to show there needs to be more ice, and it will actually knock the ice down as it melts, as the bag inflates/deflates with the change in temperature.

Now, boring boring boring for hours... if this is exciting, you screwed up.

ok, now cook some more. time for a smoke!

Now more cooking.

iceinplacereflux.jpg

as you cook, the crystals will melt into the solvent, but so will some of the green color

Resized to 57% (was 800 x 600) - Click image to enlargestripped2.jpg

ok, now strain:

Resized to 82% (was 556 x 600) - Click image to enlargepressandstrain.jpg

Resized to 57% (was 800 x 600) - Click image to enlargestrainthroughsilkscreen.jpg

we used 200 mesh silkscreen, then filtered through paper coffee filters. deep fry fat filters would work great, from restaurant supply.

Now take that saturated solvent, "green hulk", and put it into your element-sealed cookoff pot - crockpot and rice cooker's are just safer, they contain the heat element inside, less likely to have a spark/fireball.

Resized to 57% (was 800 x 616) - Click image to enlargecooker.jpg

http://i1226.photobu...wngreenhulk.jpg

http://i1226.photobu.../almostdone.jpg

http://i1226.photobu.../quiescence.jpg

final picture is of "quiescence", when there is no more water to cook off the solvent, and it stops bubbleing. by this point, stop heating the pot, or you can burn your oil. as you cook down, use a plastic scraper if available, silicone is better won't melt, to keep stuff from sticking to the bottom. if stuff does stick, some waxes made it through the filter process, just let it sit, and tip the pot to the sides, it will keep the wax out of the oil as you draw it into syringes.

http://i1226.photobu...finishedtar.jpg

http://i1226.photobu...0RSO/capped.jpg

these are 10cc ORAL SYRINGES... the oral syringe is larger, easier to use, easeir to fill, and has a cap to keep the good stuff inside the tube until needed.

http://i1226.photobu...ngofGenesis.jpg

this tube was for genesis, no on else can consume this much!

http://i1226.photobu.../finished10.jpg

If I remember correctly, a pound of trim, 2 gallons of ISO, and we ended up with about 100 grams of oil.

This is a deep extraction process.  there are a LOT of waxes and impurities that are pulled out of the plant.  

I have never tried to winterize it, heck of an idea, it should help with all of the waxes that make it so .... odd.

Great idea, thanks! I need to give that a try.

I tried winterizing my last batch and made a huge mess ton of wax like you said I tried using silk screen material to filter with , i might not have used a large enough amount of 190 everclear had around 100grams of oil which i placed in a large mason jar and filled but had hard time getting things to mix till very thick. Just wondering whats the best way to try and clean a full plant extraction up or should I just boil off the 190 and call it good ! :-)

I am going to try this next run:

continue through the reflux process, and strain the plant matter out of the hot solvent.

Cool solvent, put saturated solvent into the freezer, and allow a few days rest.

Strain precipitate (solids) through coffee filter soaked with clean solvent, and cook off solvent in rice cooker, hot plate, etc.

I think this would work to winterize the product, wouldn't it?

I don't see why not has to be better then what i tried lol let us know how it goes if you do a run soon , I will be doing a run after the 6th when wife heads back to work as she hates when i take over her kitchen ! Thanks i know i did it ass backwards last time. :-)

This makes my gears turn. Thanks for the concise descrption, some of us need that :D 

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

Ran into an old friend that I hadn't seen in years.  He has been in 2 major motorcycle accidents, hit by people that didn't see him.  His doctor has him on

Methadone for the pain, ugh!  I want to try and get him off of that with RSO.  I've only made it once about 5 yrs ago, so I came in here to refresh my memory.

Going to make a batch when it cools down a bit, but was wondering the reference to winterizing.  Never heard that.  Anybody?

Ran into an old friend that I hadn't seen in years.  He has been in 2 major motorcycle accidents, hit by people that didn't see him.  His doctor has him on

Methadone for the pain, ugh!  I want to try and get him off of that with RSO.  I've only made it once about 5 yrs ago, so I came in here to refresh my memory.

Going to make a batch when it cools down a bit, but was wondering the reference to winterizing.  Never heard that.  Anybody?

winterizing:

Is the process of taking the finished product and curing it in the freezer,  The heavier material shall float to the bottom and congeal, (Waxes, and fats) This might take 2 days. Then you'll take a coffee filter or cheese cloth and filter off the contaminants. 

I'll point Graywolf to this question. . 

Photo (by graywolf) of the waxes

bfb6623ad94d9719812c3483a4ce228d.png

Winterizing is dissolving raw oleoresin extracted using a non polar solvent like butane, into a polar solvent like ethanol, and then lowering the temperature low enough for the C-30 plant waxes to precipitate out of solution, so they can be removed by filtration.   You then remove the alcohol and end up with an "Absolute."

We typically let it sit at 0F for around 48 hours for good wax precipitation, before filtering using either a coffee filter or vacuum filtering using a #1 lab filter.

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.

2f42e9d4a87fca6ddeddd0fbc0334c70.png

Winterizing is dissolving raw oleoresin extracted using a non polar solvent like butane, into a polar solvent like ethanol, and then lowering the temperature low enough for the C-30 plant waxes to precipitate out of solution, so they can be removed by filtration.   You then remove the alcohol and end up with an "Absolute."

We typically let it sit at 0F for around 48 hours for good wax precipitation, before filtering using either a coffee filter or vacuum filtering using a #1 lab filter.

Ok...reflux process, strain, freezer 2 days, strain, cook off correct?  I'm sure vacuum filtering does not mean using my Kirby.

Now, perhaps a silly question, but why remove the waxes...purer product?...easier on the body's system?  Thanks graywolf!

Ok...reflux process, strain, freezer 2 days, strain, cook off correct?  I'm sure vacuum filtering does not mean using my Kirby.

Now, perhaps a silly question, but why remove the waxes...purer product?...easier on the body's system?  Thanks graywolf!

The waxes are inert ingredients that reduce concentration.

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.

2f42e9d4a87fca6ddeddd0fbc0334c70.png

The waxes are inert ingredients that reduce concentration.

Hmm...well maybe I might skip that part...sounds like it could get messy.  What I made was certainly plenty strong.  When I was putting it in syringes, got some on my hand.

Wiped it off immediately.  20 minutes later I started getting very high, had to put myself to bed, and slept for 12 hours.  This was the middle of the day, had a lot to do, so I

wasn't happy.  Thanks gw!!