Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Zombie1970

Found Mold In One Of My Curing Jars

This was from a harvest about 6 weeks ago, been burping every 2 to 3 days at this point. They certainly didn't/don't feel "damp".

What do you do with moldy buds? Toss them? Can I make bubble hash from them? Not sure how I feel about it, unless the mold spores are to large for the smallest micron bag.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks!

This was from a harvest about 6 weeks ago, been burping every 2 to 3 days at this point. They certainly didn't/don't feel "damp".

What do you do with moldy buds? Toss them? Can I make bubble hash from them? Not sure how I feel about it, unless the mold spores are to large for the smallest micron bag.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks!

The mold is too small for the bags to remove. Any type of extraction you do will yield mold spores in the end product, as none of the typical filters are fine enough to remove it. However, if you make oil from the material, you can remove the mold (and the nasty flavor too) afterward.

Basically, you dilute the cannabis oil 10:1 with ethanol, run the mixture through 0.2 micron syringe filters, then boil the alcohol back off - leaving a pristine mold-free oil.

See this post:

http://freemygreenpd...dpost__p__13603

Thanks Dudz!

Not sure I want to deal with all that. If anyone wants too, I will be more then happy to donate it to your cause. :) Im guessing its an OZ or better. I'll go take a pic and post it.

how much do you have with mold? i am in pdx and will take them if you want to give them away. how close are you?

Dudz, i love that you are spreading the word. please feel free to accept meds on the behalf of skunk pharm as well. you know we will put them to good use. you can always link me to what you are accepting for us. thanks, man.

That's a bummer. They aren't useless though.If someone else doesn't take them, I would be more then happy to make some extract with that.

9_Home_page_banner.jpg

Working on getting it to eloquentsolutions, if for some reason it doesn't work out, I will let you know.

I checked my other jars today, and they look clean, its strange that only one jar got mold, but I am grateful non the less.

If I.could possibly refer you to my post under the harvest section its called curing your medicine I posted it and I explain my method I pop jars every 24 hours in the curing process till no.moisture comes back in the buds then do a 72 hour closing to get the rest of the cure completed so ya check.that post out it's got bunches of.good.info

For the future, it's a little hard to over-dry bud in this climate. I'm from Montana and if I didn't jar my stuff after a couple of days on the line, it dried WAY too much and became all crunchy and didn't cure properly. IMHO you should let it stay on the line longer than what most people on the interwebs will tell you because this valley is SUPER humid compared to the rest of the US.

For the future, it's a little hard to over-dry bud in this climate. I'm from Montana and if I didn't jar my stuff after a couple of days on the line, it dried WAY too much and became all crunchy and didn't cure properly. IMHO you should let it stay on the line longer than what most people on the interwebs will tell you because this valley is SUPER humid compared to the rest of the US.

good advise.

I have a hard time drying by the law and beating mold at the same time.

I never go over my plant limit, its just drying it while making it clear they belong to only one plant. Cataloged each branch with pictures taken, PITA. Beating mold and walking the line without losing your crop or freedom, while living in a rainforest.. This is the only info I could find

watch @

From this thread

http://www.rollitup.org/outdoor-growing/250360-oregon-medical-growers-how-stay.html

I agree with everyone here.  If your a little Rouge, you could make gumby-style hash out of the material, and I think most the mold spores would end up floating and removed....far cry from extraction but if your not too picky...

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

bummer man....im not sure thers anything ya can do to save it in bud form.... butane extraction maybe, but if your a patient with immune problems sepcifally the lungs i wouldnt chance it

suffering within yourself, and the truth leaves you dying alone. The pain behind the eyes has a destiny, so use the hate to fuel the fire inside,. choices leave you trapped, and every route you choose is a path that leads back to the start. you might accept defeat in a world out to get you, but the finger on the trigger is yours.

depends on the type of mold. aspergilus is dangerous and can kill.  botrytis and powdery mildew are not necessarily harmful although they taste bad.  they can be removed from hash oil without consequences.  mold developed from plant material trapping moisture is very suspicious.

good call kpin.

aspergillus

aspflavlogo2.jpg

What is aspergillus?

Aspergillus is a fungus whose spores are present in the air we breathe, but does not normally cause illness. However an individual with a weakened immune status may be susceptible to aspergillus infection.
Aspergillosis is a group of diseases which can result from aspergillus infection and includes invasive aspergillosis, ABPA, CPA and aspergilloma. Some asthma patients with very severe asthma may also be sensitised to fungi like aspergillus (SAFS). There is a section devoted to the needs of patients, friends and family suffering from the effects of Aspergillosis.

Botrytis Or Gray Mold

Gary W. Moorman, Professor of Plant Pathology

The plant pathogenic fungus Botrytis is found virtually everywhere plants are grown. It is fast growing, can grow on many different sources of nutrients, survives well in the greenhouse, and can attack many different types of plants. The disease caused by Botrytis is commonly called Botrytis blight or gray mold.

The fungus:
Botrytis at first appears as a white growth on the plant but very soon darkens to a gray color. Smoky-gray "dusty" spores form and are spread by the wind or in water. In greenhouses, any activity will result in a release of spores. Even automated trickle irrigation systems, when turned on, trigger a release of spores. These spores are often found on the outside of seeds. The spores can remain dormant on plant surfaces as long as the life of the plant in some cases. Botrytis forms two types of resting structures on or in infected plant tissue: 1) very dark brown or black multi-celled structures called sclerotia and 2) single-celled, thick, dark walled chlamydospores.

Powdery mildew

Powdery mildew is a fungal disease that affects a wide range of plants. Powdery mildew diseases are caused by many different species of fungi in the order Erysiphales. It is one of the easier diseases to spot, as its symptoms are quite distinctive. Infected plants display white powdery spots on the leaves and stems. The lower leaves are the most affected, but the mildew can appear on any above-ground part of the plant.

330px-Barleypowderymildew.jpg

Even more important to consider before salvaging moldy meds, Mycotoxins.

You cant filter them, "kill" them, some reports suggest they are more toxic in the human body than heavy metals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycotoxin

I say if your making medicine for sick people,toss it. Even if you arent making meds, whats it worth to you? My health is paramount to all things. As is respect for the Temples of others.

Flowers grow on trees.

Holistic Healing

in researching spore size, we, skunk pharm research, determined that using the same syringe filters used by the medical industry, they are filtered out, except aspargillus.  i do understand your comments, though, HO.

(btb, give a call. still cannot find your #.)

As has been noted, its possible to filter out foul smelling and tasting mold material, but not the mycotoxins, which can be deadly.  There are clues to what the mold is, in that Botrytis and Powdery Mildew only grow on living plants and composting molds like Aspergillus grows only on dead plants.

Aspergillus is easily recognized using a microscope, by its distinctive holy water sprinkling Aspergillum shaped mold body, and its aflatoxins glow green under black light.

We all ingest Aspergillum mold spores and aflatoxins daily, because they are all around us, but concentrations of it, or a compromised immune system like many OMMP patients suffer from, can be a deadly combination.  For the latter reason, we advise against using Aspergillus contaminated herb.

Here are our procedures:http://skunkpharmresearch.com/salvaging-moldy-material-2/

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.

2f42e9d4a87fca6ddeddd0fbc0334c70.png