• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

l3SV

Trader Joes / Weight Loss

febuary 2011 my wife came to me and said that she wanted to change the way we do things as far as grocery shopping and eating were concerned. i went in for a physical and that was the trigger my wife said. i weighed in at 264lbs. first off we just decided to start shopping the exterior wall of the store (still winco at this time) for most our stuff. the walls are where the fresher stuff is. we weeded out the noodle ronis, and all other things that carried a load of persevatives and growth horomones. we carried on like that for about a month. then my wife came to me for an "update" on this convo / situation. we decided to go one step further, to try and go all organic.....now i didnt know much about this stuff so we took a couple weeks to educate ourselves. some things matter more than others and some not much at all. we began shopping at joes w/ the exception of cheeses and meats and a few other odds and ends. those in particular WERE definately more expensive. we elected to continue at winco for those items. the way i figure it, ppl spend tons of money on jenny craig or workout memberships, im just spending it on my food and now eliminating all the other legwork to get healthy. i kept track of my recipes for 2 months running on the comp and broke it all out to price / measurement of all items. not the price for the items as different packages / companies deal in different weights. what i came up with is this....if i were to go to winco and fill my cart w/ everything except meat and cheeses, bring it up to 200 dollars. then go to joes (get the same items and quantities) and do the same thing, i came out spending about 15 dollars more at joes. sounded good to me.

well, here i am now in april of 2012 and im now daown to 195 - 205 lbs. thats 60 pounds or so!

i feel a little guilty as i know it IS easier for men than women but i can honestly tell you the only other thing we changed is eating fast food much less. maybe from 2, 3 times / week to about 1 / month now. you hear stories from time to time where someone decided to commit to being a gym rat for 3 months straight working out for 4 hours a day. well i did nothing like that, no exercise change. i just put better fuel into my body. im a joes fan for life!

hope this inspires someone, im personally thrilled.

Great story, congrats on the weight loss, and I'm glad you are living a more healthy life!!! :)

I eat very unhealthy-like myself, but I am very fortunate to not have a weight problem along with it. I have a fast metabolism that burns it off ridiculously fast - had it all my life and at age 37 it isn't showing any sign of changing. Unfortunately, the fast metabolism doesn't keep me from getting the things which eating that crap causes - the heart disease, hardening of the arteries, strokes, etc ...so I'm sure I will still pay the price later for how I eat.

I need to change what I consume as well.

nice read ty for posting this..i need to do the switch again...it was working great then i got ill and kinda bedridden for a short time,ugg..i relapsed on processed foods..a lil here a lil there..adds up the pounds plus the loss of all the health benifits...im reinspired..as when i ate better food i could eat anything and still lose weight...

e7b57f2f0c61ad10e6d3f7c0bdf59c60.png

THE CODE OF HUMANITY:I CHOOSE TO COMMUNICATE TRUTH,I CHOOSE THE REALITY OF LIFE,I CHOOSE TO HEAL NOT HURT,I CHOOSE EDUCATION OVER IGNORANCE,I CHOOSE THE POWER OF PEACE,I CHOOSE TO LOVE GOD(OR GOOD)AND SEE GOD OR GOOD IN ALL HUMANITY,I CHOOSE TO SEEK THE SOUL IN ALL LIVING THINGS,I CHOOSE TO LINK TO THE WORLD OF INSPIRATION,I CHOOSE THE PRINCIPLE OF SHARING,I CHOOSE TO BECOME A CO-CREATOR IN LIFE AND LIVE IT MORE ABUNDANTLY.

Great story, congrats on the weight loss, and I'm glad you are living a more healthy life!!! :)

I eat very unhealthy-like myself, but I am very fortunate to not have a weight problem along with it. I have a fast metabolism that burns it off ridiculously fast - had it all my life and at age 37 it isn't showing any sign of changing. Unfortunately, the fast metabolism doesn't keep me from getting the things which eating that crap causes - the heart disease, hardening of the arteries, strokes, etc ...so I'm sure I will still pay the price later for how I eat.

talk to us at 40....the magic age!!!

talk to us at 40....the magic age!!!

YEAH,LOL..u tell em ES

e7b57f2f0c61ad10e6d3f7c0bdf59c60.png

THE CODE OF HUMANITY:I CHOOSE TO COMMUNICATE TRUTH,I CHOOSE THE REALITY OF LIFE,I CHOOSE TO HEAL NOT HURT,I CHOOSE EDUCATION OVER IGNORANCE,I CHOOSE THE POWER OF PEACE,I CHOOSE TO LOVE GOD(OR GOOD)AND SEE GOD OR GOOD IN ALL HUMANITY,I CHOOSE TO SEEK THE SOUL IN ALL LIVING THINGS,I CHOOSE TO LINK TO THE WORLD OF INSPIRATION,I CHOOSE THE PRINCIPLE OF SHARING,I CHOOSE TO BECOME A CO-CREATOR IN LIFE AND LIVE IT MORE ABUNDANTLY.

Good for you man.

I went from 238 to 180ish in 14 months.

Went and bought some 34" waist Regular cut jeans a few weeks ago. Only one rack of regular cut, everything else was "Relaxed fit". Also had to buy a new belt 'cause the old one ran out of notches.

Good for you man.

I went from 238 to 180ish in 14 months.

Went and bought some 34" waist Regular cut jeans a few weeks ago. Only one rack of regular cut, everything else was "Relaxed fit". Also had to buy a new belt 'cause the old one ran out of notches.

i know the feeling. ^-~ ive held off for a while on newer fitting cloths. i HAVE been cinching up that belt though. i shrunk right out of my brown fat-guy belt. now im down 3 spots on my black skinny-guy belt.

I need to loose weight in a horrible way. I really would love to have a Trader Joe's close by, closest one is about 70 miles round trip. I like the idea of "Shopping the walls at Winco", I normally do my food shopping at Winco. I plan to use this wall shopping method, such an awesome idea. Thanks.

“Our belief is not a belief. Our principles are not a faith. We do not rely soley upon science and reason, because these are necessary rather than sufficient factors, but we distrust anything that contradicts science or outrages reason. We may differ on many things, but what we respect is free inquiry, openmindedness, and the pursuit of ideas for their own sake.”

― Christopher Hitchens,

This feels pretty awkward to share but I think l3SV has the right idea about getting the word out.  We are who we choose to be; so we should choose to be who we want to be, right?  Well, I was fed up with choosing to be the bad example that would one day doom my children to repeat my mistakes.

My story is similar to yours, l3SV.  I've lost a little over 70 pounds now from switching to purchasing all organic and/or wild food.  We get our produce from The Kiva (local store), three things from Walmart (peanut butter, fake butter, and sliced bread), and everything else from Trader Joe's.  I think that we have all benefited from the changes greatly.