Fall Giveaway Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dudz

DIY Stackable Wooden Worm Compost Bin

Plans for a stackable wooden worm compost bin. Found these online.

This one is 14.5" square.

Worm Compost Bin.pdf

I am finishing up with a re-design of these plans for the same exact thing but in 24"x24" size, as I am designing one for myself. Will post those as well once completed.

Here are the pics from the original, now edited with new dimensions to yield a 24"x24" size.

The larger version that I did up, with three 24"x24" bins, actually costs under $50 in materials to build and will of course last for many years.

I will put a lot less food in my trash and/or down my garbage disposal.

I will have pretty much unlimited worms for fishing.

I will have excess worms, and probably castings as well, that I can toss in my raised bed vegetable garden.

I will never pay for worms or worm castings again.

-versus-

About $30 a bag for premium worm castings.

Never again!!!

I've been researching this for a while now and if you can't tell, I am going to be building one for myself ASAP.

Most of the worm/compost bins out there are really cheesy and/or made of plastic. Finding a decent design to base mine off of wasn't an easy task at all. The very few nice personal size wooden setups I could find were all being sold for around $150 - $200 ...and of course their builders aren't sharing the blueprints and the pics they have posted aren't good enough to show how it's built. I had just about given up when I stumbled on this one. My only other option was to go to the local guy who builds & sells them and pretend like I was wanting to buy one, take a really close look at it, try to reverse engineer it in my head, and attempt to copy it when I got home.

I will try to remember to snap some pics along the way and post them as well.

I've been researching this for a while now and if you can't tell, I am going to be building one for myself ASAP.

I will try to remember to snap some pics along the way and post them as well.

build one for me and i'll trade labor!

build one for me and i'll trade labor!

Once I get mine done and work out the kinks of building it, I will be happy to discuss that.

Yours will of course come with any improvements I thought of after it was too late in the process of building mine LOL.

If they come out nice enough, I might even try to market them :D

Guest doobieman

Its a MUST for a good supersoil....:ICONATOR_5870bcd63db5ca41b23150

I.E Genesis Mix

1 bag of fox farm ocean forest, two coffee cans of earth worm castings, two coffee cans perlite, two cups bone meal, one cup blood meal, handful of empsom salts, once cup dolomite lime and some kelp meal... I think that it...

Guest doobieman

definatley mix well or "hot spots" will occur good point ES

Okay, so my worm bin is built. I had a lot of help and the use of materials and tools I don't possess myself, so it's slightly different than my original plan.

Each "drawer" is 24" x 24" and 9.5" deep. All of the wood (other than the 4x4 posts) is solid 1" thick cypress wood. The metal you see in the base is some rather thick galvanized sheet metal, which has been bent/formed so it drains to the center. The lid is actually a piece of granite countertop.

worm-bin-2.jpgworm-bin-1.jpgworm-bin-11.jpgworm-bin-10.jpgworm-bin-9.jpgworm-bin-8.jpgworm-bin-7.jpgworm-bin-6.jpgworm-bin-5.jpgworm-bin-4.jpgworm-bin-3.jpg

Okay, so my worm bin is built. I had a lot of help and the use of materials and tools I don't possess myself, so it's slightly different than my original plan.

Each "drawer" is 24" x 24" and 9.5" deep. All of the wood (other than the 4x4 posts) is solid 1" thick cypress wood. The metal you see in the base is some rather thick galvanized sheet metal, which has been bent/formed so it drains to the center. The lid is actually a piece of granite counter top.

nice i will be building one soon when i get into the house... :)

ICONATOR_5870bcd63db5ca41b231502ce9098c4f.gif

TO ACCESS OUR PRIVATE FORUMS CLICK HERE! 

12863878cb1f711m3.jpg

"I'd rather be hated for who i am than loved for who i am not"

"OMMP GREEN PAGE"                        Brothers With Glass

No, sorry it isn't.

ALL of the materials for this belonged to a new friend of mine. We used his materials, his tools, and the shop in his garage. We built two of them - one for me and one for him. He did indicate that he plans to build more of them for himself so I will inquire about one for you if you'd like. No idea what he might want for it. I think he's coming over to my place tomorrow though so I can ask while he's here.

Otherwise... I can still build you one (using more standard type materials), it's just a matter of funds so it might be a while. Money is just really tight for me right now and I can't absorb the costs for the length of time it would take between purchasing materials, building it, and then delivering it to you on my next trip through PDX.

The larger version that I did up, with three 24"x24" bins, actually costs under $50 in materials to build and will of course last for many years.

I will put a lot less food in my trash and/or down my garbage disposal.

I will have pretty much unlimited worms for fishing.

I will have excess worms, and probably castings as well, that I can toss in my raised bed vegetable garden.

I will never pay for worms or worm castings again.

-versus-

About $30 a bag for premium worm castings.

Never again!!!

I did the worm bins before, it took most of a year to get the lower bin full enough for the worms to move to the next level. And it was not near a 30 dollar bag of top worm pooh but they are fun to have around.

nice design and have fun

it has been my habit to sheet compost pulling worms from mother earth and use them whole food stylie!