Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Purple Power

New Chicks

They aren't here yet. They started their trip in Ohio, last night they left Portland. 

I'd turned on the new brooder plate this morning. It takes a hour to heat up. It's nice and warm now, doesn't burn when I touch it and the shaving are cool. Their water is filled with water and vitamins & electrolytes. Just waiting for my new babies to show up

52303867_2286541601397675_3770307487123636224_n.jpg

52188078_335114997345144_953184106340941824_n.jpg

gallery_2188_61_23224.png  

Classy, sassy, and a bit of a smart assy

The chicks are here, and chirping loudly when they arrived.

My youngest cats (Midnight & Moon) are curious. Nut Nibbler came to look but once she saw chicks, she backed away. Keep in mind she got beat up twice in one month by two different teen hens (Ritz and Cookies). Besides Nibbler's pride taking a big hit, she had two black eyes, a bloody nose, and small upper tiny teeth knocked out both times. only 2 tiny teeth survived.

4 8 2021 Midnight and Moon meeting chicks.jpg

4 8 2021 Midnight and Moon meeting chicks 1a.jpg

The chicks had a long trip from Ohio and were loud and tired. I put them by the heating brooder. Once they all got under and warmed up they have quieted down a bit. I took a couple quick pics. They are napping, and occasionally pecking the shaving. Once they are rested and adjusted to their new home, I'll take more pics

4 8 2021 tired chicks 1.jpg

4 8 2021 tired chicks 1a.jpg

4 8 2021 tired chicks 1b.jpg

4 8 2021 Midnight and Moon meeting chicks 1b.jpg

Seems one of the Buff orpingtons is a brave boy already. He's on the far left of the pic below

4 8 2021 brave chicks 1.jpg

4 8 2021 brave chicks 1a.jpg

4 8 2021 brave chicks 1b.jpg

4 8 2021 brave chicks 1c.jpg

4 8 2021 brave chicks 1d.jpg

4 8 2021 brave chicks 1e.jpg

7 hours ago, Purple Power said:

The chicks are here, and chirping loudly when they arrived.

My youngest cats (Midnight & Moon) are curious. Nut Nibbler came to look but once she saw chicks, she backed away. Keep in mind she got beat up twice in one month by two different teen hens (Ritz and Cookies). Besides Nibbler's pride taking a big hit, she had two black eyes, a bloody nose, and small upper tiny teeth knocked out both times. only 2 tiny teeth survived.

4 8 2021 Midnight and Moon meeting chicks.jpg

Bad cats, spray them down. 

4 8 2021 Midnight and Moon meeting chicks 1a.jpg

4 8 2021 Midnight and Moon meeting chicks 1b.jpg

Seems one of the Buff orpingtons is a brave boy already. He's on the far left of the pic below

4 8 2021 brave chicks 1b.jpg

That looks like some kind of chicken 'Boxing ring' :D 

4 8 2021 brave chicks 1c.jpg

More pics. 

It seems my Delaware is a brave little girl. She's the bright yellow chick. She's the first one out and last to go under their brooder. She's the top chick least for now. She seems to have a buff orpington that likes to follow her around. She's already started to run around the crate. Here's some facts about her breed:

Delawares were developed originally as a commercial, dual-purpose breed in 1940, but later replaced by hybrids (Cornish cross). George Ellis crossed a New Hampshire Red and a Barred Plymouth Rock with the goal of maintaining the egg laying capabilities of both but creating a breed with increased meat potential. Delawares provided table meat to the entire east coast for a decade. In 1952, at about the same time as the American Poultry Association declared them an official breed. By the late 1990’s the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy estimated the total number of Delaware hens at fewer than 400. Many breeders keep them today with the goal of preserving the Delaware as one of America’s heritage breeds.

Delawares today make excellent backyard chickens. The hens weigh 6 1/2 lbs.  They typically lay four, large, brown eggs a week far into the winter months. Delawares mature quickly and produce a clean, white-meat table fowl. Chicks develop feathers quicker than most breeds. Robust, they handle both cold and heat well. Unlike present day commercial breeds, they do well as a free-range, foraging chicken.  

Owners describe the Delaware hens as broody but good mothers. On the whole Delawares have a mild, quiet, and calm disposition suitable to the backyard chicken farmer. The Delaware breed and temperament really offers the best of both worlds. They possess all the potential of a commercial breed with all the personality of a backyard chicken. For a slightly larger breed, Delawares have fantastic egg production. You can expect an average of about 280 eggs per hen annually. They start laying around 20 weeks  (5 months), so I'll expect her in Sept to start laying. Compared to many other dual purpose breeds, this is a decent step above the rest.

One fun thing about Delawares, is you can breed Red Sex-Links from them. If you cross a New Hampshire Red rooster with a Delaware hen, the chicks will be sex-linked. This means you’ll be able to sex your chicks based on the color of their down when they hatch

Note every female chick I got are on the endangered list

4 8 2021 brave chicks 1a.jpg

The pic below is the Buckeye. Besides being on the endangered list, I got her so Pecker has a buddy that looks close to her.  my son has already started sayiing he'll need 2 little hardhats with a light when they are out foraging in the yard.  Here's some interesting facts about this breed. Buckeye chicken is a dual purpose breed which originated from Ohio, United States. The breed was developed by Mrs. Nettie Metcalf and named from Ohio’s nickname of “Buckeye State”. This is the only chicken breed known to have been developed by a woman. And Buckeye chicken is also the only one in the American Class to have a pea comb.

In 1896 Mrs. Nettie Metcalf first bred and developed Buckeye chicken in Warren, Ohio. She crossbred Barred Plymouth Rocks, Buff Cochins, and some black breasted red games for producing this breed.

This breed gets confused with the Rhode Island Red (Pecker in my flock is this breed).   Buckeyes, structurally are very different from a Rhode Island Red. They have more muscular thighs and are more slanted with broader backs.

Buckeyes had a similar appearance to the Cornish Chicken during the early 1900's. They are large in size and sturdy chickens with broad breasts and bodies. They have very meaty thighs and strong wings. They have close, tight plumage and the primary color is a mahogany red with black tails. Buckeye chicken is the only pure American chicken breed which has a pea comb. Their small pea combs and relatively large body size make them a winter hardy breed. Comb, earlobes and wattles of Buckeye chicken are of red color. They have featherless yellow legs and the skin color is yellow. 

Buckeye chickens have their own unique personalities, so I'll keep an eye on her to pick out her perfect name. So far, she is shy.  They are very active and excellent foragers. So, they are ideal for free range system. They also do well in confinement as long as they have enough space or run to move around. But they will be much happier and produce better if allowed to range on grass.

They are unflappable and calm bird. They are also very friendly and easily handled. Buckeye chickens are extremely winter hardy. Hens produce eggs throughout the winter season. Hens are also very friendly and can be very good as pets.

They are good layers and sometimes go broody and raise chicks. But the roosters are aggressive sometimes and can be territorial during the breeding season. Buckeye chickens are slow to grow compared to other breeds.

Pullets will start laying eggs at their 6 to 6 and a half months of age. So her 1st egg will be in Oct.  They are docile, and both roosters and hens are reportedly very good mouse hunters

4 8 2021 chicks 1b.jpg

4 8 2021 chicks 1c.jpg

4 8 2021 chicks 1d.jpg

4 8 2021 chicks 1f.jpg

4 8 2021 chicks 1g.jpg

4 8 2021 chicks 1h.jpg

4 8 2021 chicks 1h.jpg

4 8 2021 chicks 1i.jpg

4 8 2021 chicks 1j.jpg

4 8 2021 chicks 1o.jpg

4 8 2021 chicks 1p.jpg

4 8 2021 chicks 1q.jpg

I lost my hen Speckles last Sept as the result of the fires. The little chick in pic above with chipmunk stripe, is Speckles II, and the only chick that has been named so far. She's a Speckled Sussex.  I did learn with this breed is to take a lot of pictures after every molt. Yes, they change that much. I read this breed is low in the pecking order and great foragers. Although Speckle would follow me around like a puppy, enjoyed lap time as she told me what was going in the flock, and help me when I'm in my garden. Yes, she was a talker. If she found something of interest, Speckles would make a noise that none of my other hens make. She wasn't the best forager. She was towards the top of the pecking order and I have many breeds that are meaner and known to bully in my flock. When Speckles would meet new chicks, instead of being very loving like I've read, she would fluff her neck feather and charge into the chicken wire trying to attack new birds. This may of been a personality thing. 

The Speckled Sussex is so good-nature that she will naturally be close to the bottom of the pecking order in a flock.  An eye just needs to be kept to make sure she's not being bullied mercilessly by the less good-hearted types. I'll keep an eye on Speckles II for this. So far she is shy, but they just got here this morning. For Speckles I, this was true until she entered adulthood and started laying eggs. 

The Speckled Sussex is one of the oldest breed known, 49 A.D. For that reason it's known as a 'heritage' breed. It's one of the breeds that crossed over the pond when people started to settle in the new world. It almost died out in the early 1900's. 

She can lay 4-5 light brown eggs each week, or around 250 eggs each year. Speckles was one of my winter layers. The eggs are a slightly tinted or light brown color and she will usually start laying at around 20 weeks old. Speckles II should start laying in Sept. 

They are kid and people friendly, relatively quiet (when not around people they know), curiousgentle, sweet, and are very effective at foraging. They aren't prone to flightiness or nervousness. They do like to talk to their owners but they really are not loud or obnoxious unless your trying to sleep. Least what my son said. Always the first to want to know what's going on, their natural curiosity can sometimes get the better of her. This can be comical at times to watch.  Ok, I have Cookies (Splash Hamburg) and she's one of the first ones checking things out too. 

hens are 6 lbs to 7 1/2 lbs. They can be gluttons, so I had to make sure Speckled wasn't dinning on the feed all day vs being out in the yard. 

Ok, back to these babies

4 8 2021 chicks 1r.jpg

Before they started eating food they all started with baby grit (tiny rocks)

4 8 2021 chicks 1q.jpg

4 8 2021 chicks 1t.jpg

4 8 2021 chicks 1u.jpg

4 8 2021 chicks 1v.jpg

4 8 2021 chicks 1w.jpg

4 8 2021 chicks 1k.jpg

4 8 2021 chicks 1m.jpg

4 8 2021 chicks 1n.jpg

4 8 2021 chicks 1s.jpg

4 8 2021 chicks 1l.jpg