Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MimiEmu

My Tincture is my dregs bottle..

Hi Everyone,

New here, one of the pandemically unemployed minions. Grew feathers going stir crazy,  love talking shop.  Here's tonight's obsession.  I have some FECO made on a long soak, didn't know about winterization so its sticky and cut with MCT to make it a bit less viscous.  Wondering if its worth the trouble to rehydrate with ethanol and go through the filter process again. Here's my evening ice water with a 1 ml shot out of the tincture bottle.  Unknown ratio of FECO vs ethanol, but its solid dark green in the dropper.  At the end of the drink, the walls look like this, see below? Need wiper!  :) 

Question,  What typically sticks to cold wet glass. Would that be only waxes, waxes+chlorophyll, waxes+chlorophyll+oils, chlorophyll+oils or just oil on the side of the  jar?  Not sure what goodness I'm leaving behind.

Do the waxes stay bound to the oils in the presence of alcohol?  I started that dropper bottle with 95% ethanol. The dropper is used to add FECO to recipes and cleans up back in the jar (common trick).   That would tell me if I should be licking the inside of the glass or just toss it in the sink. :D     

chrt-mason-jar-waxes-02.jpg

Likely a mix of all three.  Those oils and waxes are soluble in high concentrations of ethanol at room temp, but once it's dropped into a big glass of cold water, those oils and waxes are now insoluble and will have a tendency to stick to the glass.  I wouldn't be surprised if you were losing a good fraction of the product to the sides of the glass.  I'm sure some of the cannabis extract is suspended in the water long enough to get some into ya, but a lot of that goodness is just sticking to the sides of the glass. I'm not too familiar with the chemistry of chlorophyll, but in my experience, the chlorophyll extracted from cannabis in alcohol extractions doesn't seem particularly soluble in water.  I have progressively added water to cannabis extract in ethanol and it "louched" like when water is added to absinthe or pastis (it formed an emulsion).  It left cannabis extract residue on the sides of the glass just like that.  The process didn't seem to remove chlorophyll from the extract to the water to any noticeable degree.

Those waxes and oils are both soluble in room temperature ethanol (they are dissolved in the ethanol), but they are not soluble in water.  Because both waxes and oils are hydrophobic, those oils and waxes will bunch up together and eventually visibly separate from the water as you see in your photo.

Personally I'd just change my method of consumption to avoid the problem altogether.  Maybe just eat it on something? 

Hopefully this makes sense, pretty well medicated right now, so my apologies if this turns out to be incoherent ramblings.  If anything doesn't make sense, just ask for clarification and I'll stop on by when I've landed back on planet earth.

On 11/9/2020 at 10:10 PM, MimiEmu said:

Question,  What typically sticks to cold wet glass. Would that be only waxes, waxes+chlorophyll, waxes+chlorophyll+oils, chlorophyll+oils or just oil on the side of the  jar?  Not sure what goodness I'm leaving behind.

@Graywolf

Stop putting it in water.  Try milk instead, so there are fats present to absorb the essential oil.

The plant waxes, as well as the cannabinoids are non polar so they are not as attractive to the alcohol as highly polar water.  When you mix them, the polar alcohol divorces the non polar elements in favor of the polar water.

Thanks @Graywolf , you said it better and with far fewer words.  

@MimiEmu I usually don't eat or drink cannabis concoctions that often, but when I do, I also go the milk route.  I take some already vaped bud (AVB) that I have cold-water processed to help reduce the toasted weed flavor, then mix it in with about a 1/4 cup of hot whole milk in the world's smallest saucepan for about 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently (not boiling, just on the verge of simmering).  I then strain the milk to get the bud out, then drink it, pour it over oatmeal, etc. 

Since you're using concentrate that's already dissolved in alcohol, you can just drop it right into a regular old cup of milk and it should work just fine, no heating necessary.  I just use whole milk, so I can't speak for something like skim milk... I know there's still a bit of fat present in skim milk, so it's probably fine.  You'll know if it's not fine because you'll get that sticky stuff on the sides of the cup again.

I usually use less than a half-gram of the AVB because I'm a lightweight, so you might consider using more milk than I do just for the sake of flavor.