Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hi everyone, just so everyone who is interested can see it, I wanted to share a link showing how to find the comet that is now on its way out of our solar system.  It’s name is comet Neowise and it has already travelled through our solar system and is on its way out back into deep space.  It is readily visible if you have a clear view (or can find a clear view) of the Northwestern sky in the early evening for the next few weeks just as the sun goes down.  The dates show where it will be in the sky as it moves from day to day.

DA0A3F89-6B13-4832-B601-54F6F79A7AD9.png

Here is a photograph taken from Salt Lake City.  From here in Oregon it will be visible by looking to the Northwest when the sun is going down.  It will get higher in the sky as the days progress and should be visible for the next week and a half.

Go out and have a look everyone!  By the way this thing has no way of hitting earth and won’t be back for ten thousand years....

871106B0-56EE-4CA2-A6C9-AFDD65988AC9.jpeg

This photo is courtesy of Wikipedia.

Hi all:

So okay I apologize for any false impressions that this would be a blazing, bright comet!  I just came back in from spotting it from my roof in McMinnville.  It IS visible with the naked eye, but a pair of binoculars will really bring out its appearance better.  You can definitely see it with unaided eyes, but you will probably need to be outside for a bit to let your eyes adjust to the darkness.

Or you can just wait for another few days as it will rise higher in the sky.

Good luck! It won’t be back for a long time!

14 hours ago, Tentoes1962 said:

You can definitely see it with unaided eyes

Right after you posted this I wheeled outside and looked, lol, I'm too close to the airport to see even the big dipper. I really wanted to see it, But, naw. Not a chance.  

some people have been taking some awesome photos of it though. 

That’s too bad.... If you’re really intent and if you have a pair of binoculars, you can scan the sky for it and probably still spot it even with all of the light pollution you have.

I will try and get a phone camera shot of it as it gets darker tonight.

35 minutes ago, Tentoes1962 said:

That’s too bad.... If you’re really intent and if you have a pair of binoculars, you can scan the sky for it and probably still spot it even with all of the light pollution you have.

I will try and get a phone camera shot of it as it gets darker tonight.

I found the big dipper in the sky last night, but live right by the airport. How far below the big dipper is the comet?  Is it to the left or right? Thanks, Im sure my canon could find it with a 25-second aperture but would need to get the tripod out. sigh. Thanks in advance. 

So from here in McMinnville, I just checked outside and it is still a bit too bright but will be visible shortly.  I didn’t use the Big Dipper as a reference but I will tonight, as it might be of help for those with more light polluted skies...

Okay so from where I am in McMinnville, (and it shouldn’t be that much different for you in Portland), if you look at the last star (called Dubhe) which is the star at the tip of the pot (not the handle), go directly downward toward the horizon from that star.  If you follow that line with a pair of binoculars, you will find it.  I guess it is about twenty degrees above the horizon right now....

21 minutes ago, Tentoes1962 said:

twenty degrees above the horizon right now....

I have a 200 mm lens on my camera. Thanks for explaining, I think I need to wait until about 30-35 degrees from my local.

happy star gazing 

This may sound like a Linus story (the “Peanuts” character) about coming out at night and waiting for the “Great Pumpkin” to arrive, but the comet has moved quite a bit since last night.  To find it, it is best to stay outside in the dark for awhile to let your eyes adjust to the darkness (and in so doing, become able to see fainter objects).  With that, start at the star at the farthest point away from the “handle”, then follow a line directly to the ground.  Along that line, and close to two stars is the comet.

Yes so the comet has moved quite a bit so it is higher in the sky at any  given time and also it is now oriented so that it the “head” (or coma) is pointed straight downward and the tail is pointing straight up.  I saw it again last night.