Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hi so I am getting our gear ready to try some fishing for this year.  Our favorite spot has been Henry Hagg lake, but it appears that a ruckus has started there between the Robinson Family Lake House (which is the establishment on the lake where folks can rent boats, kayaks and also get geedunk (snacks), etc) and the Superintendent of Washington County Parks.  In short, the business has been shut down, and while there is a petition page (here:https://www.change.org/p/washington-county-parks-save-robinson-family-lake-house-3c768aa1-8ed3-4595-8f26-2377c914a51d  ), it doesn’t look like they will be opening back up anytime soon and to very likely be losing their livelihood.

My my wife and I were looking forward to fishing there during the bass spawn, but that probably won’t happen now.

I encourage everyone to look at the linked URL and see if they would like to participate in the petition that supports the owner of the business.

18 minutes ago, Tentoes1962 said:

(shhh, don’t tell anybody!!!)...

I won't say a word if you don't. :D 

Let us know if you get any "Takers" 

Posted (edited)

So on the Highway Lakes trip, we caught 1 trout and the marital unit caught some bluegill, but nothing to take home for supper.  Wife MUST have jinxed us!!! :)

This weekend though, we are planning to go stay in Jachats, Oregon, which is a little south of Newport.  My wife wants to kick back and relax and I plan to go fish.  There are some beautiful basalt formations that you can climb onto and cast down into fishable water, and it is impressive to feel the big waves hit the rocks and you can feel it rumble under your feet.  I love that area and hope to bring home some surf perch at least and hopefully some rockfish.  Might bring a crab pod as well!  It is always wonderfully humbling to feel the power of the Pacific Ocean spread out in front of you.

If anyone is interested in joining me, I will be there from Friday evening until Sunday checkout.  Of course I will bring my favorite pipe and some respectable flower.

I can provide two poles if anyone would like to try their luck but be aware that fishing is mostly fishing and not necessarily catching fish but damned I will be trying to haul in some supper!

Anyone interested or just curious then just respond in this thread...

Edited by Tentoes1962
Corrected misspelling

No but we are heading out in a few minutes now that the rain has subsided....we will try the area around Perpetua State Park...I will try and remember to send some pics of the area.

2 hours ago, Tentoes1962 said:

Well we got completely skunked but we got to see some pretty sites.  The two attached pictures were taken south of Yachats and were where we fished....

Boy, that sure is pretty, I bet you enjoyed the day, fish or no fish. Thanks for sharing these photos. I have not been to the coast for over 20 years. 

Yes I did enjoy it.  There are tide-pools everywhere where you can see all kinds of sea life.  Next time I will probably explore the coast south of Yachats, for better surf-fishing venues.

I appreciate the honesty, man!  My wife really likes fishing, but she REALLY enjoys catching fish!  So many times I have gone fishing and gotten skunked that I have sometimes thought that I should find a new hobby, but I always get pulled back in.  As I get older, I really enjoy fishing and catching fish is just a bonus...

Yeah fishing sure will teach u some patience and appreciation hahahaha but its rewarding :) here's a couple custom painted lures I just got yesterday cant wait to get them on the water the bluegill one will be getting redone but he wanted me to have the first one as well! 

20200616_144403.jpg

20200616_144756.jpg

Posted (edited)

Sweet!  They make ME hungry just looking at them!  I assume they have BBs or rattles in them?  It looks like you are targeting bass with them?

My wife and I have taken to the idea of finding “off-the-map” places to go fishing as well.  Oregon seems to be a LOT more amenable to that kind of fishing than in the state we’re from.  

Edited by Tentoes1962
Added additional notes...

Posted (edited)

My wife and I got back from two days at Ten Mile lakes (just north of Coos Bay).  We managed two nice Bass, both caught on plastic worms.  We fished the South Lake only, but plan to try the north lake next time.   There are a lot of places to fresh-water fish down in that area, not just Tenmile lakes.

F3D48EE0-226F-4759-88A9-00BD5C2DB4C7.jpeg

36D0FE7F-EC04-45CA-AC85-0032F4B409B0.jpeg

My wife is trying to look like she can hardly hold her fish up!

Edited by Tentoes1962

Well it the two fish didn't exactly make enough for a real "fish fry", but enough to feed me and my wife.  Poor guys were deep-fried with light breading and were delicious.

In the last few weeks I have visited Wilsonville pond and Highway Lakes (south of Salem) and have had zero luck.

At Wilsonville pond the water level is way down and I haven’t had a single bite using a top water frog.

At Highway lakes the water level may be a little lower, but not as much as at Wilsonville pond.  Having a boat or kayak would be a BIG benefit at Highway Lakes and I have seen some nice crappie come out of there, and have caught a few okay bass.  I have also caught one stocked, rainbow trout, it’s just that it is an hour’s drive from Mcminnville.

My wife and I have been looking into places to fish that aren’t on private land by looking at Google earth, and that has has been fun just going on “pond hunts”, even though we haven’t found anything yet that is fishable.

So yesterday I fished Wilsonville pond and with the help of three other people, a chain leader and a truck with a winch I managed (barely) to land this monster.....

I was lucky he didn’t drag me into the water!!

....seriously though the bite is picking up at the pond but the water level is still very low.

E3E1339F-BADE-4D4B-8988-F7335DDB138D.jpeg

A colleague of my wife owns some property near Wamic, Oregon, which is south of the Dalles.  There is an impoundment there called the Pine Hollow reservoir that is open to the public for fishing and we are planning to try our luck there tomorrow for some rainbow trout.  I would surely appreciate anyone who has some suggestions or recommendations for fishing for rainbows there!!

Here is a picture of all of the shit I have bought for trout and crappie.....if you can see everything, what else would you recommend to try?  The guy that told my wife about this reservoir sent her some pics of some BIG trout that they caught last weekend.  

When you say worms, do you mean live worms or night crawlers?

F69CFAB3-79D8-4884-9832-B2745371A721.jpeg

Also do you think small spinnerbaits would be any good, like rooster tails?

Also what about these lures? They were advertised to be for Steelhead Trout, but maybe these are too big for Rainbows?

I appreciate your opinions!

9FCFB7F1-C832-47BA-9354-DE5419EF5217.jpeg

Edited by Tentoes1962
Added picture