Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tentoes1962

Starting a small indoor grow.....

So I have resorted to using small, 20-gauge, insulated wire to support many of the buds that have grown too heavy for the stems/branches to support.  I suppose that that should work okay, but I see now why folks install the trellis/scaffolding to support the buds when they get big.  Is there anything else I should do?

4 hours ago, Tentoes1962 said:

Is there anything else I should do?

I use these retractable plant hangers, They come in different shapes and sizes and can be purchased at almost any plant store. 

I've watched @tumbleweed use pipe cleaners for years to prop/hang his up. 

1c45ca44a960bae36b5a86abeecaef4d.png

0ec83586efdb2cd77dc65626399523d6.png

Hi so I am attaching some pictures of the buds of two of the plants that I am about to harvest.  I would like to hear folks’ opinions about when I should harvest them, please.  I have a total of four plants, three of which are the same strain and one is of a different strain.

So the first two pictures are of the loner plant.  I really think she isn’t ready because the trichomes are almost all clear or milky and there are almost no brown fan leaves (they are almost ALL green and healthy looking).

In the third and fourth pics, the trichomes are a mixed bag in that I see mostly milky trichomes with a little amber in the older buds but with some that are clear in the newer buds.  Also from the pic you can see that this one has started to put on her autumn “clothes”.

Your opinions are appreciated!

55CEEF4B-273F-4EAC-86D3-EE59AB2F02CA.jpeg

41CDDC35-503A-4314-B2C6-0AB519080688.jpeg

016C6F42-B8B0-41E9-B902-47E57B17B886.jpeg

742ACBA8-489A-470B-A6CE-A96A2B4EC6AF.jpeg

Edited by Tentoes1962
Made correction

You should have pulled all those dead leaves off long ago, When you tug on them do they 'pop' right off?

No unless they are totally brown.  If there's any green anywhere on the leaf,  it takes an unpleasantly hard tug to pull it off....in other words pulling off the leaf requires a tug that almost feels like I am injuring the plant....

2 minutes ago, Tentoes1962 said:

No unless they are totally brown.  If there's any green anywhere on the leaf,  it takes an unpleasantly hard tug to pull it off....in other words pulling off the leaf requires a tug that almost feels like I am injuring the plant....

What that means is at some point, Probably after they started budding, You added too much nitrogen to the plant, those brown leaves should have fallen off, especially with a slight tug, this may cause the taste to be somewhat, earthy. Still Good, but next time you'll do better. :)

Just now, Tentoes1962 said:

So you still recommend to chop them now?

I personally would pour some treated water, (meaning leave it to sit out for 24 hours,) if you can)) then pour it through the plant. OR 'flush it ' in other words, try and get the water in the plant to come out clear, then let it sit another couple days and then chop it. Try and flush out any trace nutrients that might have built up in the plant. Then YUP. Yank her out. 

5 minutes ago, Tentoes1962 said:

So you still recommend to chop them now?

If you pull it now, It will be fine, It will just taste a bit earthy. We've all smoked earthy weed before. Just recall that the 'CURE' is what makes the plant turn out its best, so ask us about curing, or do go read about it here on the site, You can make a plant 10 times better than what it is now with a proper cure. 

Let me know if this is the wrong place to ask but what do you advise in how to speed up my trimming?  In reality I am doing a “test-trim” to just get an early sample and I am sslllooooooooowwwwwwww at it.

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Tentoes1962 said:

Let me know if this is the wrong place to ask but what do you advise in how to speed up my trimming?  In reality I am doing a “test-trim” to just get an early sample and I am sslllooooooooowwwwwwww at it.

Thank you!

If you speed it up it will not taste as good as if you slow dried it. Put it under a light for the evening, I'm sure it'll be dry overnight?

Hey so I am doing some trimming and am looking for advice on trimming methods, what-to-trim, ways to speed-up the process, etc.

I have attached a pic of a typical bud that has been left to dry (still on the original plant), and I am now beginning to trim the plants.  My goal is just some good-tasting, killer flower.  

Here’s what I’ve been doing....

1) Cut the branch and remove any fan leaves;

2) Remove any obviously dead, brown, or just-don’t-look-right material;

3) Trim off most sugar leaves (I keep this material);

4) Get the buds ready to go into the jar.

As a newbie, this is taking a long time and wonder what I can do to speed up/ improve the process.  Attached pics are of the 1) before trimming 2) After trimming off all dead material (this includes a LOT of sugar leaf tips - but just the tips are dead- no other parts of the bud leaves/flowers are dead and brown at all) This is what is taking me so long in trimming this

7629B2A4-104A-4AA7-8DE1-8065D8787763.jpeg

F1050672-389C-4304-89BA-B02A0566F3DE.jpeg

1 minute ago, Tentoes1962 said:

Any criticisms are appreciated!...

That looks awesome. No criticisms from me. 

Thank you but this trimming process is taking a LONG time and I am sure that there are ways to speed up that this Noob doesn’t know about!  My pothead wife is getting impatient with me!

When we smoke a sample of what we have now, it is very potent and has VERY little taste of any kind.  Not at all harsh and no hay taste and while I am pleased with how it has turned out, I’m hoping the cure will bring out more good flavors...

Edited by Tentoes1962
Added info

Hi all so I have one plant still in flower (alive) out of a total of four, this one left is of a different strain and it is still putting out flowers.  I HAVE to support the buds with insulated wire cuz they will drop like crazy otherwise.  How long should I keep this up?  The trichomes are about 50% clear, 50% milky and the smell is very unique.2EC45F3D-210F-450D-9524-F0077CF84C9E.jpeg.3fadd7429185c414890d01df611261fa.jpeg

I see what appears to be 'fox-tailing' a sign that the plant is experiencing some sorta trama, ie, too much light, too much heat, too much something...

I see leaves that are weeping and not yellowing, in my opinion, correctly. I personally would flush it well and then pull it before something bad happened. Something is always better than nothing, 

fox-tailing buds are not producing THC at this point and now the strength of the plant is making foxtails. someone else may say different, But, I teach how to grow a plant successfully, not how to grow the BEST plants. Sorry. 

dc3007e1f0d8c75a4f1b669659bb5939.jpg

2 hours ago, Tentoes1962 said:

I HAVE to support the buds with insulated wire cuz they will drop like crazy otherwise

That is a great idea, and quick DIY, some of the guys use yo-yos and others pipe cleaners.  I've even tied them up with zip ties. Whatever you have on hand. now I keep one of the green garden wire rolls handy, I've broken a lot of yo-yos. :D 

standing by

EK

This plant has been a bit of a problem child but it is cranking out a lot of flowers with a very unique smell.....like a sweet smell but with a hint of human body odor (yes that’s right....in other words it has a bit of an “oniony” or B.O. smell, but it’s not unpleasant).  I will post another picture of her a little later today....she is feeling much better.

So here it is at 5:30 PM and she is feeling better today after a cool, refreshing beverage.  

0A27951B-4EFF-4C92-8172-610CE57D08D1.jpeg

FD68E137-D348-462B-9B72-3B615C4BC2C5.jpeg

Hi so I am “trimming” some of the crop and since I have never done this before, I thought I might ask the experts what they think.  I have attached three pictures that are close-up shots of three different small buds that I am trying to prepare for curing/final trim(?).  I have kept all three in jars after about a two-week drying on a “clothesline” in the garage, always between 40 and 60 percent humidity.  

My intent is:

1) To remove all dead material;

2) Keep all “sugar leaves” in a separate container (or anything that won’t go into the flower jar)

3) Keep all flowers/buds in their own jar for curing.

My questions are:

1) In the pictures, what parts would you discard?

2) Should I keep the jar with the sugar-leaf trim in a jar just like the flower jar? (Humidity and temperature....)

Thank you everyone!

6F7FD1D1-7CDC-44E9-8DF3-C7009095A141.jpeg

2BD0B339-0E6E-4844-B250-9E968997B4EA.jpeg

477458E2-8D97-4C63-98FC-C7B3770E8688.jpeg

In the hope of making things a little clearer, I have attached two pics of the same bud, showing both sides.  Would you say it is ready to go into the curing jar, or should I remove more of the sugar leaves?

Thank you everyone!

8B1EBB80-D39C-4ABB-9958-DD9BAD66FC34.jpeg

FE381D4B-8491-47BE-96B1-8DFDFFFDFDDF.jpeg

If the smoke is going to be for me, I always leave some of the sugar leaves on the bud, They help protect the crystals from falling off, then when I go to pull it out of the jar to smoke, I'll just brush some of the sugar leaves off, or smoke it all,

If you're manicuring for sale you may want to take those sugar leaves off. It's all simply a preference, (I assume) 

Hey thanks EddieKirk, no it will be for me and my pothead wife! (Just kidding but she DOES like her cannabis, in all of its forms!). Once I cure it all I just planned to use it for maybe making canna-butter, maybe try a tincture, I’ll have enough to experiment.  I will probably wind-up giving some away also.