Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tentoes1962

Starting a small indoor grow.....

Say if you don’t mind taking a look at the pictures I’ve attached?  They are of four plants that I am growing in our duplex garage under CFL lights.  They sprouted about May 1st (under 18 on/6 off photoperiod) and were switched to flower (12 on/12 off) on about July 27th.  I am seeing about 60 % milky and about 40% clear trichome heads.  Any thoughts or criticisms are appreciated!

The first three pictures are of one type (breed) and the last one is a different breed (?)/strain.

078E5386-E6E0-4585-9B3F-CB31F2DECA58.jpeg

0667D4A6-3CAA-44AB-B701-2A920C8B4EC6.jpeg

9D2D22BF-A2C7-43D6-9F49-45D98C0E7221.jpeg

09AB4D70-6006-405F-8DCE-A0B67A9CA329.jpeg

Yes, the number of days are flowering days starting with the first 12 hour dark photoperiod change.

I have seen trichs go from clear, to milky, to cloudy, back to clear and then go directly to amber.

You are at day 35 in flower, and my suggestion is pretend you have a 9 weeker (63 days) and feed her accordingly. Those flowers will bulk up if you allow them. One advice I used to provide for hobby growers is "when you think its time to harvest, wait another 10 -14 days, then decide. You will be amazed what happens after 7 weeks (49 days).

Now remember, THCA converts to THC under these 3 conditions: Time (aging), Light (UVs), and Heat (combusting or vaping). So when you pack a bowl of 2% THC/20% THCA weed, after you light it and inhale, its all THC. Now my Daytime Tinctures contains 14% THCA/86% THC (should have been nearly 80% THCA but the stupid fool Erich (Pharmex) that extracted my Cherry Cobblers was "all hat, no cowboy" and failed). The taste and flavors are remarkably different than the Nighttime Tincture (100% THC). But that's is a story for a different day, as the objective was to create two tinctures within the OMMP network: one dominant in "non-pyscho active" THCA and the other dominant in "pyscho-active" THC.

The Sherwood OMMP dispensary still has a very limited supply of my tinctures and I finally received from La Grande OMMP dispensary's all my tincture inventory (La Grande was not supposed to receive the tincture, they did not want it and were not going to sell the tincture--but the gang at Pharmex thought otherwise days before their OMMP license expired). I will post more tincture information later in a new thread....sorry did not mean or desire to hijack this wonderful thread.

1 hour ago, Backdoor said:

You are at day 35 in flower, and my suggestion is pretend you have a 9 weeker (63 days) and feed her accordingly.

Thanks for all the fantastic feedback!  I love “story time” with Backdoor!

These plants have been on a diet of water and light only using Fox Farm Ocean Forest.  When you say “feed her accordingly...” I assume you mean to add nutrients/fertilizers to the water but would you offer some specific advice!  I was thinking of adding some epsom salt but since I don’t really know what I’m doing, nutrient-wise, I was going to hold off and defer to more experienced folks’ opinions.

Thanks Backdoor!

On 8/30/2020 at 8:58 AM, Tentoes1962 said:

I really appreciate the thorough responses, Backdoor!

So in your previous post:

“Determining the "harvest date" for new strains is a process, I snip and tag good sized top buds daily for 2-3 weeks (55 -77 days maturity) and conduct my quality assurance and comparative tests. In my garden, the sweet spot is seldom under 60 days; sweet spot for Cherry Cobbler is almost 10 weeks (68 days), Purple Punch is 62ish (plus minus 4 days).“......

the dates you are referring to are the time “in flower”, am I correct? 

Providing the plants food during "bloom time" is one way to gain ginormous buds. It has been my experience that plants need more than extra doses of magnesium sulfate (aka Epsom Salts). I suggest a simple, easy to use "all purpose" water soluble fertilizer containing all the micro nutrients required for Cannabis. Now, for R&D and "non-organic" growing I use SeaGrow 16-16-16 by Grow More; but NOT for my OMMP organic patient/production garden (as for these I follow 100% organic principles and use only organic amendments, a process that starts months before the plant is inserted in the grow medium).

image.png.94dbf7dd911d3a08c12a04b0f2552e95.png

71R30iVOS5L._AC_SL1455_.jpg

Sometimes you have a plant that exhibits a lighter green foliage and "is not 100% well", for those I suggest daily feedings (1-2 grams per gallon of water) of SeaGrow 16-16-16. To provide a bit of enhancer, feed 1-2 grams weekly during blooming phase (bud growth).

If you want to cheat and pickup another 25% in weight without effecting taste and quality, adding synthetics can do the job. A simple one two punch is using Hawaiian Bud and Bloom (5-50-17) (about 4-5 weeks before harvest at the rate of 1.25 grams/gallon) and then followed by your plain vanilla MPK (monopotassium phosphate) 0-52-34 (3-4 weeks before harvest at the rate of 2.5 grams/gallon). AND then nothing but water (save a few treatments of Blackstrap Molasses...5ml/gallon rate) for the last 3 weeks.

https://www.amazon.com/Grow-More-7510-Hawaiian-5-50-17/dp/B008JBX15I?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Monopotassium-Phosphate-0-52-34-Minimum-Purity/dp/B07RS55BZQ/ref=pd_lpo_86_t_1/136-8453337-2011955?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07RS55BZQ&pd_rd_r=967a3d6f-6626-43ce-9f41-1756fc5d5cdb&pd_rd_w=2BN0i&pd_rd_wg=6Q4aq&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=W2SJBBNB6P580XS01TQQ&psc=1&refRID=W2SJBBNB6P580XS01TQQ

Of course if you have money to blow, MOAB 0-52-32 (Mother of All Blooms) is a pricey option for fools.

Again, for my OMMP Grow Site, I adhere to strict Biodynamic/Organic principles and do not use synthetic enhancers nor SeaGrow 16-16-16...but did for years in a different place in a land far away (where the demand organic cannabis was nil).

OK, story time over... :)

Really I had originally set out to do a “Betty Crocker”-grow, in other words to prove to my self what a batch might turn-out to be with just soil, water and light.  I have stuck to that pretty well, with the only exception being that I have used some Neem oil and Bronner’s soap to help control a fungus gnat infestation.   Otherwise they have only had water, FF Ocean Forest and light from 5000K CFLs.

Coming to the end of the grow, there is an urge to “beef-up” the buds but I guess I should stick to my original goal and persevere.  

Here's the conflict: Most organic nutrients right out of the bag are not immediately "plant available" while many "inorganic" nutrients are. It takes time for organic nutrients to metabolize and become "plant available". Then we have this issue, after 75 days or so, most organic nutrients are fully decomposed and consumed, which means the time to add organic inputs would have been about 60-75 days ago, not now.

So feeding with an organic water soluble nutrient is your destination and that can be accomplished with a tea; bat guano teas are popular and are quite effective. However, public acceptance of using bat guano is somewhat mixed. Some suggest those that collect bat guano do so in hazardous conditions and involve political corruption (Peruvian Seabird Guano for example). So, here we have an effective organic solution that may not be socially correct. In the world we live in today, one must choose their words and actions carefully (as some people are easily offended) thus I no longer mix Bat Guano into my grow medium but reserve it for teas.

Well that just sounds bat-shit crazy!!  

:)

NO JUST kidding!! Seriously I couldn’t pass that up!

I will really check with my local nurseries and see what they have, and if they don’t have it I will try on-line.

Thank you Backdoor!

Just trying to apply my wisdom to  your predicament, and  provide your with a pathway to success, Kinda hard to do things today, that should have been completed weeks earlier--without cheating.

Oh I understand and really appreciate your insights and experiences!!  Honestly, if I don't incorporate all of your ideas, please don't interpret that as an indication that I don't care or appreciate your input.  Like you said, to do things right, (all-organic, etc) I should have started awhile ago.  I get that and I hope to hear more of your great information!

So one of my four plants is developing some spots (pics 2 and  3).  She is the same strain as the others (pic 1) and this one is the only one that is exhibiting this problem.  They were all grown at the same time from seed.  So all of the plants in the pictures are in day 40 of flower.

Any advice is appreciated....

14C9E2F5-0D1C-47FA-9CF3-F35265BD6697.jpeg.9ede351dd2c87a0b6454ec8aa0442219.jpeg

69C5775E-376F-4EFC-BBE2-5C523013AB0B.jpeg

424352B9-9DE9-451F-9F05-85F3B616A806.jpeg

Edited by Tentoes1962
Clarify pics

The fan leaves are giving up their nitrogen to the buds. They will naturally yellow, as they do you can pluck them off. If they don't pop right off with a slight tug then leave them, Soon all the fan leaves should yellow and fall off or be plucked off by you. 

The spots look normal. 

Damn thank you!  I had no idea that process would happen.  I had heard and read that withering leaves were a normal process of flowering, but I thought that was due to people intentionally under-watering or under-nourishing in some way.

I thank you again!

1 minute ago, Tentoes1962 said:

Damn thank you!  I had no idea that process would happen.  I had heard and read that withering leaves were a normal process of flowering, but I thought that was due to people intentionally under-watering or under-nourishing in some way.

I thank you again!

Yup, They think its fall so they are getting their fall colors. Don't add any extra nitrogen thinking you can fix the yellowing, It's a common mistake. 

Hey everybody,

I was looking at my plants and decided to upload a pic of one of the flower buds and ask, “what kind of high would I get if I just trimmed off a piece of this flower and smoked it?”  Up close, the trichome heads are about 40% clear, 60% milky.

See, I told you I was a noob.1D6DAB0D-6C56-49DB-A4C3-7739B2EF8316.jpeg.a95051bfc66779cdabac11a8f3db11b9.jpeg

Edited by Tentoes1962

1 minute ago, Tentoes1962 said:

“what kind of high would I get if I just trimmed off a piece of this flower and smoked it?

Most of us have sneaked buds off the lower part of the plant to test the quality long before finishing the plant.

I think it would be a very quick head high followed by an energetic body high,  Perhaps short-lived? IDK dry a bud and let's find out? 

So you say to take a sample from one of the lower flowers/buds of the plant?  Makes sense so as not to injure any higher up that are still growing and probably would make a lot more flower than the lower buds.

Well I’m already stoned to begin with but even though it wasn’t terrible, it needs time to cure.  I got a LOT of super-“turpeney” flavors and a heady buzz.

Live and learn...

10 minutes ago, Tentoes1962 said:

take a sample from one of the lower flowers/buds of the plant?

Yeah, That will just allow the top buds to get fatter. 

Simple advice for noobies, when you think the plant's done and ready, water it and let it go for another week, and observe how the buds swell. Sometimes the recommended flowering time starts on 12/12 photoperiod flip....and then sometimes it starts when the plant's pistils are about 3/4 inch or so (about 10-14 days after flip...think outdoor with the sun and nature decides when to "flip").

Thanks Backdoor!

...would you care to offer some suggestions for my next grow?  

I would like to adhere to more organic standards.  If and when you have the time, I would love to hear your recommendations and stories of a land far, far away!

19 hours ago, Tentoes1962 said:

Thanks Backdoor!

...would you care to offer some suggestions for my next grow?  

I would like to adhere to more organic standards.  If and when you have the time, I would love to hear your recommendations and stories of a land far, far away!

Sure, just remember that if growing organic was that easy, then everyone would be doing it...in spades.

Advance preparation is the secret: grow medium for use in 6 weeks, must be mixed now.

Once upon a time I thought I grew plants, then someone said, "feed the soil, not the plant", which I did and things improved, then someone said focus on the microherd, which I now do. I am the landlord and my tenants are the microherd. Fungi feed on bacteria, bacteria feed on organic carbon, which is important, and then we have a group of protozoa, which eats them all, and so forth...

Microherd is a group of microorganisms that feed on the goodness in the grow medium, that in turn provide the plants nutrition in a "plant available" form. So, are we ready to grow and feed populations of microorganisms? That's what I really do. Nutritionally, the plants take care of themselves, I just provide the environment and food for everyone to do their thing. Which brings us to the concepts of sustainability and Biodynamic practices.

Are you game?

Well I want to get high and think about it.......:)

Just kidding...

Yes I would very much like to hear your advice and knowledge and thanks again for taking the time with this old stoner!

In doing so, you are disseminating a lot of information that people would give good money to pay for.  I appreciate that. 

Edited by Tentoes1962
Added information