Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tentoes1962

Starting a small indoor grow.....

Man!  All of the options open to a cannabis grower are really humongous!

I have enclosed a pic of the top of one of the females I’ve grown.  It is two weeks into flower so would anyone care to chime-in on any apparent or potential problems they may see?  Constructive criticism is appreciated!

1258FDA5-2024-4F42-9FDA-8AD312381AF6.jpeg

Oh and I also found a hermaphrodite in the bunch....

Or at least I’m pretty damn sure...the second pic is of the suspected herp..

DD68F31F-E5DC-4C65-ADD1-8CDD0C6D55F7.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Tentoes1962 said:

Oh and I also found a hermaphrodite in the bunch....

I'd pinch any of those off. 

2 minutes ago, Tentoes1962 said:

.....but there are a LOT of them.  And I’m worried that they would pollinate the other females...?

You need to either kill that plant and burn it. Or find someplace far away, or pinch off all the pollen pods. My guess is that it will, in fact, pollinate all your females given time. If any of them have already popped open, it could be too late. 

Is it one plant or is it happening on more than one?

Just the one....

In the one grow I did in another state, one plant (that had been pretty badly injured) developed occasional male parts that I removed by hand.  Over time I got lazy and had a few seeds develop from the male parts that I was slow in removing, but they seemed to be localized to only those female flowers that were in the same bud area. 

I dont want want to take the chance of any seeds at all.

1 minute ago, Tentoes1962 said:

Just the one....

Then if the 'pods' are in a bunch of spots on that plant I would recommend getting rid of 'it'.  Sorry. How many females would that leave you?

1 minute ago, Tentoes1962 said:

That would leave me with 4 females.

Then, I personally would rid myself of that plant. Either that or move it to a secure location and change clothes after being around it if you intend on being around your NONhermit plants. It's the safe thing to do, maybe someone else has a recommendation that contradicts this. 

standing by. 

3 minutes ago, Tentoes1962 said:

Wouldn’t the seeds from this plant (assuming it is fertilized by pollen from the same plant) all be “feminized” or mostly guaranteed to be female?

I think so. Pretty sure I've heard that. 

I asked @tumbleweed

"if it was a female plant, that had male flowers that pollinated female flowers, yes they would be fem seeds" tw

"a female can produce a male flower but the Chromosomes genetically are still female only"

Oh here is a question that I have had about growing any arbitrary plant outside:

My mom and I used to have conversations about how outdoor plants (in particular here I mean flowering ornamentals like Azaleas, which are everywhere and very easy to grow where I’m from), respond so much more vibrantly to a given amount of rain water, as compared to water from a well or Municipal source.  An afternoon rain shower would typically produce MUCH more subsequent growth or flowering behavior than water from the hose.  We knew this and would water manually (from a hose) to sustain the plants through dry spells.  

Does anyone know the reason for this?

I don't

California 215 compliant grow

Currently Growing: White Nightmare

Lighting:  start/veg 2 - 190w LUSH Herbal Vador 2x, 2 - 435w LUSH Lighting Dominator 2x

2 hours ago, Tentoes1962 said:

Does anyone know the reason for this?

I don't either, but think it to be true. 

The thought occurred to me that  some people might collect and use rainwater to give to their plants and was wondering if anyone may have heard of this in the cannabis world...

14 hours ago, Tentoes1962 said:

....Does anyone know the reason for this?

Foliar feeding?  Rainwater usually has a low ph and can contain particles (dust) that may or may not be beneficial to cannabis.

One must remember, cannabis plants are "accumulators", they excel in absorbing and accumulating chemical compounds from soil--perfect for phytoremediation. Remember Chernobyl? Yep, pot vs nukes and pot wins.

Hence I filter the well water I use for my garden and, oddly as it may seem, I use municipal water (which contains chlorine) to hold my cuttings in water before popping them in plugs. Well water has a higher level of bacteria causes the stems to get mushy.

Hi so I have a new question...... most all of the heads of the Trichomes are milky or clear now.  I understand that for a "typical" harvest of "heady" or THC-heavy smoke, that one should harvest about the time when the trichome heads are about 75 to 85% milky and 25 to 15% amber.  Any longer (with a higher percentage of amber trichomes), and the smoke becomes more CBD dominant?  Also will the trichome changes (of color) happen at bud sites all over the plant?  I am sharpening my executioners blade now, but I'd like to know folks' feelings about the best time to harvest.

Matter of preference, I prefer observing 5% amber on indica dominant plants (best lab numbers), but if the plant is harvested at the moment amber first appears the buds look fresher (and a wee bit smaller) with little to no "dark hairs".

If one wants more THCA (as opposed to delta 9 THC) then harvest prior to amber.

The last batch of Cherry Cobbler was harvested with 5% amber and lab results were: 27.3% THCA and 2.29% THC (delta 9), 31.3% total cannabinoids.

The last batch of Purple Punch was harvested with less than 3% amber (a lot less) and lab results were: 22.0% THCA and 0.826% THC (delta 9), 23.6% total cannabinoids .

When labs convert THCA to an equivalent THC (delta 9) they use a 87.7% factor, so total THC = [(THCA x 0.877) = THC (delta 9)]

On the flipside, in my garden buds bulk up and extra 10-20% if I wait until 5% amber--rather than pull at the first sign of amber.

Do all of a typical plant’s flowers “ripen” at the same time?  In other words, do ALL of the flowers (the ones at the top, middle and bottom of a single plant) mature at the same time?  

I guess I am asking if you typically harvest the entire plant, or just take off only the mature flowers (If they mature at different times).

Thanks

For a hobby grow, snipping a few buds a day from a flowering mature plant is one way to experience buds at different stages of maturity.

For a production grow, most will harvest the whole plant and usually all the plants of that batch at the same time.

That said, interesting experiments can be conducted by allowing a plant to mature past its suggested harvest date. Years ago I was growing Chocolope that was insanely aromatic (beautiful rotten tropical fruit) and I decided to flower it 100 days (almost twice the normal 54 days) and wow: Hershey Kisses. It tasted, smelled and smoked just like those foil wrapped chocolate drops.

My buddy years ago, had an jumbo greenhouse plant that he forgot about (high desert in southwest) and around Christmas he discovered his "mistake" and buds were so big they were laying on top of each other, stacks and stacks, that pulling them apart was impossible. The trichomes swelled and behaved like glue and formed "trichome puddles" of sticky goo. Had I not seen the video, I would be calling this a crock of shit...but, my eyes were not lying.

LOL, hazards of unattended automated irrigation always generates "plant growth".

Determining the "harvest date" for new strains is a process, I snip and tag good sized top buds daily for 2-3 weeks (55 -77 days maturity) and conduct my quality assurance and comparative tests. In my garden, the sweet spot is seldom under 60 days; sweet spot for Cherry Cobbler is almost 10 weeks (68 days), Purple Punch is 62ish (plus minus 4 days).

Posted (edited)

I really appreciate the thorough responses, Backdoor!

So in your previous post:

“Determining the "harvest date" for new strains is a process, I snip and tag good sized top buds daily for 2-3 weeks (55 -77 days maturity) and conduct my quality assurance and comparative tests. In my garden, the sweet spot is seldom under 60 days; sweet spot for Cherry Cobbler is almost 10 weeks (68 days), Purple Punch is 62ish (plus minus 4 days).“......

the dates you are referring to are the time “in flower”, am I correct? 

Edited by Tentoes1962
Forgot to ask question