Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tentoes1962

Starting a small indoor grow.....

Posted (edited)

Here are the pictures of the plants as of this morning.  I have uploaded them in the same order as the node pics so the first node picture goes with the first plant picture:

03E9C6D9-6D8F-4B60-AA46-6C18DA2971A3.jpeg

7BD65550-A771-4C0A-B33D-600F44C44332.jpeg

So the second photo is of the female that is easy for me to identify and the top one is the one that I’m not certain about.  The two are supposed to be of the same phenotype (?), from the same set of seeds but I guess the milk-man could have gotten in there somehow...

Edited by Tentoes1962
Needed additional info

Posted (edited)

In the top plant photo, you can see that I recently topped it, only because it was about to run us out of our duplex, but in general I believe in LST.  

Looking at the pictures now they really don’t look like they could be from the same genetics (to me) because of the way the new growth at the nodes look.  Am I right?

17C19673-4968-4A5C-87A8-4250CBC8812A.jpeg

D6C11187-17A1-48A5-A244-83CFCB93FA97.jpeg

I re-posted all of the pictures because I know how easy it is for you stoners to forget sh!t!...

:)

....and here too, the top plant pic goes with the top node pic.

Edited by Tentoes1962
Added a little more text

9 hours ago, Tentoes1962 said:

In the top plant photo, you can see that I recently topped it, only because it was about to run us out of our duplex, but in general I believe in LST.  

Looking at the pictures now they really don’t look like they could be from the same genetics (to me) because of the way the new growth at the nodes look.  Am I right?

I'd need to ask someone else. @Backdoor Let's see where Backdoor is. 

definite variation between the plants there, looking at the leaves, but yea, could still be the same genetics or not :)

California 215 compliant grow

Currently Growing: White Nightmare

Lighting:  start/veg 2 - 190w LUSH Herbal Vador 2x, 2 - 435w LUSH Lighting Dominator 2x

Hey TW, but if you look at the angle that the new branches leave the main stem, in the top photo they leave the main stem (trunk?) at close to a 90 degree angle, and in the bottom pic they leave the main stem at about a 45 degree angle.  I would think that that shows different genetics, but I am no botanist.  But I am a chicken-chokin’ Weed smoker!$&@!

On 7/7/2020 at 4:32 PM, EDDIEKIRK said:

I'd need to ask someone else. @Backdoor Let's see where Backdoor is. 

The two white thread-like hairs are your friend, she is a she. But we could always see a "he-she" later.

Variation of cultivars (phenotypes) is common. About 150 years years ago, a European monk named Mendel experimented with the common pea. Through selective cross breeding over many generations he observed certain characteristics appeared in offspring (aka recessive, dominant traits) as discrete units, as opposed to the blending of the traits of the parents, the theory popular at the that time.

More importantly and applicable to your situation he discovered a 3:1 ratio of inherited traits. When he cross pollinated pea plant that produced yellow pea seeds with one that produced green peas seeds, (yellow+green parents), their offspring (F1) were always yellow seeds but the following generation (F2) were consistently mixed, 3 yellow and 1 green. And this relationship would continue for successive generations.

So, 3:1 means that 3 will be alike, 1 will be different, no milk man and not a sister of from a different father--rather its simply genetics.

https://www2.palomar.edu/anthro/mendel/mendel_1.htm

Hope this helps.

Thank you Backdoor!!  So would you say that the picture here is of a female?  If it is, her “preflowers” don’t look like the ones I am used to seeing....but they don’t look like males either....

325755D8-EC81-42EB-9886-545C9255660A.jpeg

9 hours ago, Tentoes1962 said:

Thank you Backdoor!!  So would you say that the picture here is of a female?  If it is, her “preflowers” don’t look like the ones I am used to seeing....but they don’t look like males either....

325755D8-EC81-42EB-9886-545C9255660A.jpeg

87d8693c0a7b313f52dffa7481771055.png

Posted (edited)

Hey thank you EddieKirk for reaching out to “the Don” on that question.  Well I am going to side on the opinion that it is probably a male.....I need to cull something to make room for the girls anyway.

Damned if those growths don’t look like some kind of female flower though.  In my very limited experience, the first thing that seems to become most apparent at first in females are the whitish hairs (even before any kind of pod becomes apparent), and this surely does not have anything like that.  

So I plan to cull it to make room for the girls.  

BTW I guess no one wants a male plant?  Pretty sure not but I just wanted to check....

Edited by Tentoes1962
Forgot to post question

The pair of thread-like structure and shape of the pistils I see in this pic--is why I think girl.

image.png.87be865b7865dc00654dcbd27e2a6cad.png

This pic I stole online clearly shows the white twin threadlike structures and pistil shape we are all accustom seeing.

image.png.b5f2dd117c6d28eea505ab5e6acc8f3f.png

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone so I culled the probable males out and I have 2 different cultivars consisting of 5 plants.  The tallest one is about 2.5 ft tall (the one in the far back in the attached picture) and I want to switch them all to a flower light cycle.  Is it too late to do some LST on them now?  By LST I mean to bend the main stalk gradually (using zip ties, insulated wire, etc), so that the main stalk ultimately turns sideways and allows the secondary stalks to grow and flower.  All of these already have significant secondary stalks anyway without having done any LST at all.

I guess my question is this:  Is it okay to begin LST while switching to flower as well?

Thank you for the opinions!

4AB9BEAA-959E-48D9-80A8-F21AEBA0B46A.jpeg

Edited by Tentoes1962
Forgot to attach picture and omitted information

On 7/12/2020 at 3:35 PM, Tentoes1962 said:

I guess my question is this:  Is it okay to begin LST while switching to flower as well?

You sure can,  After about 20-25 days under 12 hours of light they will start showing flowers, You should have all LST done sooner than later when you have flowers 

Hi,

Say, if in the process of bending them, if one happens to break, it's ok. Just prop it up and leave it on the plant, I've had it happen and the branch continues to live even if broken. As long as some of the 'skin-layer' is still attached that limb should be fine, I've even taped them before and they live.  

That is good to know!  In the one stealth grow I did, on one occasion the light fixture fell and crashed into the plants.  There was one plant that suffered significant damage to a BiG branch.  I had to amputate it and later, that plant had a lot of hermaphrodite male “bananas” that would pop up.  If I knew then what I know now, I would have done a lot more “Dr Frankenstein” work into saving the limb.

i have also seen a guy (the “Grow Doctor” I think) who, in illustrating how to do “SOG” growing, has no problem in bending the plants so that the stems “buckle” or become bent and deformed and significantly weakened such that they can’t support themselves.  He states that it is no problem and just re-routes the stem into a support (wire or string-“square”).

Next time I won’t be so gun-shy.

So this might be a little off-topic but, I’ll ask it anyway....  Do bigger buds or flowers have any more or less desirable smoking qualities?  You typically never get any BIG buds from the dispensaries when buying flower, mostly because you typically don’t buy large quantities.

Just curious.... 

1 hour ago, Tentoes1962 said:

So this might be a little off-topic but, I’ll ask it anyway....  Do bigger buds or flowers have any more or less desirable smoking qualities?  You typically never get any BIG buds from the dispensaries when buying flower, mostly because you typically don’t buy large quantities.

Just curious.... 

I don't think size matters. lol, At the clubs they purposely try and make 1/2 gram to one gram size buds, This allows them to 'Tumble' the weed and knock some of the tricks off and into their tric jar. They then sell those to someone else as a different product. Of course, I have no proof of this, but it's my belief. 

Posted (edited)

That makes a lot of sense, at least to this cynical old fart!  

That would be some “low-hanging fruit” that I’m sure hasn’t been overlooked by the dispensaries.  

Edited by Tentoes1962
Grammar edit

Here are the girls again as of today.  I will be changing the light cycle to 12-on, 12-off tomorrow.

Also I included a pic of two “poinsettia” peppers that will go outside when they get a little bigger....

F8AB1CEE-798C-4A47-8F94-0A00EC07531A.jpeg.769f0a8c8ae1097e4e36f957b4e251ec.jpeg

88716F98-D196-428C-A014-E4C61460FE01.jpeg

2 hours ago, Tentoes1962 said:

Here are the girls again as of today.  I will be changing the light cycle to 12-on, 12-off tomorrow.

Also I included a pic of two “poinsettia” peppers that will go outside when they get a little bigger....

Wow1 Those plants sure came out looking nice and healthy. I cant wait to see how they finish. I'll be watching for sure.