• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tentoes1962

Question concerning a grow from a few years ago....

Hello so a few years ago I was doing an indoor, stealth grow using Fox Farms Ocean Forest, using an unknown bag-seed strain (from seed) under 5000k CFLs.  After a few months of veg, I isolated the six females and removed all of the males.  The health of all of the plants was very good at this time (~ 2 months from seed).

Then two plants began to develop black spots on the leaves while still in veg.  I did a google search and many posts pointed to root disease issues.  I wanted to do things as “organically” as possible, so I began to use Neem oil in my watering regimen.  I would add the recommended amount in water to treat “root rot” (a bacterial infection of the roots, I believe?).  I used NO other fertilizers nor additives until this problem arose. 

After this, the new growth fan leaves had NO black spots at all and the plants eventually flowered and harvested (of course the young, diseased fan leaves were culled and these plants were harvested and really made a fine end-product).  It is really incredible what home-grown Cannabis can produce!

Since then I have intended to use Neem oil in all of the soil at the dosage recommended by Neem oil packaging instructions.  

Would anyone care care to give their opinion on this idea?  In other words, I intend to use some Neem oil in ALL of the soil I use BEFORE I grow anything in it, to avoid the black spot issue.

I know I am getting in trouble with the natural soil folks out there, but I don’t have the ability to cultivate my own organic soil, so Fox Farms is what I will have to make-do with until later.

Thank you everyone!

Hey buddy so let's talk a bit about neem oil I absolutely support the use of Neem Oil as IPM for your plants and that's what I use myself as well but I do not recommend using it as a soil drench. What I do instead is use neem meal and I will make a tea that is brewed for less then 24 hours usually and water with that u will have some oils from this but not nearly as much as using the neem oil and also there are a few other benefits to doing the soil drench with neem meal instead of oil the meal will also provide some nutrients to the plants as well the kelp I usually use, the combo can really help fight back any bad bugs u may get in your soil. Also another reason I dont recommend use of neem oil in soil drench is possible toxicity while this isn't extremely  common it can definitely occur and when it does it's not pretty so I always recommended using the oil for leaf surface and the neem meal for the soil/roots.

Side note karanja is a cousin to the neem tree and is another oil u can alternate between with neem oil for some pretty fantastic results and the karanja smells good in my opinion kinda like dandelions lol  

I hope this helps you out a little bit 

I will also try to make a little more extensive section about neem in my organic thread here soon which might provide a bit more information about neem for you as well

Thank you for the feedback, Popeye!  I really do!  As I get older, the more I realize all the stuff I don’t know and anything to make me a better grower is always appreciated.

I guess that I thought that by growing indoors I wouldn’t have nearly as many bug/fungus mungus/jungle rot problems, and the appearance of black spots on my plants made me resort to using it as a drench.  I am living proof that while knowledge is good, a little knowledge can be dangerous!  I thank you again!!

Hahaha it's not that what you did was dangerous at all it seems like you did everything u could to do the root drench properly and I commend u for that. We are always learning as growers it's the second we think we have nothing else to learn that we know we are in trouble truely ignorance is not bliss in growing. But you have a open mind and a willingness to learn new things so I think you will do just fine just dont feel afraid to ask for help I'm still constantly learning and working to educate myself as well every year I try to improve on what I learned the previous year. I simply want to help others with knowledge and experience I have learned over time and still am changing things I need to update my clone thread cuz I've changed that as well and I started to dry and cure different as of last year so as I said it's a constant learning process for all of us! You got this man!