• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tentoes1962

Recommendations for a starter “hydro” grow...

Hi all:

So the wife and I have moved to a duplex rental property and I have the “grow-itch”, but I want to keep it on the down-low from my landlord.  I am thinking of using the attic, since I really have no other alternative.  It is a “typical” A-frame roof with, probably, four feet at the center and tapering down to the eaves.

I have only used soil in the past, but to achieve any substantial height in the plants, I feel like I will need to “go hydro” so the roots don’t take up so much of the available height......

What do you all recommend for the type of “hydro” grow I should pursue?  Sorry for my ignorance of terminology, but I am leaning toward the kind that sprays nutrient solution on to the roots.  I want to avoid as much weight as possible, so “deep water culture” (I think?) wouldn’t be the way to go.

I am in to electronics stuff (Arduino stuff) so I am not worried about automating most all of the lighting, watering or aerating.  I plan for it to be totally enclosed with plywood and ventilated with air from the living space, NOT the attic.  

Would anyone care to make recommendations on this idea?  Max grow height for the plants will only be about 3 feet, but I’m sure I’m not the first to harvest plants that small....

Water weighs a LOT!  8.4 lbs per gal, and you will need at least 5 gal per plant, 10 would be better.  Heat is another problem.
I wouldn't risk it in a rental. Just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

karmic_debt2.jpg

22222.jpg

My plan is to not use DWC because of the weight issue, but to use the type of hydro that sprays nutrients and water on to the roots, I feel like that would require the least height....

.....but yes, the more I think of it, am i really going to go to all of that effort for just a few plants....I really do have the itch to get a grow going...maybe I will stick to eddiekirk’s post above...