• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

popeye!

Fishing ūüé£

Hey guys how's things going fishing season is right around the corner and I haven't gone fishing in a couple years! This year im getting back into fishing as a means of keeping more food in the house! Plus I really enjoy eating trout :)

Does anyone else on here go fishing or did you used to go fishing? Where are some of your favorite places to go fishing? Do you fish trout or bass, or maybe even ocean fish? 

In the year that my wife and I have been in Oregon, we have done a very little surf/jetty fishing and have caught a few things like surfperch and greenling, which are decent table fare, but maybe not with that stupendous flavor (like Halibut, Trout, Salmon, etc).   I still cry sometimes when I think of how I reacted when it became apparent that I wouldn't be able to take the boat with us to Oregon !@#$#%!.  I have done a little fishing for bass in some of the local ponds and sloughs and have caught two small bass, using artificial, saltwater "Sandworm" "gulp" baits and that's about all.

Spoiler

What part of Oregon are you in I'm in the Corvallis area and usually fish around Corvallis and Albany but sometimes go down by the coast area over by toledo

We are in Wilsonville.  When we go salt-water fishing, we try to go on a low tide. We typically fish the coast from about Yachats (Jachats?sp?) to Tillamook.  Typically Barview jetty has been our goto spot on our most recent outings.

We haven't done much freshwater fishing because I am still clueless on the food chain, which species migrate, where to fish for trout, etc.

Can anyone tell me if there is an upoming "Bass-spawn" season/period where Black Bass move in to VERY shallow water to lay their eggs/spawn?  I just returned from a few days near Lake Conroe, Texas, where I caught a nice (and legal) 18" Black Bass (female) exactly in spawning terrain.  Also it is warming up for the Crappie "season" as well.

Are there any such similar "runs" on any species really, but mostly on the "warm-water" species like Black Bass, Crappie, Striped Bass. or perch/sunperch)?

Thanks and tight lines......

Hey so yesterday I went to Canby pond and caught one "keeper" trout and I am headed back there again today, although I bet it will be crowded.  If that doesn't pan out I plan to try fishing the Molalla river itself, which is just a few hundred yards away from the pond.  If nothing pans out there then I was going to try the St Louis ponds (just south of Woodburn).  

According to the Oregon Fish & Wildlife Dept, both of these ponds were stocked with trout just this last week......

I did not know how good trout are to eat.....yummo!!!

About your question about bass right now the bass activity is very minimal but ones the whether warms up the bass with usually have a spring spawn tenmile lake is one of the best lakes in Oregon for bass fishing...

I'm headed out to freeway lakes in albany for a little evening fishing hopefully we can get hooked up with something today!

Hey so I went fishing again at Canby pond and I got five keeper trout.  It took awhile but all were taken under a cork about two feet below the cork using a Powerbait winged-grub looking thing.  It is a nice place to take the family.  The Molalla river is just next to this pond and I was wondering if anyone has had any success fishing the river there.

Oh and thanks for the tip of "tenmile" lake.  Fishing for Bass during the spawn is fun!

No problem you can actually  look up some videos of bass fishing tournaments that they have had at ten mile lake some nice size bass come out of there and I grew up right by it!

Sounds like you had a more successful day then me today but I did get to enjoy a beautiful  sunset!

received_2415583791806945.jpeg

Needless to say I haven't been able to locate any Dupont lures so I reckon dynamite is out of the question here in Ohio.

Time to break the fly rods and float tube out and hit the stone quarry. I'll shut up now

Pin-icon-1106181559.png

""patients helping patients, with no thought of gain""... The Stoned Soup Group.... https://magicalbutter.com

3 hours ago, bigpapa said:

Needless to say I haven't been able to locate any Dupont lures so I reckon dynamite is out of the question here in Ohio.

Time to break the fly rods and float tube out and hit the stone quarry. I'll shut up now

Id actually love to see some of the fish around Ohio I bet you got a few different species then we do in oregon

Hi all:

With the warming weather, I assume there is a Bass "spawn" that occurs here in Oregon.  Would anyone care to chime-in on when that happens here in Oregon (typically)?

On 3/17/2019 at 9:46 PM, popeye! said:

Id actually love to see some of the fish around Ohio I bet you got a few different species then we do in oregon

You have sea fishing which we do not but mostly the same. I love walleye, perch, brim and crappie, then trout. I love fly fishing and to tie my own flies in the field is the sport if champions, then fishing with Dupont lures never fails unless you're indoors. I'll shut up now

Pin-icon-1106181559.png

""patients helping patients, with no thought of gain""... The Stoned Soup Group.... https://magicalbutter.com

I recently started a YouTube channel to document some of my fishing adventures if you guys would like to check it out and subscribe for future videos here's a link to my first video I just got posted today! 

Hey man so the wife and I went there (to AA Wilson pond) and we got skunked, but it was still good to get out and that is a good hike to get from the parking spot to the pond itself.  My wife and I spent quite a bit of time trying to entice the bass to bite a worm in that little pond/slough that feeds into Wilson pond but I think it might be a little bit early for them.  What kind of lures do you recommend for trout there (at the pond itself)?  We just used some Powerbait green "nymphs" about two feet under a cork and had no takers.

The fish at EE Wilson are kinda unpredictable however they did just stock EE Wilson today so this weekend would be a good time to try again, mostly I use powerbait, a variety of inline spinners, and worms and that's usually about sometimes I'll throw a trout magnet out there but it's a little more effective using that in streams and rivers then in ponds

For fishing there for trout it seems like about 80% of the folks fish on the bottom (or use swim-baits, rooster tails, etc; the other 20% use a cork with a bait of some kind suspended under it.  You mentioned a "trout magnet" and after searching for it it looks like a small worm jig with a small spinner attached next to it.....if that's true, we used to call those "beetle-spins" or "crappie spinners",  but the problem with those is that you typically fish those out of a boat because of their light weight and you can't cast them very far since they're so light....  Don't get me wrong, I have already bought some to add to my fishing arsenal!

Man I remember old timers that would laugh at us young kids with our battery-powered, GPS-guided fishing lures and other gizmos, and they would consistently catch HOG bass with a cigarette butt and some spit on it!

Also from your YouTube video it looks like you were fishing on the East side of the pond, as were the majority of the people who were fishing when we were there too.  Is it deeper on that side or some other reason for the fishing to be better on that side?

The East side is always my preference when I go there but I like to get the last picknick bench on that side and just post up there so I have a place I can sit down when my back starts hurting. As far as people fishing bottom that's definitely the most common especially fishing bottom with a Carolina rig and using powerbait or inflated worms, spinners are very dependant on the day sometimes they will hit spinners all day sometimes they won't even tough a spinner bit I went there today and me and my buddy both got out out there with our limit. Got there at 6am and left at 10am

Oh also those trout magnets I was speaking of are just the little worm and jig head that's it the spinner blade is a additional thing that's a bit newer from the company but yeah I use the trout and crappie magnets