• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tentoes1962

Indoor Growing of Species other than Cannabis....

Hello everyone:

I am planning to do an indoor grow and was wondering if anyone does any growing of plant species other than Cannabis?  I ask this for several reasons: 1) I happen to like peppers and other vegetables and it would be nice to have some fresh veggies for the dinner table and 2) I know that some plants have natural insect repellents (peppers, neem, cedar) so it might be of benefit to grow some concurrently with Cannabis to help reduce pest problems without resorting to chemicals to try and stay organic.

In another state I did a stealth grow using 5-gallon Homer buckets with Fox Farms Ocean Forest, grown under 5000K CFLs for vegetation, then 3000K CFLs for flowering.  I only very rarely used a "fish emulsion" fertilizer with some added neem oil (only once at the beginning of veg).  The results I got (using some unknown bag seeds), especially in vegetation were excellent.  By this I mean there was very dense vegetative growth and I hardly ever had to cull any fan leaves at all.

I am also trying to make the change from CFLs to LEDs and I plan to use some cannibalized 5000K LEDs from Costco in the hope that I can replicate the excellent vegetative results I got from the 5000K CFLs. but I doubt that the spectral content of the LEDs will be the same.

Any constructive criticism is appreciated......

Back when I grew indoors, I did grow many other types of vegetable plants with them. Usually when starting my veggie garden in late winter from seed. I grew tomatoes, they act like a warning for pests (like spidermites) since they like tomatoes a little better then cannabis. Pepper plants from the bell to spicy types, corn, onions, melons and squash. Garlic is a good one to have around at all times. When my veggie garden area was ready and weather permitting, I moved the veggies out.

gallery_2188_61_23224.png  

Classy, sassy, and a bit of a smart assy

Good afternoon @Tentoes1962 I've seen lots of folks grow things other than cannabis in their tents. I myself use LED  lights when growing both for Veg and bloom. I use Lush Lighting's Dominator 2xxl while in bloom and the Vegitator while in Veg,  I have use MH, HPS and CFL, all good but the heat issue was the main reason I moved to LED. There are more than just a couple of us using this brand. 

I hope you post some photos once your up and running. 

Peace. :) 

EK

Posted (edited)

Oh and also........

has anyone here ever heard of using soap (in diluted form), along with real beer (not "lite" beer) as agents to assist in promoting healthy soil organisms?  

Edited by Tentoes1962
poor grammar in original text

1 hour ago, Tentoes1962 said:

Oh and also........

has anyone here ever heard of using soap (in diluted form), along with real beer (not "lite" beer) as agents to assist in promoting healthy soil organisms?  

Haven't heard that one

gallery_2188_61_23224.png  

Classy, sassy, and a bit of a smart assy

We also grow flowers in Aeroponic and their LED, works great, have them growing on the kitchen counter.

California 215 compliant grow

Currently Growing: TW8 (Blue Lime Pie x White Nightmare) cross made and KUSH OG and Pre-98 Bubba Kush.

Lighting:  start/veg 2 - 190w LUSH Herbal Vador 2x, 2 - 435w LUSH Lighting Dominator 2x

In my earlier post I mentioned using beer and diluted soap as agents for maintaining a healthier environment for plants.

I learned this from a horticulture "expert" on PBS who recommended these as additives for maintaining a healthy lawn.  According to this person, the soap acts as a deterrent to insects in that it interferes with their ability to reproduce and the beer (not "lite" beer) provides carbohydrates that beneficial soil organisms use.  

I guess we all are in the search of the things that one day, might lead to a "foie gras" of cannabis......i.e. that wonderful taste (when smoked), that wonderful high without anxiety, etc.  I don't know the formula and species for it but I am trying......

imo, doing a side by side test, one using it and one without and comparing the results would be the best way to find out?

I have no personal experience with trying that, so can't give a more educated answer.

peace

California 215 compliant grow

Currently Growing: TW8 (Blue Lime Pie x White Nightmare) cross made and KUSH OG and Pre-98 Bubba Kush.

Lighting:  start/veg 2 - 190w LUSH Herbal Vador 2x, 2 - 435w LUSH Lighting Dominator 2x

Ok so I'm sorry I got to this a little late but as far as soaps or organic pesticides for the garden a very very simple one is Dr.Broners 18-1 soap preferably the lavender and peppermint I alternate between the two also I use neem oil and karanja oil and the broners does a great job to emulsify the neem/karanaja oil! 

As far as companion planting which sounds like basically what your saying I definitely recommend having companion plants as well as cover crops for a number of reasons you can chop the cover crop and companion plants and use them as bio mass to break down and give nutrients back to your plants if your interested in doing a living organic soil set up so you can just keep reusing the same soil over and over which is how I grow. But yeah Definitely benefits to companion plants and that's another thing I'll be covering in my organic thread called "Are you interested in growing organically?" 

I hope that answered your questions if not I hope to hear back from you to see how I might be able to help a little better

Thanks Popeye!  Great info......also the bit about emulsifying the neem and karanja oils is a cool benefit as well!  My grow is on temporary hold until we get out of this damned apartment, although I suppose that I could do a micro-grow in a tote, but the plants would have to be put on a flowering photo-cycle only after a very short time in veg.....

So right now I am putting together some cannabilized Costco LEDs into some home-made grow lights that will fit on top of a Costco plastic tote....it will have a glass separator to keep the heat from the LEDs away from the plants....still in development stage.  For this to work though, I will have to put the plants into flowering photoperiod (at least 12 hours of darkness) when they have not been in vegetative state for very long at all..... 

IMG_0064.jpg

Costco tote.jpg

So what advice would you give to someone like me who doesn't have the grow-space to let my plants reach full-size after a "normal" veg period?  In the one and only indoor grow I did, when I put the plants into flower (12 hours of darkness), they easily tripled in size.  I guess it would work to switch the plants into flower after just a few weeks of veg........?

Lots of factors play a role in this ultimately first is what genetics are you working with if your working with Indica or ruderalis type strains you will typically have shorter squat plants that wont stretch as much and are friendly for small spaces  but if you are growing hybrids or sativa's especially from seed there can be alot of variance in size and stretch so those a bit more unpredictable. Another thing you wanna consider is how you are training your plants or if your not training your plants at all both approaches will work but they work differently if you are running them untopped/untrained then you wanna try to fit as many as you can in your space and create a sea of green however if you plan to top or train your plants then I recommend growing less plants in slightly bigger pots and low stress training. Them down and keep doing that until your canopy space is full this can keep your plants really low and help maximize your space to get the best yeilds! But if you are gonna be using small pots I'd really recommend using kelp and enzymes weekly 

Thank you for the advice, Popeye!.  I plan to use the Costco tote I posted above, but as the plants mature, I planned to add another tote to the top of the first one (and inverted) to give it a little more room to flower and also to use LST (Low-Stress-Training) but even then I believe I will still have to switch them to a flowering photo-period very soon after they sprout (like no more than one foot tall).  When I say low-stress-training, I mean NOT topping (or cutting the main sprout) but rather bending the main stalk and using a coarse net or mesh to support all of the flowering branches.....

In general, what kind of effects are there when you switch a plant to a flowering photoperiod when it is still very young?  I understand that you won't have as much end-product, but in general are there any other effects that people find desirable or undesirable?