• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Purple Power

RIP Moose 4/6/01 to 11/21/18

Moose 2001-11/21/18

Beloved cat

2 21 2017 Moose looking.jpg

Moose napping.jpg

With a heavy heart and Moose diagnoses of full kidney failure and early stages of kidney cancer, I intensity had tears rolling down my cheeks and knew it was time to put my late fiancé cat, Moose, to sleep. The vet said with his kidneys failing, it allowed toxins to get dangerously high that caused his seizure yesterday (that day would of been his late Masters b-day). He was a 17 year old kitty who came from a bad past where his tail was broken and he suffered from PTSD that was lucky enough to find people that loved him dearly. My late half told me there was lady trying to sale kittens, she opened the trunk to her car and it was full of kittens. Moose was the biggest and the loud mouth of the bunch even though they were the same age. My late half thought Moose would be the hardest kitten there to find a home, so he took him.  We did everything we could to give Moose a great life. Cannabis help heal him. Any time we brought out flowers to smoke or plants to trim, Moose was there meowing demanding he get some. My late half did what he could to heal Moose, but he told me a few times Moose didn't get better until we got together. Where in a few months, Moose turned from the shy cat peeking around the corner shaking to walking in the room enjoying pets from everyone, and maybe jump on a lap with lots of purrs.  Moose was a big cat at 20lbs and he wasn't fat. Moose usually slept on the pillow by me. I'd fall asleep hearing his sweet purrs. I'll miss them and giving him good rubs and scratches. Nut Nibbler rarely sleeps on my bed, Moose didn't allow her to when awake..

About 7 years ago, we got a kitten that Moose help name, Nut Nibbler, a few weeks after getting her. I've never seen a cat smile so big.  When they met, she got huge eyes looking at Moose's belly. She walked over and started to nurse, Moose gave the funnest WTF look then slowly backed off and grabbed her by the back of the neck and took her to the edge of the bed and dropped her. That was his first act as a parent to teach her not to nurse from him. We reintroduced them and he gave a cat bath. She was soaked. Moose was always very soft and expected his kitten to be softer. If she wasn't as a kitten or an adult, he'd hold her down with one paw  that slowly turned to him laying on her as she grew then give her that bath. This always resulted with her looking like she just came out of the tub. I'll always remember that oh crap look Moose gave when Nut Nibbler could jump on the bed on her own. He loved her dearly, but sometimes needed a break from the crazy kitten. Getting ambushed after leaving the litter box was bad enough. Moose would discipline Nut Nibbler by biting her ear gently and increase the pressure when she didn't respond the correct way. At times the tips of her ears would be bald. They have been together since loving each other after Moose was done raising a crazy kitten. They'd bath each other, sun bath by each other, play, watch rodents or birds together.  Moose would do face palms as his little girl would run or jump into the glass excited over a bird. It only took her 7 years to remember this thing called glass. She now put her paw in front of her face before charging into the glass. If one had to stay at the vet over night, the kitty home would call, sniff each room and look for the other. I tried to put nibbler near her daddy Moose before his last vet visit, so she could say goodbye. I hope she did and know she will miss him badly. I just had a bad feeling that he wasn't coming home.  

Moose usually kept his distance with dogs, but he did chase my dog, staff am x, out of the house once. Why? I had my dog for maybe 2 months when he pooped on the hardwood floor. Moose looked at it then glared at my dog. Moose fluffed, growled, hissed at my dog then charged him. Luckily the back door was open since I was trying to get my dog out who was giving "I'm sorry" looks when he spotted a very unhappy fluffy 20lbs Moose cat charged him. My dog tucked his tail and ran out of the house with Moose after him. Moose was maybe 5-10 feet from the door when he realized he wasn't in the house, he turned around and ran back in the house. My other cat, Nut Nibbler had already chased my dog out of the house a few times for pooping on the carpet., but after Moose chase my dog out he never had an accident in the house since. Moose was very particular of the cleanness of his litter box. The litter always had to b perfectly level. He'd spent a hour easy making it perfect.

Least until we got Nut Nibbler and Moose got tried of putting his toys he didn't play with back in his toy box, he always put his toys up after he was done playing with them. He tried to teach this to his little kitten, but lets just say it didn't stick. After months of cleaning up the toys and punishing her, he finally gave up. Now there are cat toys everywhere

Moose and kitten.JPG

Moose holding down his little Nut Nibbler for a bath

2011 Moose giving Nut Nibbler a bath 1.jpg

A proud Moose with his kitten, Nut Nibbler

moose and nibbler .JPG

moose sleeping nibbler.jpg

If you didn't make sure the dryer was locked after checking, Moose was very happy to enjoy the free heat and fur up your close

12 4 2017 Moose new hang out spot 1.jpg

12 6 2017 Moose watching birds 4.jpg

Moose begging for my dinner

4 10 2018 Moose begging for my dinner 1.jpg

Moose found his cat crack (cat nip) wasn't locked up

5 29 2018 Moose cat nip jar 1.jpg

5 29 2018 Moose cat nip jar 1b.jpg

5 29 2018 Moose cat nip jar 1c.jpg

5 29 2018 Moose cat nip jar 1c.jpg

5 29 2018 Moose cat nip jar 1d.jpg

5 29 2018 Moose cat nip jar 1e.jpg

5 29 2018 Moose cat nip jar 1f.jpg

gallery_2188_61_23224.png  

Classy, sassy, and a bit of a smart assy

Little Nut Nibbler has stolen and hid my son's watch. I think she trying to make a deal of give her Moose and she'll return the watch. My son says its alarm is set to midnight, so he try to listen for it if not found.

She's laying on my son's bed looking sad. She enjoys some pets and more talkative while getting them.

2 hours ago, Purple Power said:

Little Nut Nibbler has stolen and hid my son's watch

Why that little... Nut Nibbler. I hope she decides to give it back. Midnights a long way off. 

2 hours ago, EDDIEKIRK said:

Why that little... Nut Nibbler. I hope she decides to give it back. Midnights a long way off. 

I doubt she will. I think she is trying to bargain with us to get her Moose daddy back. Last night, she searched the house looking, sniffing and calling for Moose in every room. When that failed and we were asleep, she stole the watch. This is normal for the grieving process as is the bargaining for cats. She is a little more talkative and pawing at us more then normal. When by herself she lays there just looking like the saddest cat ever.  She's never known life being the only cat. I don't want her to be so lonely (it breaks my heart to see), yet want to give her time to honor her daddy Moose before getting her a kitten or two to be buds with. I think Moose held on as long as he could, so my son would be here and he could say goodbye to him too, and know we were both here to take care of his precious little miss Nut Nibbler. My late cat Katie got stuck in the depression phase after her adopted son, Simba, died and she too died shortly after. So I'll keep a close eye on Nut Nibbler.

My son found his watch when the alarm went off. He put it somewhere that Nut Nibbler couldn't get to. She's still looking for Moose, but not calling for him. She's washed her belly so much, it's almost completely bald. She's becoming clingy. She's not a lap cat, but sat on my lap last night for 1/2 hour enjoying pets and gave some purrs and talked. This morning, she went to the makeshift bed we made Moose and sniffed it for a bit then sat down and bowed her head staying there for a few minutes. She's now on the foot of my son's bed napping by him.

When do you think enough time has passed to get her a new buddy? It breaks my heart watching her go through this.

41 minutes ago, Purple Power said:

When do you think enough time has passed to get her a new buddy?

I would think this should be when you are ready. My guess would be the sooner the better for everyone, This way your Son gets a chance to bond before he leaves and Nibbler has something to fill the monotony of the day. Beings its winter, you'll be spending more time in the house. Besides, Kittens are fun, This will make the household smile again. 

Nothing or no one can ever take Moose's place, But fill the void? Yes, A kitten or two as soon as your ready to take them on,  

so sorry bout moose ....i know how hard it can be ...we  had to put down our oldest cat last year she couldnt even move anymore..peace cheri

e7b57f2f0c61ad10e6d3f7c0bdf59c60.png

THE CODE OF HUMANITY:I CHOOSE TO COMMUNICATE TRUTH,I CHOOSE THE REALITY OF LIFE,I CHOOSE TO HEAL NOT HURT,I CHOOSE EDUCATION OVER IGNORANCE,I CHOOSE THE POWER OF PEACE,I CHOOSE TO LOVE GOD(OR GOOD)AND SEE GOD OR GOOD IN ALL HUMANITY,I CHOOSE TO SEEK THE SOUL IN ALL LIVING THINGS,I CHOOSE TO LINK TO THE WORLD OF INSPIRATION,I CHOOSE THE PRINCIPLE OF SHARING,I CHOOSE TO BECOME A CO-CREATOR IN LIFE AND LIVE IT MORE ABUNDANTLY.

I tried one of those bitter sprays to get Nibbler to stop washing her bald belly. My son was curious what it tasted like and tried it after he sprayed Nibbler's belly.  Nibbler went back to cleaning her belly without skipping a beat, but my son was frantically making funny faces, sticking tongue out of mouth, rinsing and brushing his mouth. He said after a few minutes he can still taste it, and took one of my cough drops to cover the taste. That seemed the only thing that worked. I didn't want Nibbler to get stuck in her depression. I lost my cat Katie when she got stuck in depression after her adopted son, Simba, died and she willed herself to death. The bond Moose and Nut Nibbler had was just as strong as that bond.

Since everything we've tried to cheer up little Nut Nibble has failed (she may enjoy the pets but walks away looking sad), we went down to the shelter to look at kittens. I told my son avoid black and white kittens they'll remind Nibbler too much of Moose. The first kitten we came upon looked like a smaller version of the mighty Moose cat and was very playful. There was a grey kitten with two orange ones that were very loving and playful. When I look for a new pet, I find the ones that its harder for them to find a home. We saw two black kittens with a sign that reads, " We are bonded and loving brother/sister team who would love to find a forever home together. We love to play and purr, but take some gentle attention at first." The pound had a deal on them get 2 for the price of one. They had to be adopted by someone who wasn't renting. They are very shy, but I knew we found the right kittens. The pound named the boy that is twice the size of his sister, Midnight, and his sister Magic. I'll probably change these name after I get to know them better. I will get a picture up soon. My phone is charging and I think the flash from my camera is too much for them now.  I decided to getting two kittens, so they can play with each other when Nibbler isn't in the mood and while she learns to accept and love them.

Normally when I introduce my poor grieving cat to a kitten, they accept them asap and start to mothering them starting with a bath. This is to get them smelling like home vs their old home, shelter, etc. Nibbler fluffed and hissed, so the kittens were put in their 'safe room' for the slow intro. This method can take weeks or months depending on the cat. Patience is a virtue with the slow method, but if done right they will be best buds. This gives Nibbler time to adjust to the kittens and the kittens time to get use to their new home and family. The kittens have a collar on with bells. This is so Nibbler can hear them and I can tell them apart (other then size they are both jet black and can't tell them apart). The boy has a black collar and the girl has a blue collar. They have a few toys (one toy mouse is already missing its tail), a cubby hole, litter box, and food and water (by door but out of the way of it). Scent is very important to cats, so some small towels were placed with the kitten (in a few days, I'll move them where Nibbler can read them) and one of Nibbler's small pillows was put in the kittens safe room. If you think about it, your home is covered in different scents from household, you, dog(s), and your cat(s) that rub everything. The trick here is to mix the kittens scent into this mix to help Nibbler accept them. When I pet Nibbler or the kittens i get as much of their scent on my hands (the cheek and chin are the best spots on the face) then I go to the other kitty and let them read my hands. After they are done, I pet them mixing these cat/kitten scents.  Nibbler spent most of the night hanging out by the door of the safe room. The male kitten is more adventurous then his sister and stuck his paw under the door. Nibbler jumped and ran, she returned shortly after.  When Nibbler is fed, its by the safe rooms door. Nibbler loves food (especially canned) as her fat belly will tell you. While she's eating, she can smell and hear the little ones on the other side of the door. I also pet her as she eats. My dog and pup are either outside or in another room given the sit or lay with wait commands. They watch my cat be fed first. This is teaching them that the cat is higher ranking in our pack. If anything should happen to them, they have to answer to me, their alpha. Eventually, I'll let Nibbler explore the safe room without the kittens in there. They'll be busy exploring the house. When they do meet eye to eye, I have the kittens in a carrier at first. Safety is the 1st thing to think of for everyone sake. Slowly they will be allowed to share the same room. I'll have them play a game together like chasing a red dot, string, etc to reinforce a positive relationship between them.    

The boy kitten is warming up faster, and I'll probably use him to get his sister calmer faster. Last night, I got him to lay on my lap and start a roaring purr. Later, the kittens were in their bed and I got both purring loudly ( I got my son to enjoy giving some pets and bonding). It's been years since I've heard a kitten's purr. I know Nibbler is still hurting with her daddy Moose death, but she doesn't seem to be depressed anymore.... kinda curious and slightly ticked (that will pass).  During their introduction, Nut Nibbler needs to learn and understand they are not a threat to her or her resources (food, toys, turf, me-love/attention, etc), and in no way am I replacing our beloved Moose. I could never do that, there isn't a cat alive that is like our Moose. Every cat is special in their own way and have a special place in our hearts.