• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Purple Power

My new pup Chloe

2 hours ago, Purple Power said:

Chloe has graduated from basic training today. She starts her next class on the 22nd

4  1 2019 Chloe  grad basic 1.jpg

What a good girl. 

Each class is a 6-week course. Petsmart teaches positive-reinforcement training meaning praise for an action completed and no praise for an action left incomplete. I went with Petsmart because of this with Copper's past in mind. I found a great instructor, and have the same one for Chloe. Chloe loves her. It's one of the very few times, she'll pull on a leash. She'll be wiggling and will be goofy....and of course ask for belly rub ( may turn that into a command for her).  When I give a command like sit, and if Chloe doesn't do sit, I look away. Once she'll sits, I tell her she a good girl usually with pets or scratches or thank you. If she's being stubborn, I'll turn around and won't look at her until is does what she was told to do. If she lays down instead of sit, I tell her wrong one and look away. She'll think about for a few sec then sit.  With the basic class, I've been working with her by herself. Copper is very distracting to Chloe during her training sessions. Copper's brain on his shoulders has checked out since getting Chloe. The only time he remember his training is when they are separated otherwise he's trying to get her to play or jump on her. With these 2 classes, I'll probably start having them together when training. It'll be good for both.  Part of the reason of getting Chloe was to help heal Copper mentally.

Intermediate is ideal for dogs who have completed a Puppy or Beginner class such as sit, wait, come, but need to practice those behaviors with added distractions. I started Chloe's training in the quiet house. My cat/kittens were locked up in a room (under much protest) and Copper in is crate. Once she was understanding what I wanted with each command, I started her training in the backyard. My hens were behind a fence. 1st behind 2 fence lines, now behind one. My hens are currently prepping my biggest raised garden bed. Beside how distracting chickens can be, Chloe must be use to them for her job of being their guardian.  In the house the cat/kittens weren't restricted to a room. The little dog across the street barks at everything, at first Chloe was focused on it and pointing. Now when I take her out, that little dog is barking up a storm and Chloe may look at it for a little bit, but goes back to her business. The Intermediate course helps dogs reinforce behaviors/commands learned in basic, but simulates distractions so you are able to achieve the same results no matter the situation.  This course helps dogs who already know basic cues achieve the same results in situations that add more distance, duration and distractions to previously learned cues.

some cues taught:

Maintaining “Sit” and "wait" during Distance, Duration, and Distraction

Loose Leash Walking Overall

Heel- Right Turn “Heel” and Left Hand “Heel”

Stay- Stay and Wait are different. Wait is I don't care if you stand, lay, or sit, just wait there. Stay is if tell her to sit, I expect her to sit there and not move until I release her.

Easy

Go to Bed

Stand

“Place” or “Settle” with Distance, Duration, and Distraction.  The command “place” or “settle” and designating a no-slide mat for her to report to and stay until I relieve her.

With the basic, my train instructor would ask us if we had any problems. If we did, she'd tell us why it was wasn't working (example over loading a command, other basic house manners, boarding issues, house-training, you name it. ) and tell us what to do.

gallery_2188_61_23224.png  

Classy, sassy, and a bit of a smart assy

Oh wow, thanks for telling me all that. She has learned a lot. The right turn and left-hand heel. Are things I'd never heard of. I also never heard about the settle command. Versus just stop it.
That loose leash command also will come in handy. I think once you get through the second class, she'll be ready to work around chickens? What do you think?

Chloe is still a big puppy. Her last weigh in was about 2 months ago, and she was 71lbs and still growing.  She may be for a while since her elbow dysplasia prevented her being the playful puppy she truly is. Now with her treatments, she can do what she wants without pain for the most part. She not the same 6 month old puppy I got in Nov. that was full of pain. She's now 10 months old. It's rare to see her limp although she still hold it up from time to time. I think this is from habit. When my dogs are out playing and getting a little rough, it's Copper I hear yelping, not Chloe now. When I got her, she was a few inches shorter then Copper and a little lighter (not much). Now Chloe is a good 4 or 5 inches taller and 20lbs heavier then Copper.  They'll run and jump all over the backyard for a 1/2 hour straight. Copper (6 years old) gets tired, but Chloe still wants to play. On Chloe's graduation day, she was playing with the other dog, a pug. Chloe was jumping over her on slippery concrete without a problem. That was a first. Chloe is normally very careful on that floor. She slides all the time on it. A few weeks ago, when I was trying to teach her shake, Chloe was sliding just sitting there. So I used this to my advantage, and taught her bow. She loves showing this trick off now.  The more Chloe heals and feels normal, the more I see the goof ball in her. She is a very happy carefree pup. I know there is a serious side to her, but for now I want this playful pup in her that was trapped out.  

The main thing I've been working with Chloe and my hens, is them getting use to another while making sure Chloe isn't focused on them too much. She's getting better. When she is, I tell her no or leave it even when she does a play bow. She must understand these hens aren't toys....and they lay the eggs Chloe enjoys with her meals. I'll see she how she is doing the class and training before I put my 18 fluffy butts hens at risk. Chloe will be on a leash.

I've trained 2 adult dogs to leave my lady hens alone, Chloe is the first pup. She has huge paws to fill. I have high hopes that she'll be as great as my dog before Copper, Chakotay. From Chokatay's point of view, the hens were part of his pack. He marked each one.  He protected them from predators like birds of prey. He killed the rats too. Every morning, Chakotey would count each of his girls as he gave them a good morning sniff and kiss. If one was missing, he'd stay by the coop waiting for her while being able to watch the other hens. When it rained, was too windy, or a storm was coming, my good boy would gather all the hens under him and slowly walk them to their coop. If a wind gust started, he'd lower in a way to block it. He'd count every hen with a sniff and kiss to make sure all were safe. If any were missing, he'd find them and bring them to the coop. When my hen did the egg song, my faithful boy would howl with them. At my hen bedtime, he'd take them to their coop and wait by the door until we closed/locked it. He loved each one. Sweet & Sour are my only hens that knew him and still miss him. They could lay on, stretch through his thick fur, ride him when he walked or stood. They trusted each other so much that my hens could pick of the flies that were bugging him, including the flies around his eyes. We had to feed him when the hens were locked up since they would eat his food in front of him. No, he didn't like this but never once attacked them. Instead, he'd be standing by them wriggling his nose and showing his teeth while making funny sounding noises.

7 21 14 dog and hens 2.jpg

7 21 14 dog and hens.jpg

moved to computer 8 5 2016 004.JPG

moved to computer 8 5 2016 006.JPG

moved to computer 8 5 2016 036.JPG

Chloe saw her holistic vet today. The click in her elbow is gone. I'm tempted to get an x ray done from her regular vet. He said muscles on both side are both good and strong, no muscle atrophy.  She'll continue the Western herb tincture rubbed on and in her food. She'll start Si Wu Tang in her food and continue the super essentials. Once nights are 55f or more, she'll start black walnut for heart worm preventive.