• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Purple Power

My new pup Chloe

Right now have a dog sleeping on either side of me.

11 9 2018 Moose checking out Chloe 1e.jpg

11 9 2018 Moose checking out Chloe 1.jpg

It's been an exciting day for both. I went to meet Chloe first on my own at the pound. . I let them know Copper's history with them. Chloe was shy but sweet after warming up (didn't take long). She was a stray and the pound thinks she's just 5 months old. She's almost the size of Copper and he's a full grown 3 year old. I put her on hold and went to get my dog. I let him sniff me to read Chloe, and his tail started wagging and his sniffing intensified. He started to give his happy excited wine and bolted where his leash is. Let's just say this was a excited car ride. I checked in for the meet and great then took Copper outside. While waiting, he marked every tree and bush ...and took the biggest poo I've even seen him do.

Chloe came out, Copper stood at attention, wagging his tail and wining. We walked Chloe and Copper down to a fenced in area with a chain link between us a few times. Copper calmed down a little. We did the same thing in the fence area for awhile allowing them to get a sniff of each other hear and there. All going well so we let Chloe walk area with leash dragging on the ground. Then I dropped Coppers leash on the ground and we watched them. Copper found a few toys laying around, so they were put up. I found many Copper missed while checking out Chloe. The ran around together. some playful growls. The only not so friendly growls was when Copper was smelling her rear too long. I think she was saying, I'm not that kind of girl) She was spayed 2 days ago.  When one stopped running the other would stop. We watched this go on for 30 minutes.

I put Copper in the car while doing the paper work to adopt his new buddy. Chloe needed to be lifted in the car even though she was quiet on the trip to her new home, she did pee a little. I will work with her on car rides among other things. I have her vet visit set up, got her some puppy food, vita hip and joint support for hips and joint health. I'll be ordering her DNA test to confirm she is an Aust Shepherd X Great Pyrenees. 

When we got home, I got Chloe out of the car then Copper. I took them to the front yard for a bit then in the house. Moose was under the dining room table and stared not fluffy. Chloe is more interested in a quick sniff then move on. Locked the hens to the side yard before letting Chloe explore the backyard on leash at first. Later Copper wanted to play and run around with her. I did let her look at the hens and distracted her and saying no anytime she was staring too long.

11 9 2018 new pup Chloe 1.jpg

11 9 2018 new pup Chloe 1a.jpg

11 9 2018 new pup Chloe 1b.jpg

11 9 2018 new pup Chloe 1c.jpg

11 9 2018 new pup Chloe 1d.jpg

11 9 2018 new pup Chloe 1e.jpg

11 9 2018 new pup Chloe 1f.jpg

11 9 2018 new pup Chloe 1g.jpg

It'll take some time for the hens and Chloe to get used to get other.

11 9 2018 new pup Chloe 1h.jpg

11 9 2018 new pup Chloe 1i.jpg11 9 2018 new pup Chloe 1j.jpg

11 9 2018 new pup Chloe 1l.jpg

11 9 2018 new pup Chloe 1m.jpg

11 9 2018 new pup Chloe 1n.jpg

Copper has shared a few treats he has stashed away. Chloe has peed once in the house but stopped when told no...finished outdoors. She is picking up on some commands, mostly cause she sees Copper do them and both are told they are a good girl/boy. Nibbler has tried the fluffy badass and was chase not long

Below is Moose walking slowly by a sleeping pup. He did smell her feet. Sometimes Copper will give a yelp when they play. Chloe is still learning how to have a soft mouth.

11 9 2018 Moose checking out Chloe 1a.jpg

11 9 2018 Moose checking out Chloe 1b.jpg

11 9 2018 Moose checking out Chloe 1c.jpg

11 9 2018 Moose checking out Chloe 1d.jpg

gallery_2188_61_23224.png  

Classy, sassy, and a bit of a smart assy

How thrilling a day for you and Copper. She looks like she is taking well to her new environment, The peeing is natural for her to mark, she'll grow out that fast as long as your right on her when she starts. Very exciting news for the farm. Im very happy for you. 

I aspect pee accidents with puppies. Sometimes something is scary, or they just can't hold it anymore. I'll start teaching her how to let me know she needs to go out. She doesn't know how to enter or get out of a car, so I get how a car ride would be scary. I'll  be working with her on that, first how to get in and out of a car. Once she gets the hang of it, then car ride to a fun place. Since she's going to be a big girl when grown, I think the back would be a great spot... plus have a huge floor mat there.

11 hours ago, EDDIEKIRK said:

@Purple Power ,Were, you told she was fine around Cats? She seems right at home. 

They didn't know how she'll deal with cats or chickens, only dogs since she'd be in play groups

11 10 2018 Chloe and Copper 1a.jpg

Copper and Chloe are becoming inseparable. Last night, they were cuddled up chewing on cow hoofs together, but they got up when I tried to take a picture.  They play together all the time, in and outdoors. They have a game where one has a toy or chew item, like hoof, in their mouth where there's lots of bouncing, play bow, licking faces, pawing each other on head, body, and rear. I guess you could call play bites, growls, and barks. They do try to mouthing each other. She just humped Copper and he allowed it. When Chloe gets a little too rough, he gives a somewhat aggressive bark and Chloe stops 99% of the time. I think its his way of saying knock it off. They've had very few disagreements were I had to yell at them.  They are in the backyard now playing tug a war or running around

11 10 2018 Copper sleeping 1.jpg

At night, Chloe sleeps in the create and Copper with major cat protests, sleeps by me in bed

11 10 2018 Chloe sleeping 1a.jpg

I haven't seen Copper this happy since he relied he found his forever home.

11 10 2018 Chloe and Copper 1.jpg

Here's a few pics of their paws

Copper's front paw

11 10 2018 Copper Front paw 1a.jpg

11 10 2018 Copper Front paw 1b.jpg

Chloe's front paw

11 10 2018 Chloe Front paw 1.jpg

11 10 2018 Chloe Front paw 1a.jpg

11 10 2018 Chloe Front paw 1b.jpg

Chloe's back paw

11 10 2018 Chle back paw 1.jpg

Today, I took Copper and Chloe to my dad's place out in the country. I'm trying to teach Chloe that not all car rides are bad. Yesterday, I just took her to the pet store alone. My dad has 2 really stupid sheep, 2 jack-asses, and a steer. There are 3 stray cats have claimed this area too, 2 have been around for years and fairly tame, the 3rd showed up last month. All I can say it's a black long hair cat that runs off when it sees you.  Chloe is getting better getting in and out of my SUV with a little help. Like normal Copper was excitedly wining on the way there. He's figured out if I go 1 way it's the vet, if I go the other way, its the pet store or farm. Chloe is already showing signs of being protective of me and she doesn't like men in general. So far the only really aggressive growls and barks have been towards men. With women she all kisses and enjoying pets and treats. This is something that I'll be addressing.  I gave my dad some of her treats to get her to stop growling and barking at him on the 2nd attempt to meet. She stopped growling and barking, slowly walked up to my dad and smelled him, gave a few licks then dad gave her a treat and a pet. Chloe might be just 6 months, but she has a loud booming bark, and I wouldn't mess with a dog with her growl. I'm glad she doesn't usually pull on the leash when she does that. I'd be guessing this is the Great Pyrenees since from what I've read they are extremely protective of their pack to the point of giving their life. Our pack is me, Copper, 2 cats and 18 hens....I don't think she noticed the fish, but that wouldn't matter. She would protect everything I have. She'll be meeting my son in a week. I'm hoping it goes well.  Chloe did give a soft barks at my step mom and stopped once dad left. After Chloe came up to my step mom smelled her hand and licked it. I walked them for a bit to go potty before going in the house. I normally leave the leash on them in dad's house, so when he opens the door I can grab the dogs. Well Chloe found when she picked up Copper's leash and pulls a little, he follows her lead. Like when I got Copper, my step mom is hoping my dad would get a dog. If they do, I recommend rescues. Chloe is my 4th dog, out of the 4 dogs I've have or had 3 came from the pound. The dog before Copper came from a friend. I happened to be visiting when their puppies (Alaskan malamute, Alaskan Husky, Australian Shepherd mix) were ready to find new homes. At first I said no, but would look at them. I picked each one up and let them smell me then set them down. Then walked about 5 feet away and waited. 2 puppies started walking towards me, a pup that I was interested in and my dog. The puppy I was hoping for walked about half way then turned around and went back to mom. My dog walked over to me, smelled my shoe then peed on it. I looked up to my friend and said I guess I've been claimed,  I'll take him. He became the first guardian to my hen flock, Sweet & Sour are from that flock. I gave him 17 years of love. He dug a hole and half buried himself two nights before my birthday where he died. Sweet and Sour were trying to wake him up and were depressed for months.  My 1st dog was on the short list at the pound. If she wasn't adopted that day, they'd put her down. She was 5 years then and died at 25.

After a bit once my dogs were calm, we (step mom and me) took them out to explore and mark the farm. The donkeys and steer (with hay in his mouth) came out to the gates. Copper is always excited with the donkeys...more so with the sounds they make. He keeps a healthy distance, yet wants to sniff them. One time, he tried to pee on one and was almost bit. He would of been, if I didn't jerk his leash. Chloe looked at the donkeys and sniffed the air. She didn't charge, bark, or do anything to chase or bite them. She seemed to know to not approach them. Then we went over to the steer. When the steer got closer to sniff the dogs, Copper took a quick sniff then left. I guess seeing how huge the steer's nose was and not afraid scared him off. He was as far over away from the steer as the leash allowed. Copper quite literally crapped himself. Chloe wasn't afraid. Her eyes were fearless. The steer and her smelled noses for a while. The steer backed off after she licked his nose. She seems very conformable with large farm animals. Once the steer went back to the barn for more hay, we walked the dogs around to sniff around and mark territory. Copper was smelling some bushes when I noticed his nose was pressing on one of the cat's chest. The long hair calico cat I call Hissy. Surprisingly, she didn't attack him. Just backed off looking rather annoyed. Copper found a vertebrata in another bush and didn't share it with Chloe. After he was done, we took them in to get some water. We chatted for awhile while the dog played or Chloe lead Copper around. After I got my dogs home and a potty break ( a bit of excitement there), they both took a nap. Chloe paws were moving quite a bit as well as sniffing. Sometimes I wonder what do my pets dream of.

Copper doesn't have a trace of hound in him (had him DNA tested), but he does sing when other dogs bark at him. Just doesn't sound like a hound. The neighbor's across the street are bad dog owners, no training, allow it to bark the entire time its outdoors. When it escapes, it runs around not coming to its name. It kinda taunts them by running towards them, but when its almost close enough to grab, it darts off. They'll be laughing while trying to catch their dog.  I've lost count on how many times its darted in front of a car and almost got hit. On a good day, they catch it in 1 1/2 hours. On a bad day, 4-6 hours. When I got home, I took my dogs to the front yard to do there business (my hens were loose in the backyard and Chloe is still in training with them) when the neighbor dog was let out in its yard. Of coarse its barking like crazy at us and 2 people walking their 2 dogs down the middle of the street. So I'm dealing with a bouncing singing Copper on one leash and a growling load boom barking Chloe on the other. Chloe is 6 months old and 55lbs, I think she'll be around 110lbs when grown. I'll have a better idea once I get results for her DNA test that get here tomorrow for her to take, after that 2-3 weeks get the results. For that little barking dog across the streets sake, it better not even think of getting close to my fence lines when it prancing around the neighborhood. I think Chloe may of ID'd it as a rodent, threat to pack, or at least a trespasser. My front yard fence is 4ft tall chain link and the back yard is 6ft cedar (it's stained). These fences are under a year to 2 years old. I already picked up info for puppy school for her. The pound also gave a booklet full of couples, some things are discounts or things like doggie day camp 1 session, 1/2 hour of private trainer for free

It's been a busy day at the pet store, I used a few of the coupons. One for a buck off on name tag (she has a pink bone with her name now) , a buy one treat and get one free ( cow hoof seems to be a hit with both dogs), $2 off a new food bowl (Chloe likes to lay down when she eats, so got her one with low edges and wide plus rubber on bottom so it doesn't slide.) set up a free dog exam and consultation in 2 weeks (I bring the coupon for the visit to be free, I have many questions like best food since she has mild hip dyspepsia, how much to feed her, how much weight should she gain a week, how much exercise and how hard can it be (she loves playing with Copper), the supplements I got her are they just good or really good for her,  just a few questions on the top of my head) and did the paperwork for a free 1/2 hour with private dog trainer (should get a call today to set it up this week). There is a coupon for a free bag of dog food, but figured I'll wait until after the vet visit. I may want to ask about her bad gas. The pound mixes donated dog food and feeds the dogs, so needless to say I can't do that plus it's most likely poor quality food. I need to make sure her bad gas is from the sudden shift in food and not a medical problem. BTW, how long does it take for dog's digestive tract get used to new food? Chloe farts then either paws her nose or gets up and moves. Unfortunately for me, she likes to lay near me so getting gassed often. Even my cat Moose has given up lap time for now. 

Chloe's canine DNA test came today. Its for what breeds are in her and multi-drug Sensitivity. She just took it and did very well, nice and calm. I think I'm starting to see some trust in those beautiful eyes. I'll be sending it tomorrow.

I'm starting to create train her with Coppers. She goes in at night, so my cats can freely roam the house. Nibbler is still a bit shy, but has started to come out and look while Chloe sleep and runs off from the slightest movement. Also when I leave the house, I try to keep those short. Once I have an idea of how big she'll get, then I'll get her own create and bed. My current estimate is based off of what the pound said. At 6 months, she's 55lbs double it to get adult weight comes to 110lbs. She fits in Copper's beds (he has 3) as long as she doesn't stretch out. She starts in a ball and as she sleeps slow stretches out.

I just signed Chloe up for training school through Petsmart. She'll be going threw the Premium package which is Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced Education. Once a week for 1 hour in a class setting with the trainer and others for 6 weeks for each level. I like classes during the day during most business hours that way the classes are smaller and the store is quieter . They do offer therapy dog training too and may consider it after her training is done

I love your stories Purp.  They create such a clear picture of the personalities of all your animals.  I admire your dedication to their health and the fact that you rescue.  It's obvious you are a true animal lover.  It's so awesome that Copper and Chloe are bonding and will be friends for life!!

2 hours ago, Suzycrmcheese said:

I love your stories Purp.  They create such a clear picture of the personalities of all your animals.  I admire your dedication to their health and the fact that you rescue.  It's obvious you are a true animal lover.  It's so awesome that Copper and Chloe are bonding and will be friends for life!!

Even as a young child, I had a gift with animals. In my eyes, animals are innocent and the ones that were treated badly are the ones I search for. These are ones that are most likely never to be adopted and most likely will be put down to no fault of their own, but to some past bad owner who damaged them, threw them away and unfortunately probably got another. I rehab, train, and give them a job. Of course lots of love along the way. With Chloe, I figured her future large size and mild hip dyspepsia would make it very hard for her to find a loving home.

Chloe doesn't like men or tools especially hammers so far. These facts were not told to me by the pound.  She has a limp with her front left shoulder. She's missing two front teeth (upper left). During thanksgiving break my son came to visit for a week. Upon seeing my son, Chloe whose normally a very cuddle loving pup, started growing and barking. Luckily, I had a hold of her since she did try to attack him. I told my son get some pepperoni (when training a new pet, always have high value treats in the frig) and in little to no time at all, she decided he was a good person wagging her tail and licking him.  My son and I use tools all the time building, modifying, or fixing something. In fact, I already have ideas to modify the hens new coop to make it better. During the week, we were working on the chicken coop's roof. My son picked up a hammer and Chloe cowered to the floor. We weren't sure if she was going to pee herself or attack. This was the first time I saw fear in her eyes. My son immediately put the hammer down and gave her treats and pets when she was ready.  That reaction screams something very bad happened to this young pup (keep in mind she just turned 6 month old when I adopted her) and with her limp make one wonder was she beaten with a hammer by a man. I ordered a dog chew toy in the shape of a hammer, its orange. I want to desensitize her slowly starting with shape. When she saw it, she hid behind Copper. Copper looked at her and gave her a lick then came over, he sniffed it and grabbed it starting to chew it a little. Chloe came over and watched him for a bit before she took it from Copper. She mostly carries it around now, but will chew on it here and there. Its usually close to her weather she chewing a treat, or napping. When Copper tries to steal it, they will fight. I use Sentry Stop That and it works in seconds. When sprayed, it makes a ssshhhh noise as it releases calming dog pheromones. While they are still sitting there confused, I redirect them. Up to this point, I had been focusing on building trust and basic commands like sit, lay, leave it, etc. 

The 'Leave It" command is very important here with 18 hens, a cat and now 2 kittens (3 mo old, a brother and sister). Moose died the day before Thanksgiving, Nut Nibbler and I were both crushed. Nibbler started acting depressed about a month (his 1st crash in heath) before her daddy Moose died by eating too much and cleaning her belly until bald and it got worse after he died. My son got us two little black kittens from the pound since everything we tried to cheer up Nibbler failed. I'll get a new thread on them soon.

Oh no, sorry to hear about Moose.  It's tough when our fur babies leave us.  It also makes me sad to realize how much abuse that Chloe must have endured.  I will never understand the cruelty of some people!!  I recently put in an application to be a foster parent for Greenhill Humanity shelter, taking care of smaller kittens or older dogs and cats rehabilitating.  Giving them up might be hard.

4 hours ago, Suzycrmcheese said:

Oh no, sorry to hear about Moose.  It's tough when our fur babies leave us. 

Here's the link to Moose RIP   

It also makes me sad to realize how much abuse that Chloe must have endured.  I will never understand the cruelty of some people!!  I recently put in an application to be a foster parent for Greenhill Humanity shelter, taking care of smaller kittens or older dogs and cats rehabilitating.  Giving them up might be hard.

I will never understand how someone can take a sweet and trusting pet and subject it to so much cruelty. I"m not forgiving and I don't forget about cruelty of any kind. I have no problem walking up to a person (including my own kids) torturing their pet/animal and attacking them in some way, could be punching, kicking, or choking, to get them to stop asap. Or record it and report it.  If the law didn't say it was illegal to kill these scumbags, I'd kill them slowly on the spot.

Chloe and Copper are outside playing now.

The pound doesn't open until 11 am, so I went to pet smart to delay Chloe's puppy school start date ( I plan on going down there to talk to the trainer face to face this afternoon)and also asked if they knew of any charities that could help. I asked this question at a few places and to my disappointment, there is only one in this valley. I called left a message and sent them an e-mail also. One of the places I went to told me of a veterinarian in Grants Pas that may be able to do the surgery. I called them and they are going to get a copy of the x ray then get back to me.I'm looking at all possible options.

I just got back from the pound. I talked to the manager. We went over Chloe's medical record and she admitted their vet didn't take x-ray of Chloe'd limping right front because she thought the hip was the problem. I explained to her that I adopted Chloe about a month ago and had to wait until yesterday to get her in the vet. That was the first opening they had. I told her front right leg was getting worse with the cold weather and the vet had an x-ray done. Chloe was diagnosed with UAP fracture in her elbow. A UAP is Ununited Anconeal Process, a type of elbow dyspepsia from what I've read. My vet refereed me to a specialty center for surgery. I called them and got a estimate. The consultation alone is $145 and the surgery will cost somewhere between $3200-3600. I her that I would like to keep Chloe but I can't afford the specialist's cost. I've been try to find charities to help or find another veterinarian that can do it for a lower price. The manager said they won't pay for the specialist, but what she will do is call their veterinarian to see if she can do it and we split the cost 50/50. I showed the bill from my vet so she could get the info she needed like a e mailed x ray of Chloe's leg. She told me she'd let me know if their vet can can do it. I'm hoping this will happen.

The charity, No Pet Left Behind, called back. She was amazed at all I had already done trying to find a why for Chloe to get her surgery. She said I'm like a fresh breath of air, I said I thought this was common sense.  She said most people that call her don't do anything they just want someone to pay their bill even if they can afford it, but she could tell I was one those responsible pet owner determined to find a way to make this work. She was amazed I drove down to the pound to talk to the manager face to face. They can help with the consultation cost. We need to wait to see if the pound's vet can do the surgery then we can talk if they can help.  I told her I'd keep her updated. She suggested if the pound's vet can't do the surgery if they were willing to pay half of the cost if their vet could of done it. I told her I would ask if we cross that road. She told me of a few resources I could also try.

I am very happy you've gotten ahold of the manager and retained some sort of commitment to have part of the surgery costs split with the pound. 

Of course, that comes with the stipulation that you use their vet and that their vet agrees to attempt the surgery. I understand that you're going to be very busy with this and that the final outcome is somewhere in the distant future.  Standing by for updates. 

The pound called to let me know that she is waiting to hear from there vet. Their vet should get a copy of Chloe's x-ray and look at it today. I asked if they can't and I find a vet that can, would you still be willing to pay 1/2. She said they don't have a contract with them, but if the price is responsible they would.

Well to me it seems obvious that they knew there could be an existing condition of which they should have told you when you bought the puppy. 

1 hour ago, EDDIEKIRK said:

Well to me it seems obvious that they knew there could be an existing condition of which they should have told you when you bought the puppy. 

I agree and think that's why they are willing to pay half with lots of IF's. Personally, I think they should pay for 100% since Chloe was showing signs of UAP from day 1 with them and I think they should allow me to pick where she gets her treatment.

I set up the consultation with the specialty center for next Tuesday (so I can fully understand everything involved), and with another clinic for an exam from their joint dr. I'm hopeful that the pound's vet can do the surgery, but if not I'm trying to find one that can and hopefully the pound will agree to to pay.

I do have a question about care credit. many vet clinics and the 1 charity in this valley have mentioned to sigh up with them. The charity requires I sign up to get help from them.  I doubt I would be accepted being on SSI. I can't find any answers regarding min incomes, or if they accept people on SSI, or what the min payments would be (that's very important for me to know with a 500/mo income that pays every single bill). If anyone here has this or applied but denied for this care credit, can you tell me about your experience with them.

I'm still waiting to hear from the pound....I'll probably call tomorrow to see what's going on.

I ordered a ramp for Chloe to use. It's a Pet Gear Travel Lite Ramp with supertraX Surface for Maximum Traction, 4 Models to Choose from, 42-71 in. Long, Supports 150-200 lbs, Find The Best Fit for Your Pet. It's on sale for $83.74, normal price is $109.99. It should be here by Tuesday. I have a feeling this will get a lot of use.

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Gear-supertraX-Traction-Supports/dp/B071YTHXWG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

26 minutes ago, EDDIEKIRK said:

I hope she takes to it really fast

me too

I've been reading reviews on the care credit and they looks horrid. Even before finding reviews, my gut said...or more so screamed DON'T SIGN UP FOR IT, YOU'LL REGRET IT. lots of people complain for customer service say their work with them then don't, paying off the balance or making a large payment resulting in drop in credit limit and/or closing the account without notice. several people said they paid off the same balance twice and still had problems. Most people warned to not get this card, get a regular credit card. it'll be less of a head ache.

1 minute ago, Purple Power said:

me too

I've been reading reviews on the care credit and they looks horrid. Even before finding reviews, my gut said...or more so screamed DON'T SIGN UP FOR IT, YOU'LL REGRET IT. lots of people complain for customer service say their work with them then don't, paying off the balance or making a large payment resulting in drop in credit limit and/or closing the account without notice. several people said they paid off the same balance twice and still had problems. Most people warned to not get this card, get a regular credit card. it'll be less of a head ache.

Yeah, sounds like your remedy is going to be with the pound, and their vet,  I'm glad you are doing your research.