• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Purple Power

Attorney General Jeff Sessions Resigns Amid Pressure From Trump

Attorney General Jeff Sessions Resigns Amid Pressure From Trump

By Renae Reints
4:01 PM EST

Attorney General Jeff Sessions resigned Wednesday, after enduring more than a year of harsh criticism from President Donald Trump.

While the former Alabama senator was the first to endorse Trump on the 2016 campaign trail, the president quickly turned on Sessions after taking office. Trump viewed Sessions’ choice to recuse himself from the special counsel’s investigation of Russian interference in the election as an act of disloyalty, and apparently never forgave him. In a September interview, Trump said, “I don’t have an attorney general.

Now, just a day after Democrats regained the House majority, Sessions has stepped down. In his resignation letter, Sessions recounted his office’s success with restoring immigration enforcement and targeting the opioid epidemic, but does not comment on the Russia investigation......

http://fortune.com/2018/11/07/sessions-resigns-whitaker-attorney-general/?xid=gn_editorspicks

gallery_2188_61_23224.png  

Classy, sassy, and a bit of a smart assy

BREAKING: Jeff Sessions Resigns as Attorney General

President Trump requested that Jeff Sessions hand in his letter of resignation. And Sessions just complied.

Nick Lindsey

Attorney general Jeff Sessions has just submitted his official resignation, according to early reports from Washington. The resignation comes in response to a request from President Donald Trump, who allegedly made clear that he was going to fire Sessions.

Sessions is Out

According to CNN, Sessions formally submitted his resignation today to White House chief of staff John Kelly. But from the sounds of things, Sessions didn’t do reach this decision all on his own. In fact, CNN reported that Trump “fired Attorney General Jeff Sessions.”

This seems to be supported in Sessions’ letter, which reads in part: “At your request I am submitting my resignation.”

Sessions’ sudden departure means that there will need to be some shuffling around in the Department of Justice. And at this point, it appears that Sessions’ former chief of staff, Matthew G. Whitaker, will take over as acting attorney general......

https://hightimes.com/news/breaking-jeff-sessions-resigns-as-attorney-general/

BREAKING: Trump Fires Attorney General Jeff Sessions

hbk6htsl.bmp

In a startling move, President Trump this morning fired US Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

Sessions, who has been under intense criticism from the President ever since he recused himself from the Russia investigation, submitted his letter of resignation one day after the midterm elections moved the House of Representatives under Democratic control.

Technically, Sessions resigned by submitting a letter to the President. It was clear, however, that the move was forced by Trump.

“Dear Mr. President, at your request I am submitting my resignation,” Sessions wrote in his letter.

Sessions will be immediately replaced by Matthew G. Whittaker, previously Sessions’ chief of staff at the Justice Department. Whittaker will be the Acting AG until the President appoints a permanent replacement, who will need to be approved by the Senate.....

https://www.leafly.com/news/politics/breaking-trump-fires-attorney-general-jeff-sessions