• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

dhoo

Light Deprivation Outdoors

Growing outside in NW Oregon my plants have never finished their cycle before bud rot  sets in.   I get a decent yield but I'd like to see the complete cycle.  This year I'm  going to cover some of them completely with extra large, black plastic garbage  bags to block off the light  for an extra 4 hours each night.    It doesn't hurt anything except slow down the growth a little if not successful.   I'll  abruptly  change the timing 'to 12 hrs of light  which means I will cover them around 5pm and take the covers off after dark.   (  Sunrise 5:22am,  Sunset 9pm.)..    This may get them to flower early.

Then again I've heard that if you deprive them of light for 36 hrs this will do the job.   

I'd appreciate any tips or tricks you know of.

Thanks in advance.      dhoo

I 

I would not personally recommend the black bag method as that in itself can create some potential issues such as the plant over heating, higher moisture levels, potential problems with weak branches if you could set up a green house frame around the area your plants are and then make a blacked out cover that would be ideal then you get total darkness only thing with that is Fans are important you don't want there to just be still air in there with the plants but yeah light dep works great if you grow strains that don't quite finish earlier enough in your area! Hope this was somewhat helpful

Thanks for the input, Pop.

I've got some of the issues covered.   I have large tomato cages for support,  and when these get too short I put in a single pole to take some of the weight of the bags .  The strong gusts we had the other day worries me some but there was no damage.

I cover these late afternoon and uncover after dark.  They get no late  sun so I don't worry about them cooking in the bag.   They seem to tolerate the  shady heat ok for 5 hours or so.   

About growers info:  time to flower.    Does anyone have any idea how accurate that  is?   It seems to me that it's a only a tongue-in-cheek guess.   

Dhoo.

Are You Chatting About When Flowering Starts For Each Strain Or When The Trichomes Are

Generally At Their Peak For Each ? Which For Some Of Us And The Particular Strains We've Grown Can Go Either Way.

Just Wondering With My Foggy Brain Pan... Great Topic And Posts ! Thanks Very Much. Peace, BW :lightning:

I'm growing cheese, northern lights,  and bruce banner.    I picked the northern lights because it had some popularity and  finishes  quicker than most.  Cheese I have grown before and I like and trust it.   Bruce came from  free seeds.

All growing well now.   I've covered one of each for  almost  two weeks.     Looks like they may be in flower.

The lights is a smaller plant,   like it will mature quicker.

I cut the daylight off these about 5pm each evening, wait 'till it's dark, then uncover.

I'm not fertilizing a lot since I usually do too much.   But to encourage these plants to bloom I gave them a shot of 15-30-15, rather than the 24-8-16 I use for the veg state.

A couple years ago some my green beans  wouldn't flower.  the answer I found, too much fertilizer.

Last year some geraniums wouldn't bloom, too much fertilizer.

So I'm backing off fertilizing in all my growing.

By the way the geraniums made it through the mild winter and are looking good.

Hi Dhoo!  One method we've found for speeding up the bloom process is planting in pots that are a bit on the smaller side.  

We've had cannabis plants grown in ten gallon pots finish a month sooner than the same strain planted in the ground.

Noticed the difference years back growing yellow squash.  Had squash on the porch in #5 pots with their first fruit sets within a month of planting when the same plants in the raised beds would continue veg growth for up to two months before producing fruit.  We would get more, smaller fruit faster in pots than the plants in the ground.  Seems to do the same with cannabis. 

Thinking its a survival response to becoming rootbound. 

It does require you to be more diligent on watering/feeding...but has helped with harvesting before the mold takes hold. 

Maybe something to try in seasons to come😀

That's really interesting, another method. 

I've tried holding them in darkness for a bit more than 36 hrs.   They came out of darkness with a yellow center in the colas, looking like it would flower, but then reverted to normal color.    No harm done but it didn't work. 

This small pot idea  gives some flexibility.   If it doesn't work you have a portable plant you can bring inside when bud rot hits.  

Thanks for the info.     Dhoo

Hi Dhoo, I'm Wondering... What Good Would It Do Bringing A Plant Inside That You Would Even Suspect Has Bud Rot ?

Let Alone Taking Any Plant Inside When Bud Rot Hits ? {Personally, I Would Never Bring A Plant Or Plants Indoors From The Outside.}

Your Last Line---> {Quote: " If it doesn't work you have a portable plant you can bring inside when bud rot hits."  :Unquote} 

I Wouldn't Say Your Last Sentence Was Wrong... But We Must Be Careful What Other Guests And Members May Take As Factual....

Plus, As We Know-> Some May 'Run' With That Info Passing It Onto Possibly Many.   

1 hour ago, Brother Will said:

Hi Dhoo, I'm Wondering... What Good Would It Do Bringing A Plant Inside That You Would Even Suspect Has Bud Rot ?

Let Alone Taking Any Plant Inside When Bud Rot Hits ? {Personally, I Would Never Bring A Plant Or Plants Indoors From The Outside.}

Your Last Line---> {Quote: " If it doesn't work you have a portable plant you can bring inside when bud rot hits."  :Unquote} 

I Wouldn't Say Your Last Sentence Was Wrong... But We Must Be Careful What Other Guests And Members May Take As Factual....

Plus, As We Know-> Some May 'Run' With That Info Passing It Onto Possibly Many.   

I love your enthusiasm, I'm sure we are talking about The season for bud rot, like when it's late September and you see 3 weeks of rain ahead. I see it as him grabbing up his plants and finishing them indoors. 

SUCCESS!   I see flowers on all three.   Those in the pictures are cheese.   The others have buds also.

If I were to count the days in bloom I would start in late June.   Should have smokable in late August.  

I have no problems with spider mites.   I heard that chives keep them away.  I had chives in the garden anyway so I divided them ans spotted them

around the area.   No problems with mites.     Dhoo

chs 718.JPG

cheese718.JPG

Way To Go Dhoo ! You Look Like You're Right On Course/If Not Ahead Of Schedule. They're Just Gorgeous !

Yeah Right On Plant And Divide Chive Plants. I'm Not Sure If It's The Onion Or Garlic Chives Which Are The Strongest Natural Deterrent ?

Onion Seems To Have Worked Here. Anyway... Just An Excellent Job And Man Late August That's Outstanding ! Nothing Like NL !

Heck...To Tell The Truth...  I'd Be Super Happy With Anytime In September LOL . These Strains Are Going To Be Great Watching Them Grow.

So Happy To Hear Another Grower {You} Say They Don't Feed Much. BRAVO Really ! As You Know Your Whole Growth Cycle

With As Healthy As Your Plants Look Already Are Now Very Capable Of Defending Themselves Against All The Outdoor This And Many Thats.

And Additionally... As You Know, Your End Product Will Be So Much More Enjoyable. BTW... Very Nice Pictures/Thanks Very Much Dhoo.

Can't Wait To See More.  Peace, BW.