Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Beardo

Rosin anyone?

Anyone into pressing or even just enjoying rosin?

It's pretty wild how far I watched it go from being a few guys experimenting with flat-irons/etc to the big commercial presses people are rockin' today.

I've only experimented with it on my own at home, low-tech style, but right off the bat it was the best tasting oil I'd ever had by a long shot. I've pressed fresh flower, dry flower, and dry sift. All three were similar in that they were extremely flavorful and long lasting, yet had subtle differences in color, consistency and flavor (and clearly yield)

Here are a few things I was actually patient enough to take pictures of before excitedly making it vanish.

The first was a nug of some outdoor Cherry Pie

IMAG1449.jpg

and it gave me this (first press on the right, second on the left)

IMAG1450.jpg

which collected into this (there may have been a little third press in there too, I forget)

IMAG1452.jpg

2015-12-29_21-05-36.png

Then there was some Sweet Tooth flower

IMAG1467.jpg

which gave me this

IMAG1468.jpg

IMAG1466.jpg

and led to dabs like this.. the very best tasting oil I've ever had. Tastes like vaping a Lifesavers candy. Such a clean, long lasting high.

2015-12-29_21-04-32.png

and then there were the dry-sift efforts

IMAG1483.jpg

IMAG1482.jpg

and gave me presses like this

IMAG1523.jpg

IMAG1518.jpg

IMAG1513.jpg

IMAG1531.jpg

IMAG1485.jpg

IMAG1500.jpg

IMAG1499.jpg

IMAG1496.jpg

Pressure with what? I think someone said they used a hair straightener. IDK.  :1974_eating_popcorn:

I know I'd get super baked on that.. :D

rosin press.jpg

I helped put this together for a friend of mine. Was relatively cheap. Still waiting for him to finish. Rosin is the way to go, though. Tasty dabs with a good yield mostly in my experience.  :Big Grin:

You can make it at home without having to buy a shop press by using a hair straightener/flat iron and either your body weight or even better a quick clamp to really squeeze the plates together. I press as high as 220 degrees but I don't really go over that. Lower temps yield less but the quality/flavor's higher. Higher temps the quality starts to degrade but the yield picks up (as is the balance with most extracts/concentrates)

I'd love a shop press with the heated plates and PID controller etc but I'm not going to worry about upgrading to that until I have ounces of flower/IWE/dry sift to press at a time. When it comes to pressing a personal amount at home, I'm absolutely fine with a flat iron, quick clamp and parchment paper (and coffee filters for the dry sift).

Flower yields are in the 20-25% range whereas dry sift and IWE can get up to around 60% yields (of course depending on the quality of the sift/IWE)

No solvents to buy or spend time purging out, no safety/danger concerns, best tasting oil you can dab the second you're done making it if you want.

Thanks for explaining this to me guys. I thought I could do this at home and was right.

About how many tons does it take?

ee55239c1905ed92cc2587a0387e65a4.png

It's not as much about tons per se as it is about psi. Your tonnage will depend on the size of the plates you're using and choosing a press with a higher force just so you don't make your press work as hard (even these big shop presses wear out after a while). I want to say the commercial guys tend to go for somewhere around 1400-2000 psi. I'd know more specifics about that aspect if I were pressing commercial batches on a big press. It doesn't come into play as much when you're doing low-tech style at home. You can use your body weight on a flat-iron and still pull a decent yield %-wise, but something like a quick-clamp makes that 100x easier. As for a shop press, I'd probably go for a 20 ton (using probably somewhere from 7-10) with either 3x5" or 5x7" plates

Ive pressed a little and used keif, afterward if you look at it under your scope its broken empty trichs. Like a bunch of empty egg shells. 

I was just talking in chat about what I like to do with IWE and here's an example.

There's nothing wrong with the IWE I squished it out of, I just prefer the oil.

This was a pretty nice one, too. Like an applebutter or something.

20170715_210933.jpg

20170715_203951.jpg

nice pixs  thanks for showing us them

e7b57f2f0c61ad10e6d3f7c0bdf59c60.png

THE CODE OF HUMANITY:I CHOOSE TO COMMUNICATE TRUTH,I CHOOSE THE REALITY OF LIFE,I CHOOSE TO HEAL NOT HURT,I CHOOSE EDUCATION OVER IGNORANCE,I CHOOSE THE POWER OF PEACE,I CHOOSE TO LOVE GOD(OR GOOD)AND SEE GOD OR GOOD IN ALL HUMANITY,I CHOOSE TO SEEK THE SOUL IN ALL LIVING THINGS,I CHOOSE TO LINK TO THE WORLD OF INSPIRATION,I CHOOSE THE PRINCIPLE OF SHARING,I CHOOSE TO BECOME A CO-CREATOR IN LIFE AND LIVE IT MORE ABUNDANTLY.

I'm super low-tech. I pre-press with seriously an old garlic press. Then I press with a flat-iron (between 180-200) and put a quick clamp on it.

If I had more money and more material to press more often, I'd buy a cannaclamp.