• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Purple Power

My cats, Moose and Nut Nibbler, are very upset with me

Copper has had his 1st basic training class and did well. After he got his nails trimmed, ears cleaned, and teeth brushed. He got a treat. He still looks at me as if saying really?...I can have this?

5 6 2017 Copper new bone.jpg

He chewed some of the meat off and took a nap with it....sometimes cuddled up to it like a teddy bear

5 6 2017 Copper sleeping with new bone.jpg

I'm also working with Moose getting him used to Copper and working on the stay command with Copper.

5 8 2017 Copper begging from Moose.jpg

5 8 2017 Moose eating.jpg

5 8 2017 moose.jpg

This was closest Moose got...one thing I hate about digital cameras is you push the button and by the time it flashing takes pic...in this case Moose left

5 8 2017 Copper.jpg

gallery_2188_61_23224.png  

I had Copper for a little over 2 months now. When I got him, he was 56lbs and bony. You could see his spine and ribs. Now he's 65 and still gaining. His bones have sunk back into his body. He sleeps soundly. He doesn't gulp his food as much and actually chews it. He's getting better at not pulling the least during walks and when he does I stop and tell him back. Copper most of the times comes back to my side, if not I want until he does. In a week or two, I should get his DNA test results back.

5 19 2017 Copper2.jpg

He's had a few basic training classes. Every day we play fetch where I use this game as a training session. The commands that are mostly worked on is come, sit, drop, leave it, lay and look. He's getting better.

Today, he went on a long walk. I made sure the backyard was chicken proofed so I could leave them out. They were locked up later for Copper's play/training session.

5 19 2017 Copper after walk.jpg

Once he was good and tired, I let Copper back in the house to get a drink then released the chickens. I put him on a leash at first. I walked him around the chickens; they were within his range. Any time he pulled on the leash or got close to the chickens, I told him leave it and he did. He had his sniffer going. The chicks were looking for a great spot to have a dust bath. They found it next to a 45 gal smart pot (has dill and green onion). Copper was laying by them. His back towards them. The chicks got very close pecking the ground next to him then ran off...will all but one. The chick made Copper jump when she pecked his back side. No growling or wining, just some confused and lots of sniffing from what happened.  I told him to leave it, he did and came back and laid down. Sweet and Sour are still unsure of this new dog. They know he's not their old guardian. The chicks are more trusting

5 19 2017 Copper looking at dust bathing chicks.jpg

5 19 2017 Copper looking at dust bathing chicks 2 .jpg

5 19 2017 copper and hens.jpg

5 19 2017 Copper and all chickens.jpg

5 19 2015 Copper and hens.jpg

5 19 2017 Copper.jpg

Good for Copper. i want him to be relaxed around the chickens, even so far as to let them clean him or sit on him :D

Copper's test results are in.

50%    American Staffordshire Terrier

25%     Labrador Retriever

12.5%  English Springer Spaniel

12.5%  Mixed breed

I'm a bit surprised, no trace of hound. He sure sings like one

I already set up a vet appointment for him (next month), and will bring this. Don't tell him, but today he's getting a bath. He's getting a bit strong musky order.

The day my cats dread has arrived.... Moose woke me up this morning around 4:30am and wouldn't leave me alone til after 5am. He's been doing this the last few mornings.  Around 6am Nut Nibbler bugged me. So when the hens were herding the chicks out around 6:30, I gave up trying to sleep. I watered the gardens and animals, and fed my dog. I played fetch with Copper while waiting for my son to wake up and to be warm enough.

It's the day of the kitty bath. They get at least 2 a year. Nut Nibbler sometimes gets more just depends how much she plays in the litter box. They do meow from time to time, but not much now days. Nut Nibbler used to sound like she was being skinned alive. They also don't bite, scratch, or claw. After the bath, they get wrapped in a towel, we call this the kitty burrito. I pass the cat off and take the next one.

Moose ran off before I could get pictures of him looking like a drown rat, But he did give a good whack on Copper's nose (no claws and Copper acted like nothing happened) so here's some of little miss Nut Nibbler.

5 28 2017 Wet Nibbler.jpg

5 28 2017 Wet Nut Nibbler 2.jpg

5 28 2017 Wet Nut Nibbler 3.jpg

5 28 2017 Wet Nut Nibbler 4.jpg

Later I was able to get Moose to come out of his cave with kitty treats.

5 28 2017 Moose after bath 2.jpg

5 28 2017 Moose after bath 3.jpg

5 28 2017 Moose after bath 5.jpg

5 28 2017 Moose after bath 6.jpg

Nibbler a littler dryer...I gave her treats too

5 28 2017 Wet Nut Nibbler 5.jpg

After I'm deemed worthy enough to be in their presence, I dry them more and give them a good brushing. They also get treats and for dinner tuna.

Oh I'm sure they hate it when its happening. My cats cry and cry when they get their  baths. But afterword they   love it.

It all looks so peaceful there at your place. :)

Little miss Nut Nibbler was being cute while sleeping curled up to a feather

6 1 2017 Nibbler sleeping with feather.jpg

Moose was sun bathing in the window. When he went on the sill Copper was else where, So Moose had a few choice meows to the dog that sneaked up on him

6 1 2017 Moose and Copper.jpg

He looks great. I can see right off his weight has changed, I see no ribs. He looks good and healthy. Kudos Purp's

He had a vet appointment today. Mainly just to set a baseline. He's healthy and in his ideal weight :) the skin rash is from allergies, I know he has one with chicken or chicken by-products, that test cost 1500$ and I can't afford it. The vet said to keep him on his lamb and rice dog food for 3-4 months to let it clear.

Right now, Pecker and all the young hens are unruly teenagers Sweet and Sour really can't wait to get out in the morning and get away from the teens endless chatter. The teen hens are more into running across the yard to scare off the little wild birds then they strut around. I guess they think they are a bad a** or something. When they aren't doing that they are figuring there pecking order sometimes taking on the 2 top and much bigger birds. Those don't last long plus Sweet and Sour work together.

Little miss Nut Nibbler watches birds at the feeder everyday....most of the time really when she isn't pigging out or napping. Below is her favorite feeder to watch since the little morsels are closer.

6 11 2017 Nibbler watching birds 1.jpg 6 11 2017 Nibbler watching birds 2.jpg 6 11 2017 Nibbler watching birds 4.jpg

She often walks proudly after watching them

6 11 2017 Nut Nibbler.jpg

The other day, my son and I walked 2 chickens (to see pics go here.... http://freemygreenpdx.com/topic/14668-new-chicks-and-a-frustrated-cat/page-4?do=findComment&comment=128813) We were still laughing pretty hard when my son wanted to see if the chicken hardness would fit the cats. Moose got very lucky here since his head was too big. Nut Nibbler wasn't so lucky. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words. I think Nut Nibbler's expressions will tell what she was thinking. I didn't put it on her, I just took pics.

6 14 2017 Unhappy Nibbler 1.jpg

6 14 2017 Unhappy Nibbler 2.jpg

6 14 2017 Unhappy Nibbler 3.jpg

6 14 2017 Unhappy Nibbler 4.jpg

6 14 2017 Unhappy Nibbler 5.jpg

6 14 2017 Unhappy Nibbler 6.jpg

6 14 2017 Unhappy Nibbler 7.jpg

Copper tried to crawl up to her. She hissed, he jumped back and seconds later was trying to get on my lap. He's too big to be a lap dog.

6 14 2017 Unhappy Nibbler 8.jpg

Nibbler does still chases Copper from time to time. Mostly around the dining room table, her litter box (very understandable), and her tower...AKA the cat tree....she does kinda share it with Moose.

When she's sun bathing and Copper comes over to share the sun, she still makes a big deal of it with glares and growls mostly.....rarely hisses. She'll hiss if he gets too close or sniffs and/or licks her rear.  But I've caught them a few times hanging out together close. Once she sees us she runs off.

From 6/27/17

I had my camera in hand from the backyard.

6 27 2017 Copper and Nibbler 1.jpg

6 27 2017 Copper and Nibbler 2.jpg

6 27 2017 Copper and Nibbler 3.jpg

6/29/17

Copper was rolling around in dirt. He's not allowed on the furniture until he gets a bath.

6 29 Copper and Nibbler 1.jpg

6 29 Copper and Nibbler 2.jpg

and 6/30/17

6 30 2017 Copper and Nibbler 2.jpg

6 30 2017 Copper and Nibbler.jpg

Moose will tolerate Copper in the same room, but can't be close. He has no problem to start boxing and communicating what he thinks of Copper. So far no claws, just hard hits, very mean hisses and growls. Copper will turn away and go to me. this is a problem if Moose is on my lap. Moose will normally say his peace and leave. I don't think Copper understands that his very existence and/or being allowed in the house isn't approved by Moose

Copper's little doggie pool came in. They do come in smaller and bigger sizes. I was looking for one that was big for Copper to lay down in and small enough so my hens could get in and out of.

8 12 2017 water training 1.jpg

For more info on the doggie pool, click link below

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HRBGS7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This doggie pool is for Copper's water desensitizing training. I'm hoping one day, he go in it on his own and lay down on a nice hot day like my hen did yesterday and a little today already. The pictures below are from his 2nd training session. Yesterday afternoon, Copper got to smell and check out the pool. He was shaking once he realized there was water in it (not enough to cover the top of his paws). This is his normal reaction to anything that could have water in it or water related: a cup, a hose, his bowl, rain of any kind, etc. He's a 1/4 lab  a breed well known for their love of water.... I just need to break this fear of water, so this part of him can come out. Copper has the Lab's head shape and webbed feet. I tossed in some food to encourage him to get closer to the pool, but he didn't know how to get the food on the water.

Today, I taught Copper how to get the food and his ball out of the water. I started with teaching him how to get food out of the water. First with my hand under the water and slowly as he got the hang of it removed my hand.

8 12 2017 water training 2.jpg

8 12 2017 water training 3.jpg

8 12 2017 water training 4.jpg

8 12 2017 water training 7.jpg

Once he was good with this new skill, we moved on to the ball. As he gets more confidence picking the ball up from the water, I lower it a little deeper the next time. I'll also let him play a few rounds of fetch. This session was about 2 hours and they'll be another this afternoon.

8 12 2017 water training ball 1.jpg

8 12 2017 water training ball 2.jpg

When Copper steps in on his own, he gets a higher value treat and lots of 'good boy' and pets. This is the first time I haven't seen Copper nervous or shaking around water or start to shake off water when I petted him with a wet hand.

8 12 2017 water training 8.jpg

8 12 2017 water training 9.jpg

8 12 2017 water training 10.jpg

All 4 paws are in

8 12 2017 water training 12.jpg

8 12 2017 water training 13.jpg

8 12 2017 water training 14.jpg

8 12 2017 water training 15.jpg

8 12 2017 water training 16.jpg

8 12 2017 water training 21.jpg

By the end of this training session, there were lots of crumbs in the water. Hens love dog food.

8 12 2017 Feisty in pool 1.jpg

8 12 2017 Feisty in pool 2.jpg

Copper sniffing around figuring out what Feisty keeps pecking at.

8 12 2017 Feisty in pool  with Copper.jpg

This session was focused on Copper going in the pool and standing with all 4 paws in. If he does well with this afternoon's session, we'll move on to sitting in the pool. Below is Copper after his training session. He's sleep barking and kicking his feet.

8 12 2017 Copper after water training.jpg

You've gained so much trust from copper. He's gained needed confidence. This really brings smiles to my face.

:D  :)

When Copper goes outside, he goes straight to the pool. He stiffs it and wags his tail. This is great since I'm trying to get him to associate water with good stuff, not whatever bad stuff a previous owner did. I got Copper to sit a few times. It did take him a bit to obey the command,... and to sit completely. Once he does then he''ll have to sit a little longer before getting a treat.

8 12 2017 Copper sitting in pool.jpg

The hens have figured out when they see Copper in the pool there are many treats near by. Once my dog goes inside a few hens will jump in and get any treat crumb still floating. It only took them about a minute of me showing them the treats crumbs floating before some were playing hen football in the pool. Feisty so far is the only hen that will lay down in the water.

8 12 2017 Feisty sitting in pool.jpg

8 12 2017 Feisty and Barred sitting in pool 2.jpg

You've gained so much trust from copper. He's gained needed confidence. This really brings smiles to my face.

:D  :)

I've always been great with animals since I can remember. The only animal I didn't get along with according to my parents was our Siamese cat who would steal my bottle and I'd get my bottle back by hit him with a yellow plastic bat. Just one whack and the cat ran and I was happy with my bottle. Provided that the cat didn't steal my bottle, we got along fine though I'm told the cat would first make sure I didn't have a bat. Keep in mind I was under 2 years old at the time. 

What Copper needs is a confident alpha (pack leader). He doesn't only have to trust me, but he must respect me too.  I'm making him think, make choices (which treat or toy does he want, those types), along with his training. I figured his demons with water were smaller then the ones with being alone (separation anxiety). Although we are taking baby steps to address them. I view this as another stepping stone for Copper recovery to becoming the good, healthy and well rounded dog I know he can be. He's the most damaged dog, I've taken in so far.

Most of his training is done in small time frame like when the cats are being fed, Copper has to sit and stay. Only if I say sit and wait can he lay down in that spot if he chooses. As he masters the command at a curtain level (easy, medium, etc), I increase the difficulty.  An example is 'leave it', btw this is one of those commands that could save your dog's live one day. When Copper was learning leave it at the easy level, he just had to not take it. He could look at it, have his nose to it and not move away from it. He is praised every time he does the command right. He could get a treat, play a round of fetch, told he's a good boy, or just a pet. I gave a hard test to graduate from this easy level with a few t-bones. Copper was drooling like if you left the sink barely on, but he didn't take them. I removed the bones from his sight and nose for a bit. Just enough time for him to forget about them, then I took him outside and he played fetch for a bit. After he got the bones. Now in medium level, Copper has to turn and walk away from whatever the 'leave it' command is given to.

Sometimes Copper has a brain fart and does things that I guess worked for him in the past to get what he wants. He slowly learning that they don't work with me like whinning, and I'm glad to say he does them less and less and not as long when he does. He did learn if he goes in the house both Moose and Nut Nibbler will charge and chase him out of the house. He also gets a time outs if needed, my cats also do from time to time.

Yesterday, I was reenforcing for Copper that water is ok to be around, touch, or be wet.  Copper is getting better around water. He doesn't try to shake off the water every time or try to shake it off as long.  I can pick up the hose and he isn't shaking. He still hides, but isn't running to his spot and seems calmer. His tail is still down, but not between his legs now. He sometimes wags his tail.  He can grab his ball out of the water when it's fully submerged.  He'll step in his pool on his own (2 paws). This is a huge improvement. Maybe now when we're playing fetch, he'll grab the ball out of a puddle instead of looking like he needs help getting it, or looking nervous on wet ground.

Copper got his first bath since starting water desensitizing training. There is improvement :)  .

Before he started water desensitizing training, Copper would hide and shake (from fear). once on a leash, he'd pull away. Once the water touches him, he tries to shake it off asap and start to tremble throughout the entire bath. Normally, it takes two people to give him a bath. One person holds the leash while the other washes the dog.

I was able to give Copper a bath by myself today. He barely pulled away. The only time he did pull away was when I was washing his head. He did shake (fear type) a little towards the end of the bath, but a lot less intense. He did shake the water ...and at times soap off, but a lot less. No more then the average dog.  After the bath he didn't shake as long. He's been known to shake so much, he's fallen over. This time it was more like my past dogs. He also didn't roll around so much on the carpet.