• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Purple Power

My cats, Moose and Nut Nibbler, are very upset with me

My cats, Moose and Nut Nibbler, are very upset with me. They both fluffed, hissed and at last check still hiding......

Nibbler glaring at new dog.jpg

Nibbler glaring at new dog3.jpg

Nibbler glaring at new dog4.jpg

Glaring Moose.jpg

unhappy Moose.jpg

Their dinner had to be brought to them where they hide

Moose hiding in closet.jpg

Nibbler looking for Copper.jpg

So what did I do that was so upsetting?

I went to a kill shelter and saved a 3 year old lab/Plott hound. His name is Copper. He just wanted to sniff the cats......my kid thinks it'll take the cats months before they forgive me. This is Nibbler's 1st time 'welcoming' a dog to the family. Moose will probably calm down 1st since he's done this before.

Copper 1st pic.jpg

He's a little under weight, learning how to walk on a leash and basic commands.  He loves fetch. He rides well during car rides. He'll look at the chicks when the make noise. when he first met them he whimpered a little and I told him no since then only watches them when very noisy like when the got a snail. He did the same with the hens. I took him to the vet today. He's on some antibiotics for skin rash on belly that resolving and what looks like an older bite that's starting to fester a little. Also started him on heartworm meds. After I brought him to his new home, I walked him around the property. he marked every bush, tree, sign and post. Then I gave him a flea bath. He's not to fawn of water. but he did like the dog treats that came after.

Copper get 1st treat.jpg

Copper with treats.jpg

Copper with treat.jpg

I'm putting betadine ointment on his wounds..its povidone-iodine, 10% that's what's on his muzzle

Copper 1st begging for food hotdogs.jpg

Copper 1st begging for food hotdogs2.jpg

I always keep bones in the freezer for making broth, I had my son thaw 1. I just gave him a bone his eyes got huge like he couldn't believe it. After telling him a few times its his...he's happily chewing on it

Copper's 1st bone.jpg

gallery_2188_61_23224.png  

:b0108::bigemo_harabe_net-163: I can see why they don't like you.

Well how sweet are you saving a shelter. He is going too fit right in at the farm.  Now you have a big dog for the yard to check things out for you. Keep everyone else away. I can't wait too read how this turns out.  :sFun_crazypilot:

Copper played fetch for a little over an hour. He's got a drink after getting in and is lying down. He seems to fight naps. I think this will be temporary once he relies he's found his forever home. He only seem just to look at the hens. no wining, growling or aggressive behavior. The hens are getting used to a new dog and are locked up in their area with their coop open. He does well with the chicks in the house. He only seems to be interested in sniffing them.

The cats are both hiding in my son's room. Nibbler is letting Moose be in her territory. When I take the dog out, my son shows the cats he's out and takes them to the litter box. They'll smell stuff but are quickly back to the cat zone. think it'll be least a week til the cats start venture out in dog territory.

Copper is the 2nd dog I've adopted from the pound/kill shelter. He'd been there over 3 months. My 1st dog was the next dog to be put down if not adopted that day. She was a Boston terrier mix. She was 5 years and died after a fun active life of 24 years old. When I get a pet, it's for their life. Only once has a pet been returned in a 30+ year span of saving cats and dogs. I starting recusing cats at a young age. In that case, they were not going to a kill shelter and that animal grabbed my cat, Katie, who was on a 8 foot fence ripping her claws out. All of them! both front and back were stuck in the fence for years after. I was sure one of my best hunting cats had been declawed in the worst way. They grew back about 6 months after. After ever litter box visit, I cleaned each toe and miss claw. Katie was a trooper. She knew it hurt, but also knew I wouldn't be doing that if it wasn't for her own good.  That dog was supposedly good with cats. As soon as I got the bleeding stopped and wounds cleaned on Katie, that dog was returned asap. I got my last dog as a pup shortly after. I made sure Katie was bigger. My late dog was 8 weeks old.

Copper does not like getting wet. It's raining, he got about 1/2 way out the door and stopped...shake...thinking do I really want to be out here... quickly walk to his spots with lots of quick stops/shakes along the way and does his business quickly. no time to sniff around.....lots of shaking. It doesn't look like he got the lab's love of water. I've been reading on the Plott Hound and Copper has a lot of traits. These hounds are known escape artist. They are known to dig 3 feet under the fence and go out exploring. That is the very reason Copper ended up in the pound. Multiple sites said this breed must be on a leash when outside when not fence and it's a good idea to watch him.  They are cold scent hounds and like other hounds once they catch a scent they follow it.  After the fence line is replaced, I'll be adding concrete and some barriers.

Nibbler came out of her hiding spot for a few hours. At first very fluffed on her cat tree. No growls or hissing. This is improvement from yesterday.

3 18 2017 Fluffy Nibbler.jpg

See the blue in the background? that's Copper's harness.

fluffy Nibbles looking at Copper.jpg

Copper was given a bone after he looked at her and had no reaction.

3 18 2017 Copper with bone.jpg

Moose was on the cat tree staring at Copper when my son dropped a kitty bowl. Moose jumped 3 feet and fluffed. Copper got up quickly ignoring the fluffy hissing Moose and ran to the kitchen. I petted Moose telling him he's good boy and it's ok. I haven't seen him out here since that happened.

3 18 2017 Copper in bed.jpg

3 18 2017 Copper with toys2.jpg

3 18 2017 Copper with toys.jpg

I Imagine you have your hands full. :) Does he know his name? I mean when he gets out is he going to come back? I like that harness you have on him.

Copper does know his name until he finds a scent. From what I've read this is normal for hounds. He's a sound sleeper. sometimes he sleep sniffs and moves his feet....he also snores, sometimes scaring a very cautious cat trying to sniff him. when that happens Copper looks around for a sec before he's back to snoring meanwhile the cat has fluffed and ran.  I feed him 3x a day, the morning and evening in his bowl, the mid-day is used when training. One of my fence line is down, so I can't do off-leash training or play fetch for now. The fence line fell to a chain saw yesterday. I kept the posts and will reuse them as a boarder. Weather permitting, the fence should be put up today.

When I got Copper he barely knew 'sit', pulled on the leash, and mostly came to his name. Now 4 days later, he sits 90% of the time. he's learning lay, stay (so far 1 full minute). When he sees my neighbor's dog (doesn't like other dogs) Copper does pull the leash, sings the high pitch hound way and points at her. He started doing this when she barked at him a couple nights ago. When he's looking out the window he points at little dogs mostly. So far no accidents in the house or chewing anything he shouldn't. He did chew up 4....working on 5 and 6 tennis balls. Glad he has a Kong ball, he loves it.  He leaves the chicks alone. the only time he looks at them is when I changing their water/food or getting them out to the coop (I'll try to take pics of them today and update the thread along with my grow)

My cats are starting to come out of their hiding spots from time to time. So far, mostly Nibbler. She gets on top of her cat tree and watches/stares at Copper. the picture are the cats in their hiding spots

3 21 2017 Nibbler in hiding spot.jpg

3 21 2017 Moose in hiding spot.jpg

I don't think they've relied that Copper doesn't react to them fluffing up, growling or hissing. When they walk away, Copper just watches and keeps his distance. However when they ran, he can't resist but chase them.

When Copper goes to sleep he starts in a ball

3 20 2017 Copper in bed.jpg

3 20 2017 Copper sleeping.jpg

before long he's on his back snoring, kicking feet and sleep sniffing....he just sleep barked...my last dog would sleep bark just a lot louder. A few times the cats have been getting really close to him when he a sleep and try to sniff him. When Copper starts reacting to his dream and freaks the cats out. Last time Nibbler attempted he snored loud. my fence line is being replaced, so now have 1 fence line missing, sorry Copper no fetch for now, hoping it will be done by tomorrow

The new fence is up :)

Copper enjoyed some off leash time playing fetch. After he was fairly tired, I took him to the pet store. I want to see what he likes...his nose was just going in over drive. He sniffed every thing. I did get did him large chew treat (unpackaged)  It's less then a 5 minute drive back home, Copper finished it. When we got in the house he ran around doing a happy dance with each toy/treat he got....No my cats were not amused when he showed them being all bouncy. He got a few hisses but was so happy he didn't either notice or care. Copper is chewing on a rawhide bone he picked right now. He's been working on it for 5-10 minutes and already has the knot chewed.

3 22 2017 Copper.jpg

I just signed Copper up for basic training classes, 6 week course. He starts in about a month. If I like the course, I may enroll him in intermediate and advanced.  I also got him his name tag to put on his collar.

I'm looking into get a DNA test on him. The pound said he was a Chocolate lab/Plott hound. I'm not seeing any chocolate lab traits in him physically or behavior. My sister's late dog was a lab mix (dumb as h, but did look and act like a lab), lots of my neighbors have labs or mixes. My next door neighbor has a choc lab purebred. I do see lots of hound traits. Not sure where the not liking to get wet comes from. I think this will help not only with his training, but with health related stuff too. From what I've read so far they cost $60 up.....think the most expressive one I found was 200. I'm thinking of going with a swap test.  If anyone has had tested their dog(s), what brand did you use? how accurate to you think it was? what did you like/dislike? I open to opinions here.

I've been observing Copper for week. He does, and it's very understandable, have separation anxiety when he knows I leave. Today, I had my son take him to the backyard to do his business while I left. He said Copper looked around for me then took a nap on my bed. Copper was also calmer when I got home (no shaking rear and tail or bouncy). Normally before I leave, I play fetch with him up to an hour. He sees me go to my car when putting my stuff in then I come back for a bit. This helps some, but he's still anxious.  Poor Copper has been let down at least twice....maybe more, and I am not going to be added to that list. I see a great dog with some damage that can be fixed with love, respect, and of course training.

Copper also has what I call selective deafness. I know he hears and understands me, but when he's distracted or doesn't want to do something like go out cause its raining there's a higher chance he doesn't obey. If I have treats with me, he obeys 90% of the time. Some things he's still learning like not standing on the window sill, I know its temping being roughly a foot from the floor. He's more interested in whatever he's sniffing or when he sees little dogs or birds (robins, sparrows, etc.)or doesn't want to get wet. Copper points at little dog and sometimes wild birds. I think this may be a hunting dog instinct in him.

If he refuses to go outside with my command, I put him on a leash and take him out. I think he's starting to figure out that I'm the one who makes the rules/pack leader, but there is some resistant....or could be trust issues. When Considering at least 2 previous owners with being in the pound a few times for months in between and no clue if they took the time to train him or what method(s) they used, it does make since. I know part of the trick to to being pack leader is being respected.  If on a leash he will pull, I stop and don't continue until he stops pulling and calmly comes back to me either standing or sitting next to me. He's getting better provided he doesn't see or smell something of interest. He will bark/whine when not getting his way, and that needs correcting.

Last night and this morning Nibbler has been within a foot of Copper while laying down and awake. He let the very curious and cautious Nibbler smell him and slowly walk away unfluffed this time. Copper stayed laid down and watched her. I think he's learning the cats are off limits, and at least Nibbler is learning to walk not run around Copper. Moose still rarely leaves the cat zone or his cave. Moose still fluffs, growls, and hisses. Unlike Nibbler, Moose has had some bad experiences with one dog (not my late dog unless getting a long sniff followed by a wet lick counts). Moose teased a large dog thinking a screen door would protect him.  Other then going to the littler box, he peers around the corner while we're preparing their food.  I think after the cats get used to the idea that a dog is in their house, they should get along fine. I'm hoping when Nibbler starts her frisk attacks again Copper doesn't chase her. I take Copper over to look at the hen and chicks, he glaces then not interested. With a wire cage between them, we let Copper smell the hens. The hens are getting used to new dog and do not trust him yet. Sweet and Sour could take naps on or by, pick threw or scratch threw my late dog's fur. They also would ride him or walk under him. They still miss their old guardian.

Loving this story!  I love animals more then people I think, but don't have a pet right now.  Lost my last 2 cats to cancer, and my Border Collie to old age, and had to put him down at 14 when arthritis was attacking his spine...it was heart-breaking.  Not sure I have the patience, and do like the freedom of not having one.  So, I will just live vicariously through your story.  Glad to see your kitties coming around a bit!!

Copper has learned not to mess with the cats or go in the cat zone area even with the door open. He's learned to sit and stay while I'm getting him his food and waits the ok to go eat. He tends to beg from my son more then me. I tell him go lay down. If I give him anything its after I'm done eating and the cats get 1st dibs. My son will give him food however it has hot sauce on it. Copper is getting better of staying out of the kitchen when I'm cooking. He's learning 'drop it' and 'leave it' when playing fetch. His basic training class starts in 2 weeks. He still has separation anxiety, and I'm hoping the trainer can help me resolving this. Right now, Sweet and Sour are enjoying the yard. when the time comes for Copper to be with the hens, he'll be on a leash and be muzzled at first. Once I'm sure he won't attack or kill my hens, I'll still be out with them and Copper will be off leash. He has to prove it to me he won't hurt my hens before the muzzle is removed. My hens have many jobs to do: weed/pest control and lay eggs. Copper's job is to protect everyone and the property...yes that includes the hens and the cats.

Moose is slowly starting to come out more...though usually at dinner time or being brought out for a bit. Last week, I took the blanket that Copper sleeps on and moved it to to Moose's cave. Moose smelled it, his bowl was sitting on it while he ate and he's even laid on it. I've just removed it from Moose and put it on my bed where Copper sleeps.

Nibbler has learned that Copper will turn away and leave the area once she hisses at him. This may not be a good thing cause she has chased Copper to and out the back door while hissing. She has a bull whip type of hiss.  She stayed inside and was very proud of herself. Moose normally leaves once he hisses, so he hasn't seen or learned this. So, I have 1 cat that will chase my dog and my dog and other cat run from each other. I know it could be worse, but its still weird. Nibbler will sit of Copper's food container meowing at him. I think she's telling him that she is above him in the pecking order......to put it nicely. She doesn't move until she hears her bowl being put in her feeding spot and being called then I feed Copper.

Copper is still trying to make friends with Nibbler. We all know how cats love to sun bath, Copper like to sun bath too. He tries to share the sun spot from the back door with Nibbler. She, so far is not impressed. She hisses and Copper whose laying down puts his head down. Nibbler will walk off, pout/glare at Copper and go to the other door. Copper will try again. He is trying. he tries to look as small as possible and wags his tail low. sometimes when he turns away, his tail accidentally slaps Nibbler across the face/head

4 14 2017 Copper and Nibbler sun bathing.jpg

Nibbler left shortly after

4 11 2017 Copper and raw hide2.jpg

4 11 2017 Copper and raw hide.jpg

Its been such a short time and Copper has really learned a bunch of cool things. I think you really got lucky and saved a great dog. One willing to learn and listen. I'm so happy for your whole family. I like that photo of the two together there in the Sun,

You're taking all the proper steps to ensure everyone's safety.

Moose came out a few times today and explored the living room. We moved the cat tree by the window. The first few times was with treats and a plate. By the end of the day Moose was by the living room with Copper in the living room. No hissing or fluffing. He even licked the plate in front of Copper.

4 15 2017 Moose.jpg

4 15 2017 Moose 2.jpg

4 15 2017 Moose licking plate.jpg

We had an oops happening in the backyard today. The hens were in the veggie garden area while Copper was out in the backyard. Sour got out while we were busy in the house. I happen to look at the backyard and saw her by the patio, scratching and eating. She was having a great time. Copper did run past her, but left her alone. We grabbed Sour, clipped her wings and put her back. Then we clipped Sweet's wings. Sweet and Sour were around my late dog and know don't run. it didn't matter with Chakotay, all he would do was run over, sniff, steal any food, and give the hen(s) a kiss.   So I guess so far the training is working. :)  He does get excited still when the chicks try to fly, jump around, run. Next time they go out, we'll bee clipping the wings.

Copper got a treat. I don't think he knew raw hides were made this big. It took a long time for his tail to stop wagging and doing the happy dance. Nibbler was peering around the corner when I gave it to him and she gave me quite the glare. When I got the raw hide for Copper, I also got some cat treats.

4 15 2017 Copper with big rawhide 2.jpg

4 15 2017 Copper with big rawhide.jpg

4 15 2017 Copper with big rawhide 4.jpg

4 15 2017 Copper with big rawhide 9.jpg

4 15 2017 Copper with big rawhide 8.jpg

4 15 2017 Copper with big rawhide 6.jpg

He's still trying to figure out how to walk around without hitting stuff. Today, he's been carrying it around and finishing his smaller rawhide that he buried in his bed under pillows.

I've worried about those rawhide chews as a possible choking hazard, and then I watched a program on how they are made.

The hides are soaked in sodium sulfide to remove the hair, then treated with hydrogen peroxide to whiten.  When tested there

have been trace amounts of arsenic and formaldehyde found....just a heads up

Ham hock's are pretty cheap and last a week, then you  just boil it let it cool and its good for another. I use to buy "Chunk" a few a month, He really loved them. I'm sorta of worried about what Suzy's said about those chemicals. :/

I'm not too worried about giving my dog raw hides. I do give him other stuff like cow hoof, bones, and dog biscuits.....I haven't tried pig or cow ears yet. When I took him to the pet store, I let him pick his treats, so I know what he likes. Copper is the only dog that I've had that likes regular dog biscuits.  Chakotay only liked the special ones I made for him.

My 1st and 2nd dog loved to chew on raw hides. They both made it to a old age for their breeds. My 1st dog, Tinker, was a Boston terrier mix and made it to 24 years old and she always was chewing on a raw hide or something you didn't want her chew on like your blanket. My 2nd dog, Chakotay was 15 years old. He was a Alaskan husky x Alaskan malamute x Australian shepherd mix. He loved rawhide too. I'd give them a bone here and there too. My sister's dog was 17 or 18 years and liked raw hides more then real bones. She was a very stupid lab mix. My Brother's dogs also had a long life even though I admit probably a very rough one. All of them got raw hides.

The cat like where their cat tree was moved to ( by a window) Nibbler hangs out on it more and when not staring at the dog, she's looking for birds and cats outside. She enjoys her morning sun bath spot more since the dog can't bug her,...as much.  Nibbler has started to have frisk attacks again. Copper is learning to leave her be. He learned the hard way and Nibbler got his ear good....I've been putting neosporin on it.

Moose has been coming out more...a few times a day. Not every times food is out, so this is improvement.

4 18 2017 Moose on cat tree.jpg

4 18 2017 Nibbler.jpg

Moose made some huge improvement this last week. He's been coming out to enjoy lap time even with Copper in the room. A couple days ago, Copper's crate came. The final straw to get it was he's chewing more stuff up every time he's left alone. More destructive. With his past owners, they keep him up to a month then they return him to the pound. then he's at the pound for months and repeat. I've had him for over a month, I've been working training and investing in him.  My curtain was the last victim. I can sew it, but one of them will never fit these windows again...... also had to fix the bent rod. He lays, sleeps, and chews he's bones and raw hide in it. I leave it open most of the time. I close it when I leave or need him out of the way like when mopping floor and letting it dry. I already have to deal with Nibbler's operation: paw print. She waits for me to finish mopping then walks across the floor. She's sit proudly by her dried paw prints. Today, I shut/locked it and did some errands. It was nice that nothing was shredded....though that big raw hide he got a while back was shorter.

I took some pictures of the cats seeing Copper in the crate. This some how boosted Moose's confidence. He's out more now. While Copper was out doing his business, we let Moose check out Copper's crate and stuff. Moose was purring loud while checking it out.

4 25 2017 Moose on Coppers bed 1.jpg

4 25 2017 Moose on Coppers bed 2.jpg

4 25 2017 Moose on Coppers bed 3.jpg

A good Moose get treats

4 25 2017 Moose on Coppers bed getting treats.jpg

The crate also makes a great time out spot for Nibbler when she's sassing Copper when he's outside. She likes to swat, hiss...be a bad a$s when there's a screen or glass door between them. She hasn't done that since her 1st time out so far. She's learned when she hisses, Copper turns away and leaves the area...sometimes running. She's chased him out of the house a few times. The screens are being redone now and getting the pet screen installed in them. I need something tougher, my hens keep putting holes in them while pecking off flies, but Copper did go threw one.

Note for pics, I removed all pictures from wall and hid my son's face....having a bag on his head would of scared Moose

4 25 2017 Cats seeing Copper in crate.jpg

4 25 2017 Moose on cat tree.jpg

Today, Copper was suppose to have his 1st basic training class, but the trainer was sick. would of been nice to been called, so I didn't waste the gas. Copper did enjoy the car ride though and is learning to sit or lay down. no jumping up on the back of the seats.  I did order a DNA test for Copper and tomorrow he gets another car ride, he's going to get his nails trimmed, ears cleaned/flushed, and teeth brushed. I think once he's trained, I'll be able to do that. He doesn't like his ears, feet or tail messed with. He's gaining weight and I think he's close to his idle weight, just needs his chest to fill out.

4 26 2014 Copper sleeping.jpg