• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

KarrMcDebt

What am I doing wrong???

We were discussing the current problem....here's the path of the conversation.

We know Karr has had probs like this before...water was the culprit and switching to store bought water seemed to help @first....then the same thing started happening again. Wh@ seems to be a gradual lockout of nutrients much the same as the pictures above.

We went over the usual, temp-ph-ec/ppm things before and eliminated them as causes.

• IammuA
    nute lockout? the post of pics ya put up looks like nute lockout
  • KarrMcDebt
    KK. I have two votes for too much water, and one for lockout. I will check the pH, but I'm using filtered water
  • IammuA
    too much water and nute lockout are essentially the same thing, no?
  •  
    plants have restricted nute uptake
  • 8:30 AM
  • KarrMcDebt
    makes sense
  • IammuA
    overwatering or lack of O2 usually shows as a convex wilting of leaf, no?
  • KarrMcDebt
    gotta get some more pots then I'll transplant them into 1gal, 3gal or 5gal
  • IammuA
    brb
  • KarrMcDebt
    I can never remember, have to look it up every time.
  •  
    KK
  • IammuA
    same here
  •  
    is why I keep links to the OG grow FAQ on hand hehehe
  •  
    if it was waterlogged soil ya might be able to help em with an H2O2 waterinf, get some O2 into em
  • 8:40 AM
  • KarrMcDebt
    cool
  • IammuA
    fith
  •  
    another possible culprit would be soil bacteria/mold inhibiting nute uptake
  •  
    does the soil smell like ammonia?
  • KarrMcDebt
    I have been keeping them wet.
  •  
    no
  • IammuA
    are you near power transmission lines?
  •  
    fracking in your area?
  • KarrMcDebt
    nope
  • IammuA
    just saw the 'strains Ive tried' thread EK put up....I only tried about 5 of em
  • 8:45 AM
  • KarrMcDebt
    LOL
  •  
    I'll have to sit down and try and remember them all.
  • IammuA
    are the plants growing into the deficiencies or growing out of the?
  •  
    them?
  • 8:50 AM
  • KarrMcDebt
    grew out and seem to be going back into
  • IammuA
    for how long?
  •  
    could it be soil bacteria making nutes unaccessable
  •  
    th@ might explain the cyclic nature of it
  • KarrMcDebt
    well, we figured it was chlorine and cold. so I moved them to a warm space with lots of CO and CO2
  • IammuA
    H2O2 flush one and leave the other.....compare over a week or so
  • KarrMcDebt
    they came back out of it, now seem to be slipping again.
  •  
    that is a good idea
  • IammuA
    warmpth woulda given bacteria a kickstart, no?
  •  
    this might also explain the cyclic fashion of it
  • KarrMcDebt
    It might
  •  
    and is not something I had considered
  • IammuA
    cold, bad water, nute lockout, warmer, good water, thriving, warm enough for bacteria to increase, good water = nute lockout again
  •  
    still might need H2O2 or boiling the clean water to prevent it helping bad bacteria
  • 8:55 AM
  • KarrMcDebt
    I'll play with it and let you know.
  • IammuA
    when moving a plant from cooler to warmer, unless you are growing bioactively, suggest a rinse with H2O2 so it gets the rootsystems and soil clean so warmer temps wont increase bad bacteria
  •  
    no probs
  •  
    do you have any other type of potplants and do they get the same effect?
  •  
    consider for a moment its NOT soil and NOT water...wh@ environmental things might it be?
  •  
    offgassing from something plastic?
  •  
    seen similar results a few years ago when those cheap chinese growtents wer offgassing and destroying harvests
  •  
    could the redcups be offgassing?
  • 9:00 AM
  • KarrMcDebt
    well....
  •  
    that was quite a reaction when I put the H2O2 into the water.
  • IammuA
    snaps and crackles?
  •  
    if there was an auditory or visible reaction this indicates SOMETHING in the water reacting with H2O2
  •  
    OR you are using nazi rocket grade jet fuel!
  • KarrMcDebt
    Nahh, we can't get that strong here.
  •  
    wait, let me take that back the bottle says 29%
  • IammuA
    is industrial grade
  • 9:05 AM
  • KarrMcDebt
    Yeah, just went and added a bit of water so I don't liquify everything.
  • IammuA
    3% and 6% are the common grades....29%-33% are commercial/industrial grade
  •  
    how much do ya know of H2O2?
  • KarrMcDebt
    it was bought at a hydro store.
  •  
    I thought it was only 15%
  • IammuA
    they sold ya topshelf stuff
  •  

muA

Edited by IammuA

Here's what I would do I would brew a casting and compost tea, keeping the tea at the same temp as the water the plants get add 1 to 2 tbs per gallon of tea of unsulphered molasses right before I water it in to promote good bacteria growth at that temp range. You gotta get the bacteria population up to eat the algae plugging off the roots. H202 kills it but the algae are dead and still everywhere they were attached.

I've seen this same thing when i've overwatered or had poorly draining soil before, as well once when I got the bright idea to try and grow a plant out the top of my fish aquarium...  Algae developed on the roots and started seeing major yellowing foliage.  Aquarium plant ended up dying.  Always assumed it was because the algae was blocking nute uptake of the plant roots.

If everything else is fine (ph/ppm/temp/etc) then I would suspect too much love (overwatering) and not enough drainage.  how often are you watering?  How "dry" do you let the plants get before watering again?   

As for H2O2, It can easily be overdone and has no distinction between good stuff to kill and bad stuff to kill.  It reacts with all organic material.  That said, if you do attempt it, start at a low percentage solution.  Here is the article I used to reference when I was dealing with H2O2.  Gives dilution for different uses.  I've used H2O2 for years between cuttings in my aero-cloners.  Couple glugs in the water, kick the pump on for a day or two, rinse / repeat has kept my cloners all tidy and not gooey/sludgy.  

You say Geek like it's a bad thing???

GrowGeekBanner1.jpg

Nice link GrowGeek :puffpuffpass:

I was suggesting H2O2 because it not just kills the bacteria etc but also because it does have the O2 to add to the soil.

Your advice of a bacterial tea to tip the balance back is a good one.

Methinks this is a case of a bit too much waterlogging and the seedlings roots were inhibited from doing much due to the anaerobic condition of the soil.

muA

I just looked at the pics again.  If those girls are in standing water, that's quite possibly the problem.  My rule has always been to remove any standing water after 15 minutes.  If you are bottom feeding, the plants should suck up as much as they are able to within 15 minutes.  If you top feed, dump the saucer.

muA, I'm "blaming" redmud Just%20Kidding.giffor the tea advise (although I agree 110%).  Just like when a person takes a round of antibiotics, they should follow up with a good probiotic to get all the good bugs back in play as quick as possible!

I melted a full batch of hydro girls once using too much H2O2.  I was attempting to raise the O2 levels, and WAY overdid it.  I'm trying to find the pictures from the plants, but I'm failing at locating that cold storage hard drive.  I'm still lookin' though!  I did find my favorite guitar tuner in the process...  So that's a win!  bahahahaha

GrowGeekBanner1.jpg

Those type deficiencies are usually associated with nute lockout, no?

My best guess is the roots were waterlogged, soil got anaerobic and problems ensued.

First step: flush the medium with ph'ed water with some H2O2 [just enough] to sterilize the medium, then water if with 1/4 str nutes and let it dry some before watering again.

muA

My best guess is the roots were waterlogged, soil got anaerobic and problems ensued.

First step: flush the medium with ph'ed water with some H2O2 [just enough] to sterilize the medium, then water if with 1/4 str nutes and let it dry some before watering again.

muA

Dit-toe!

GrowGeekBanner1.jpg