• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Purple Power

New chicks,...... and a frustrated cat

I just dropped Road Runner off at the vet. The vet told me the hard core thing I removed was good since it was on the bottom of the foot. The new one that's growing is on the side and should be easy to remove. This will help with her walking normal. I let her know I removed Road Runner from her nest before she laid her egg to get her there and she has been complaining about that, and they may get an chocolate egg. The vet said that has happened before. Road Runner will be knocked out with gas with a mask. The vet said they work better with chickens vs ducks cause of the length of the peak/bill. She also said this has been a bad year with bumblefoot for chickens and ducks

I'll be picking her up in a couple hours.

gallery_2188_61_23224.png  

Classy, sassy, and a bit of a smart assy

3 hours ago, Purple Power said:

I just dropped Road Runner off at the vet. The vet told me the hard core thing I removed was good since it was on the bottom of the foot. The new one that's growing is on the side and should be easy to remove. This will help with her walking normal. I let her know I removed Road Runner from her nest before she laid her egg to get her there and she has been complaining about that, and they may get an chocolate egg. The vet said that has happened before. Road Runner will be knocked out with gas with a mask. The vet said they work better with chickens vs ducks cause of the length of the peak/bill. She also said this has been a bad year with bumblefoot for chickens and ducks

I'll be picking her up in a couple hours.

I so hope she is alright. I miss her being happy. 

I picked up Road Runner from the vet. It cost me $50.00 for her surgery.  The vet said Road Runner did very well, and laid an egg so there was lots of clucking and excitement in the back. They put the egg in a biohazard bag.

9 13 2018 Road Runner egg 1b.jpg

9 13 2018 Road Runner egg 1a.jpg

They went in deep to clean everything out and there was a bleeder (those are rare). Road Runner has a couple stitches in her foot on the side. I'm hoping her stomping doesn't rip/pull them out.

9 13 2018 Road Runner foot 1.jpg

9 13 2018 Road Runner foot 1a.jpg

9 13 2018 Road Runner foot 1b.jpg

9 13 2018 Road Runner foot 1c.jpg

She'll need to be inside for a few days. My dog is going to be confused since his kennel is being used for Road Runner. I hope Nut Nibbler doesn't give my dog a bad time at night while I'm sleeping. Road Runner is doing alright, but gets a bit wobbly at times mostly when cleaning feathers. After her foot heals, she should be her normal happy self tormenting the young hens. Right now she has her hen feed, 1/2 of a cuke, some chocolate tomatoes, bread and dry oatmeal. I'm hoping her foot heals up fast, and no more pills after she's finished with this last round. 

9 13 2018 Road Runner 1.jpg

9 13 2018 Road Runner 1a.jpg

9 13 2018 Road Runner 1b.jpg

9 13 2018 Road Runner 1c.jpg

Oh her foot looks so much better, I too would keep her penned up for a while, i would not want her to get that dirty. Hopefully, it scabs up really quickly and she can rejoin her flock. Sure don't want her doing anything to break that open here in the next few days. 

best

Besides the extra treats, Road Runner loves watching tv. She starts talking loud when the tv is turned off and won't settle down for about 5 minutes. Yesterday, I wrapped up her foot and took her to the front yard. She found a large snail and countless slugs among the bugs she found. She ate and scratched the lawn, basically had a good time. She walked in the front door after she was done and scared Moose by jumping with lots of wing flapping on the couch. Moose left the fluffy and quick, and didn't return for at least an hour. Then she walked over to her pen where Nut Nibbler was checking it out. Nibbler started walking backwards while my hen was at the door. Once Road Runner entered, she started pecking my cat. Poor Nut Nibbler was trapped in the corner with an unhappy hen defending her turf. I tossed in some bird seed and I grabbed my cat while Road Runner was pecking away at the bird seed (a highly praised treat).

4 hours ago, EDDIEKIRK said:

Roadrunner updates? 🐔

Her foot is still swollen, but healing. When feeling her foot there aren't any hard lumps. I have seen her run around and even do the hen football thing for treats.

21 minutes ago, Purple Power said:

Her foot is still swollen

That is worrying. Any chance you can add heat to her foot once or twice a day. Like, heat some water up and then use a cloth, dip it in the warm to hot water and wring it out real good (be sure, not hot to your touch) and place directly on the wound? Do this until your pot of water is cooled off. I use this soaking method on the kids or whenever I get a spider bite or bug bite and it takes the swelling down right after the treatment. Now it will swell up again, but after a few days, that heat can kill the poisons building up. 

Thoughts? It is a lot of extra work.  Is it still really red? sorry to bother you. 🐔

16 hours ago, EDDIEKIRK said:

That is worrying. Any chance you can add heat to her foot once or twice a day. Like, heat some water up and then use a cloth, dip it in the warm to hot water and wring it out real good (be sure, not hot to your touch) and place directly on the wound? Do this until your pot of water is cooled off. I use this soaking method on the kids or whenever I get a spider bite or bug bite and it takes the swelling down right after the treatment. Now it will swell up again, but after a few days, that heat can kill the poisons building up. 

Thoughts? It is a lot of extra work.  Is it still really red? sorry to bother you. 🐔

Her foot is normal colored, just swollen. There isn't a rotten smell either. Keep in mind when the vet went into her foot, she had to go all the way to the ankle area (just below) to clear out the infection. That's a lot of healing Road Runner has to do. She acts normal with eating, laying eggs, foraging and pecking order. In fact Road Runner just ran across the yard chasing one of my young hens. It might have something to do withe sun flower head I just cut off.  I do soak her foot in warm water and put neosporin on it. She gets her pills and I check her foot daily. I do this in late afternoon to just before she goes to bed at night