Purple Power

New chicks,...... and a frustrated cat

What a great story! So the 2 groups sleep separately tonight, and then in the morning your going to let the chicks out first? Yeah? Would that not help show the other hens that they need to wait? IDK, you sure take great photos and keep neat journals.

27 minutes ago, EDDIEKIRK said:

What a great story! So the 2 groups sleep separately tonight, and then in the morning your going to let the chicks out first? Yeah? Would that not help show the other hens that they need to wait? IDK, you sure take great photos and keep neat journals.

I grabbed Road Runner and let the hens go to bed. In the next hour, I'll slip the teens in the coop. In the Morning when the hens wake up they'll be were you here when I went to sleep. they do their morning bonding of eating and drinking. Tomorrow late Morning, I'll take Road Runner to the nest box when I release her back into the flock. She should accept the chicks then since the flock should behave as they have accepted them in.  Road Runner must obey the top hens.

gallery_2188_61_23224.png  

Classy, sassy, and a bit of a smart assy

The chicks had their first night in the coop. In the morning they were the last to leave though some got lost on how to get out somehow. They did figure it out when a hen who wanted peace & quiet while laying her egg kicked all the chicks out. Teen chicks are very talkative. When Road Runner was released, she attacked the chicks then a fluffy Sour attacked her. Sour jumped around flapping her wings and kicking her legs as she approached then pulled some feathers out from Road Runner. I'm hoping she got the message.

It's nice not having chicks in the house even if its short lived

I'm starting to think Butterball may be a boy based on the feathers. For some reason every time a name a chick butterball, it turns out to be a boy. I'll be getting another barred rock chick end of the month and will add a buff orpington to the list

I'll be making an update with pics soon.

18 hours ago, Purple Power said:

I'm starting to think Butterball may be a boy based on the feathers.

Is not Sour one of the older 'hen's'? How could that slip by?

On 5/18/2018 at 1:56 PM, EDDIEKIRK said:

Is not Sour one of the older 'hen's'? How could that slip by?

Sweet & Sour are my oldest hens at 4 years old. They are out of their prime for laying.

below are few pics of the hens n chicks

5 15 2018 Budders 1.jpg

5 15 2018 chicks 1.jpg

5 15 2018 chicks 1a.jpg

5 15 2018 chicks 1b.jpg

5 15 2018 chicks 1c.jpg

5 15 2018 chicks 1d.jpg

5 15 2018 chicks 1e.jpg

5 15 2018 chicks 1f.jpg

5 15 2018 chicks 1k.jpg

5 15 2018 chicks 1l.jpg

5 15 2018 Chicks 1m.jpg

5 15 2018 chicks 1n.jpg

5 15 2018 chicks 1o.jpg

5 15 2018 chicks 1p.jpg

5 15 2018 chicks 1r.jpg

5 15 2018 Chicks in puddle 1.jpg

5 20 2018 Road Runner 1.jpg

Cuckoo 1.jpg

The chicks first time in the compost area

5 20 2018 Chicks 1st time in compost area 1.jpg

5 20 2018 Chicks 1st time in compost area 1a.jpg

5 20 2018 Chicks 1st time in compost area 1b.jpg

5 20 2018 Chicks 1st time in compost area 1c.jpg

5 20 2018 Chicks 1st time in compost area 1d.jpg

5 20 2018 Chicks 1st time in compost area 1e.jpg

5 20 2018 Chicks 1st time in compost area 1f.jpg

5 20 2018 Chicks 1st time in compost area 1g.jpg

5 20 2018 Chicks 1st time in compost area 1h.jpg

5 20 2018 Chicks 1st time in compost area 1i.jpg

5 20 2018 Chicks 1st time in compost area 1j.jpg

5 20 2018 Chicks 1st time in compost area 1k.jpg

5 20 2018 Chicks 1st time in compost area 1l.jpg

5 20 2018 Feisty in compost area 1.jpg

5 20 2018 Feisty in compost area 1a.jpg

There is a food treat that is well know to make chickens go nuts. What is it?

It's CORN on the cob

8 8 2017 corn 1.jpg

My teen chicks have been introduced to hen scratch which is cracked corn and wheat. They were introduced to corn on the cob last night. Like with anything new they looked at it from a distance then got a little closer and stared at it.

5 21 2018 Chicks 1st time corn on cob 1.jpg

5 21 2018 Chicks 1st time corn on cob 1a.jpg

5 21 2018 Chicks 1st time corn on cob 1b.jpg

5 21 2018 Chicks 1st time corn on cob 1c.jpg

5 21 2018 Chicks 1st time corn on cob 1d.jpg

Little Budders is a risk taker like Feisty was at this age. Budders tried it and started eating. Since she's still living and eating it, the others decided it must be ok to eat, and tried it.

5 21 2018 Chicks 1st time corn on cob 1e.jpg

5 21 2018 Chicks 1st time corn on cob 1f.jpg

5 21 2018 Chicks 1st time corn on cob 1g.jpg

5 21 2018 Chicks 1st time corn on cob 1h.jpg

5 21 2018 Chicks 1st time corn on cob 1i.jpg

5 21 2018 Chicks 1st time corn on cob 1m.jpg

5 21 2018 Chicks 1st time corn on cob 1n.jpg

They should go nuts any time they see it now. My sweet hens have known was corn is in all its forms from plant to the delicious corn on the cobs and they love them all. I spread the corn on the cob all over the yard.

5 21 2018 hens corn on cob 1.jpg

5 21 2018 hens corn on cob 1a.jpg

5 21 2018 hens corn on cob 1b.jpg

5 21 2018 hens corn on cob 1c.jpg

5 21 2018 hens corn on cob 1d.jpg

5 21 2018 hens corn on cob 1e.jpg

5 21 2018 hens corn on cob 1f.jpg

5 21 2018 hens corn on cob 1g.jpg

Feisty is eating corn and Sour is going to steal it followed by Golden Nugget who tosses it

5 21 2018 hens corn on cob 1h.jpg

5 21 2018 hens corn on cob 1i.jpg

5 21 2018 hens corn on cob 1j.jpg

The white arrow is showing where the barred rock with cob in her mouth is

5 21 2018 hens corn on cob 1k.jpg

5 21 2018 hens corn on cob 1l.jpg

5 21 2018 hens corn on cob 1m.jpg

5 21 2018 hens corn on cob 1n.jpg

5 21 2018 hens corn on cob 1o.jpg

barred ran to back yard after the pic below

5 21 2018 hens corn on cob 1p.jpg

Two of the three new chicks are here. Another Buff Orpington (just in case my gut is right about Butterball. I should just retire that name since every time its given, turns out the chick is a boy) and an Ameraucana. They have fluffy checks and lay either green, pink or blue eggs. Below are a few pics of this breed I raised years ago.

2012 young hens.jpg

2 hens in  nest box 1a.jpg

Black Beard.JPG

easter egger.JPG

Green Eggs.JPG

Now these chicks 1st pics

5 24 2018 new chicks 1.jpg

5 24 2018 new chicks 1a.jpg

5 24 2018 new chicks 1b.jpg

5 24 2018 new chicks 1c.jpg

5 24 2018 new chicks 1d.jpg

5 24 2018 new chicks 1e.jpg

5 24 2018 new chicks 1f.jpg

5 24 2018 new chicks 1g.jpg

5 24 2018 new chicks 1h.jpg

Next week my barred rock that will replace my current one should be here.

Part 1:

AWWW Purple They're So Cute !  Speckles Is Really Super Cute ! Your Older Birds Are Huge Now ! 

Oh And So Cool About The Green And Blue Eggs. Believe It Or Not... I Still Have Medium To Large

Catalogs For Purchasing Chickens {Eggs I Mean} Your Dear Chickens And Chicks Are So Well Taken Care Of-Very Nice Job.

I'm Going To Go Backwards And Catch Up With Your Topic-I Think I've Missed Some Pages ?

What An Enjoyable And Colorful Page This Is. I Think I Have 2-No 3  New Loves-> Shhhh-Don't Tell Anybody.

But Cookies Melts My Heart, Feisty For Her Coloring And Just As She Is. And Last, But Certainly Not Least---> Little Speckles !

Thank You Very Much Purple.  Grateful, BW...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 2: 

After Reading And Looking Back  At All Of Your Pictures {Fantastic Quality-BTW} On Page 12 {Cuz, I Said I've Missed A Few Pages}

I Really Hope You Don't Think I'm BS'ing You... But I Must Say Your Writing Is Outstanding. Your Knowledge Of So Many Things Blows My Mind.

I Know You Could Never Find Time. But If You Ever Do... Might I Suggest You Write A Book And/Or An Instruction Type Manual Not Only For The

Chickens But Even For Your Other Awesome Talents Like Raising Children, Gardening, Making Medibles, Cooking 5 Star Meals & Many Etcs.

At 1st... Because You Are SO Descriptive And Funny In Your Writing I Had Thought ->Hey !  'Comic Book ?' <-By No Means Was This A Put Down.

You Could Do Either. Have You Ever Seen R. Crumbs Work ? Like Zap Comics ? That Style. Or Whatever. Quite An Undertaking And Only Merely

A Suggestion.

Seriously Purple---> You ARE That Good ! Lastly, I Apologize For Not Being Here Much And Although I've Tried To Catch Up... It Requires Good Days

On My End.. I Can't Say Enough... But Sister, I Believe You Can Do Anything You Set Your Mind To. You've More That Demonstrated It Here Onsite.

One More Thing---> What Beautiful Animals/Really Family You Have There. Everyone Of Them Are Unique. {I've Said 'Unique' Many Times-It's True}

Thanks Very Much For Everything You Do For Us @ PIF OMMP.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ooops... BTW Again,

I'm Officially All Caught Up And I Loved Every Second ! I Wish I Was You... We All Admire You And Bless Your Heart For Selflessly Sharing Every 

Picture And Comment As Well. You Rockstar You ! Sister Purple You More Than Deserve Praise. Hope I Don't Sound Too Goofy, But I Believe You

Know Me Pretty Well By Now And You Know I Wouldn't Say What I've Said Unless I Really Meant It.  Nothing I've Said Is Meant To Embarrass You.       

I'm Most Grateful, Sincerely-Sent., BW/P.S. I'll Hit Page 11 Tomorrow. But 1st I Must Go And Check-Out How Many Pages I've Missed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 3:

As Said Above: I'm All Caught Up. Now With Every New Post I Will Get To See And Read About Your Next Experiences !

OK OK Ya Don't Have To Get The Stage Hook Out-> I'm Go'in... Lol !

Onwards To A Fantastic 2018 Season... Most Grateful As Always... Just Me, BW---> Pssst, My Family Loves What You Do Too-How Could Anyone

Not Learn From You ? I Keep Thinking About Just How Much Those Outside Of This Marvelous Site Are Missing.

Oh Before I Forget---> Have I Ever Got Lemon Balm Just-Ahhh-Wildly Growing Alongside The Mints Too/They're Everywhere, Lettuces, Oh Yes &

Plenty Of Good For Us Parsley ! Onion & Garlic Chives, Onions, Kiwis Just Starting 2nd Fall. Dwarf Fruit Trees, Seedless Grapes.Ooops, BIG Mouth Me !

Please Feel Free To Delete Anything Here.

I Promise My Posts Will Not Get This Big Again. I Guess I'm Just Excited And I Feel More Devoted To Growing More And Being Able To Take Care Of

Every Single Plant This Season-It'll Be Good To Move Around More Outside/I Credit You For This.

Always Your Fan, Most Grateful For This Topic And For Your 2018 Grow. And No Rush/Knowing How Super Busy You Are 7 Days A Week !

Yeah No Hurry... But I Can't Wait To See & Read More.

Have A Great  Evening/I Sure Did... Thank You Very Much My Friend. Sincerely Grateful, BW...