• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

tumbleweed

DIY Hydro Flood/Drain / Ebb/Flow Unit ~

Time to make 5-10 minuted.

Tools needed drill and drill bit, or other way of cutting the 2 holes needed in the top container, one is for pumping in from the bottom and the other is for draining back to the bottom.

Equipment used (for 1):

2 - Restaurant style bus tubs, heavy duty, food safe ($9.95 each)

1 - Water pump (I used 160GPH, $10.45)

1 - drain fitting ($1.50)

1 - fill fitting ($1.50)

1 - 3" long or so 1/2" flexible tubing ($0, had some extra on hand)

2 - scrap pieces of heavy duty Panda (black/white) plastic to cover the openings on the bottom tub to prevent light from hitting the bottom res openings not already covered by the tub on the top, these will be attached to the bottom tub with blue painters tape.

First turn one of the tubs upside down and make the 2 holes needed.  Then attach the fill and drain fittings.  Then connect the pump to the fill connector with the 1/2" diameter flexible hose.

I will be using Hydrotron expanded baked clay pellets for my grow medium.  NOTE: It should be well rinsed before using to remove the dust they ship with, this will make your pump last longer.

1-DSC_0577_2.jpg

1-DSC_0578_2.jpg

1-DSC_0579_2.jpg

1-DSC_0580_1.jpg

1-DSC_0581_1.jpg

1-DSC_0582_2.jpg

1-DSC_0583_1.jpg

1-DSC_0584_1.jpg

1-DSC_0585_1.jpg

1-DSC_0586_2.jpg

1-DSC_0587.jpg

1-DSC_0588_2.jpg

California 215 compliant grow

Currently Growing: TW8 (Blue Lime Pie x White Nightmare) cross made and KUSH OG and Pre-98 Bubba Kush.

Lighting:  start/veg 2 - 190w LUSH Herbal Vador 2x, 2 - 435w LUSH Lighting Dominator 2x

Lookin' good TW!  I was just looking at small flood table ideas on google, and then you post this!  Yeah buddy!

Is the weight of the top tub going to bulge out  the sides of the res tub?  How thick is the material the tubs are made of?

You say Geek like it's a bad thing???

GrowGeekBanner1.jpg

Not planning on securing the tubs, weight alone will do that, but could use double sided tape if worried.

Tubs are strong enough I could stand on them upsidedown, not worried about holding the weight, but if was, could always run a piece of wire or heavy duty fishing line and just have a clip on each side (center of the bottom one), or just below the rim put in 2 eyehooks, with small piece of wood on the outside and line to secure, won't move at all.

Currently Growing: TW8 (Blue Lime Pie x White Nightmare) cross made and KUSH OG and Pre-98 Bubba Kush.

Lighting:  start/veg 2 - 190w LUSH Herbal Vador 2x, 2 - 435w LUSH Lighting Dominator 2x

So far it appears the plants are liking the tubs, the largest plant is 7" tall and 14" wide (un-topped)

1-DSC_0616.JPG

1-DSC_0617.JPG

1-DSC_0618.JPG

1-DSC_0619.JPG

So, a week later, and notice the last pic, is what I think a proper flood of the medium should look like.

1-DSC_0633.JPG

1-DSC_0634.JPG

1-DSC_0635.JPG

1-DSC_0636.JPG

1-DSC_0637.JPG

1-DSC_0638.JPG

1-DSC_0639.JPG

peace,

tw

Nice

Garden of Dreams
In my garden there is a large place for sentiment.
My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams.
The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers, and the dreams are as beautiful.
     ~Abram L. Urban