• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Purple Power

Quarantine; what is it and why do I need to?

Lets talk about quarantine, the quarantine process is as, if not, more important then growing our meds.

The definition of Quarantine [ kwawr-uh n-teen]

noun

1. A strict isolation imposed to prevent the spread of disease.

2.  a period, originally 40 days, of detention or isolation imposed upon ships, persons, animals, or plants on arrival at a port or place, when suspected of carrying some infectious or contagious disease.

3.  a system of measures maintained by governmental authority at ports, frontiers, etc., for preventing the spread of disease.

4.  the branch of the governmental service concerned with such measures.

5. a place or station at which such measures are carried out, as a special port or dock where ships are detained.

6.  the detention or isolation enforced.

7.  the place, especially a hospital, where people are detained.

verb (used with object), quarantined, quarantining.

1. to put in or subject to quarantine.

2.  to exclude, detain, or isolate for political, social, or hygienic reasons.

Quarantine is your gardens 1st defense. You may not own a farm with lots of acreage with lots of plants or animals, but even in the small urban farming setting, quarantine is important. Remember a happy plant or animal will produce more and higher quality..... even the very depressed looking steer.

With No Quarantine Protocols what so ever- This encourages pest(s) to spread and take hold. Just image how bad you would feel infecting someone's garden, that you were helping out, or how mad you would be if someone infected your garden, or at yourself for not having or following a quarantine protocols....... You will spend a lot of time/money fighting them. If you're lucky to get a harvest with pests around, the meds will be of lower quality and quantity. If you're not lucky, crop failure. This can be very devastating  to patients.  Just looking at the plant doesn't count, you may of missed something like a spore or an egg, etc.... before I had my quarantine protocols, I lost two crops in a row to spider mites and as a result ran out of meds. The old GR was torn down ( Yes, I tore down even the studs)  and a new GR was built with Quarantine Protocols.

What are the ways bad bugs/spores can enter?

- Infected plant(s) is probably #1 on this list.  I will explain below how to deal with the plants

-Equipment. Clean with 10% bleach solution then wipe down with rubbing alcohol. I do this when re-setting a GR and even when getting equipment new straight from the box.  

-Infected soil/ grow products. Infected Soil was how I was introduced to spider mites the first time. For indoor grows, my soil stays for 1 grow cycle then its used somewhere else. There are 2 ways I deal with soil, I either bake the soil or use beneficial bugs.

-You and family members.....when visiting another garden. By garden I mean other cannabis gardens, veggie gardens, nurseries- this includes stores that sells plants (Fred Myers, Walmart, etc.). Basically any time You are near or touching plants that are NOT in your indoor garden area. you or family member doing the outdoor chores; pruning the trees, mowing the lawn, etc.. It's a good practice to assume you are infected with a small pest and take a shower before going in the indoor garden area.

Ventilating. Like the filter for you house, don't forget to change it. and make sure it filters are small enough to catch whatever happens to be in the air

Pets and Quarantine 

For Quarantine  reasons, this is why my cats are indoor only. So they don't bring something in,  infecting me and spreading it in the house. This is why my late dog was an outdoor only dog- he hated being indoors anyways. The only time he was allowed in was for health reasons- like recovering from knee surgery. Of course if you have an in/outdoor dog or just walked the dog outside, give him/her a bath.

I just got a new plant, now what?

First the transportation. Was it a donation you picked up, or delivered? Did you get it from a dispensary? If you picked up or delivered some clones, quarantine even applies to your vehicle. Yes, you read that right. I have a Quarantine Protocol for my vehicle.

During transport, I use 2 bags and a box for the plant(s) for car rides (one bag right side up and one upside down) into a cardboard box. Some people use plastic, I like paper to let the plant breathe. It is a good idea to keep some bags and a box in your vehicle if you're planning on going to a dispensary.  I been to dispensaries where they don't bag the clone(s), and since I didn't have bags or a box in my car, they got a car ride in my cup holder.... I'm not kidding.

Once you get your plants on the property where they will be grown. PUT THEM IN THE QUARANTINE AREA, Spray the plants, AND TAKE A SHOWER ASAP. Get the clean clothes after the shower. This may seems weird, my family knows when they hear "shower quarantine", they know to shut their door and not open it until given the 'All clear'. I stripe in the laundry room and put my clothes in the washing machine, close lid. I wrap my dry hair in a towel and go to take a shower. After the shower, I lay out a clean towel and use another to put the towel I used to wrap up my dry hair, and the towel to dry myself off, wrap/roll up and take it to the washing machine and start it. Then I get dressed and give the all clear.

There is no point of cleaning your vehicle until you take a shower and have clean clothes on.

I not only vacuum my vehicle, but use my steamVAC after visiting a garden or getting new clones. They come with an attachment and they can clean more then just steps and your sofa. the floor, the seats and don't forget the top if the fabric there. Then wipe down all non fabric. Yes, I have gotten weird looks while using my steam VAC before, but I don't let that bug me. Staring back tends to get people nervous and usually stop staring and walk away. After the vehicle is clean,...take another shower.

My Quarantine area is cold and not the best lighting. Why you might ask?  The lighting is a single T-5 Bulb and a LED lights for the room they are in. This encourages plant to stretch. I want this for cloning. The cold is to slow down any possible pest. It takes longer for eggs to hatch, slower moving, etc.

The plants have been examined and in what I call the nuking phase. The 'nuking phase' is using strong chemicals that require me to where gloves, long sleeve shirt, and not breathing in what I'm spraying.  The 1st round is being sprayed with Avid at 2x the strength already. This will leave residue on them, so try not to freak out thinking it has PM.  Next week, they'll be sprayed with Sevin, I also use BT. I don't use beneficial bugs during these phase. Any new clone I get will never actually enter any of my grow areas  After the nuking phase is complete, they will be cloned and nuked again... I've been know to repeat this process 2 or 3 times. After their 1st set of clones takes root and healthy, they themselves ( the now mother plants) will be destroyed.  The clones will be in another quarantine area separate from their mothers. If I take a clone from my outdoor the clones goes through the same process.

It may seem wasteful to destroy the plants, but there are reasons to do this. The main reason is to ensure that no new pest(s) are allowed in not only your grow area, but if you also have house plants this will help them as well. After every dealing with these plant, I take a shower, and wash my clothes and towel.

Once I have rooted clones in there pots, I start using my preventative measures. Here's my most useful pest controls in my arsenal of beneficial bugs, Predator Nematodes. I highly advise/recommend for these little guys to be used. Since I started using them, I haven't seen a Fungus Gnats once in my indoor garden. I routinely release them as will as other beneficial bugs outdoors.

The place I get them call them there "Double-Death" Mix. It's mix of two Predator Nematodes species to cover a wider range of soil depth preference.

Upper 3 Inches of Soil Media:
Steinernema Species

Top 3 to 6 Inches of Soil Media:
Heterorhabditis Species

Predator Nematodes attack and eat/kill more than 250 different insects, including Fleas, Thrips, Fungus Gnats, even insects as large as Cutworms! Nearly any insect that spends a part of its lifecycle in the soil is likely prey for the very hungry Predator Nematodes. They help slow or stop the pest(s) cycle in its tracks giving you the time to finish them off. Depending on what the pest is will determine what beneficial bug I'll use on the top side, if I don't used a chemical. If I choose to use a chemical, I cover the soil before spraying (grocery plastic bags works great here) and put some on on a Q-tip or paper towel to wipe it on the pot being careful not to get it on the soil. 

They are on small piece of synthetic sponge that you rinse out in water. (for One Million / roughly 18$; treats up to 2,500 square feet of soil surface). You can use any type of watering can or sprayer to apply them to the soil. The pressure of passing through a sprayer nozzle won't faze them in the slightest.  For best results make repeat applications every 4-6 weeks throughout the season when soil temperatures are between 50° F. to 85° F. They can be kept dormant in the frig, just make sure the sponge doesn't dry out.

The link below will take you to "An Intro to beneficial bugs and beneficial insect food" it has a list (been worked on) to pests and beneficial insects

http://freemygreenpdx.com/topic/14334-an-intro-to-benefical-bugs-and-beneficial-insect-food/?p=124257

gallery_2188_61_23224.png  

Classy, sassy, and a bit of a smart assy

Wonderful post!  One can NEVER be too careful.  If clones are to be a thing, we all have to be responsible.  As described is the only way to be sure.  Thank you.

I have been putting some extra soap and iso in my sprays lately to be sure to get penetration on very small pests...don't know if it helps.

Ever nuke the GR with high powered H2O2?

sillydog sez, "Dope grows."

In the past, I've used bug bombs, wash everything with bleach and alcohol separately. Be care if/when mixing chemicals. Mixing bleach and vinegar makes Toxic chlorine gas and that wouldn't be good. If unsure a quick google search should be able to tell if its safe mix.  if the room has carpet I put plastic over it the edge come up on the walls and are stapled and taped.  I paint the wall (flat white) between grow cycles.... will b painting this summer whole house

How to sterilizes your soil

The pasteurized process is also called, Soil Solarization. It is a nonchemical method for controlling soilborne pests using high temperatures produced by capturing radiant energy from the sun. When properly done, the top 6 inches of the soil will heat up to as high as 140°F, depending on the location.

The plastic sheets allow the sun’s radiant energy to be trapped in the soil, heating the top 12 to 18 inches and killing a wide range of soilborne pests, such as weeds, pathogens, nematodes, and insects. greatest at the surface of the soil and decreases at deeper soil depths. The maximum temperature of soil solarized in the field is usually 108° to 131°F at a depth of 2 inches and 90° to 99°F at 18 inches.

Control of soil pests is usually best for organisms found in the upper 6 inches of earth. Soil solarization also speeds up the breakdown of organic material in the soil, often resulting in the added benefit of release of soluble nutrients such as nitrogen (N03-, NH4+), calcium (Ca++), magnesium (Mg++), potassium (K+), and fulvic acid, making them more available to plants.

To pasteurized potting soil, it is done with heat or steam before using it; this will kill flies, fungus gnats, algae and microorganisms they feed on.

1. Moisten it.

2. Place it in a bag of transparent plastic or black plastic.

3 Make the pile no deeper than about 8 inches.

4. Place the bagged soil on a slightly elevated surface, such as a pallet in a sunny location, for about 4 to 6 weeks.

If you have some old window frames with glass, you can build a small solar oven to 'cook' the soil also. Like a cloche made of 4 strawbales with a window over the top

post-2997-0-95142500-1485516914.jpg

Another method is saturation with an H2O2 [hydrogen peroxide] and water solution.

muA

Edited by IammuA