• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Purple Power

Virginia man delivers 300,000 pennies to DMV, spends over $1,000 to do it

Virginia man delivers 300,000 pennies to DMV, spends over $1,000 to do it

by Elizabeth Tyree

Thursday, January 12th 2017

74ef2b7d-b1e5-4866-916b-b03f5cc6f3de-lar

Nick Stafford waits for his number to be called as he stands beside of 5 wheelbarrows full of change, mostly pennies, at the DMV in Lebanon, Virginia. Stafford was paying the sales tax on two cars that he was titling.

LEBANON, Va. (WSET) -- It's one way to get back at the DMV.

Nick Stafford, from Lebanon, carried five wheelbarrows of pennies into the Department of Motor Vehicles Wednesday.

It was 300,000 pennies in total.

Stafford told the Bristol Herald Courier it was to pay sales tax on two new cars.

The pennies weighed in at 1,600 pounds.

And Stafford ended up filing three lawsuits and spending at least $1,000 to give the DMV his two cents.

Nick Stafford

I arrived at the DMV at 9:00 a.m this morning. After doing a few interviews with local new stations in the parking lot, I started transporting the pennies into the DMV using FIVE wheel barrels full of unrolled pennies ($2,987.45 worth). After finishing the paperwork to title my vehicles and pay my sales tax the DMV started counting the pennies. At first the DMV started counting the pennies using automated coin counting machines but the machines were jamming so they are now counting the pennies by hand, and have been doing so ever since. As of right now it is 6:08 p.m. and all the DMV employees are staying late to finish counting. The DMV manager estimates that at the rate they are counting it will take until 1:00 AM or even later to finish counting the 298,745 pennies by hand. The DMV is requiring that me or one of my employees remain inside the DMV office until the count is finished. The DMV employees are being very respectful and accommodating considering the situation. We are planning on staying until the last penny is accounted for. So If you happen to drive by the Lebanon DMV tonight and see the lights on with a full staff inside counting pennies, you know know why. ( https://www.facebook.com/stafford78/posts/10202595141236549 )

Stay tuned for videos and pictures, not sure when I will have time to post them because it is going to be a long night.

He said he had a bone to pick with the DMV, not about agonizingly long lines or a bad picture on his driver's license, but about 10 phone numbers.

Stafford told his version of the story to the newspaper, it goes:

http://ktvl.com/news/offbeat/virginia-man-delivers-300000-pennies-to-dmv-spends-over-1000-to-do-it

gallery_2188_61_23224.png  

Classy, sassy, and a bit of a smart assy