• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SpeedDemon4

Water Cure

I wanted to document my water cure so everyone can see it and teach me/learn some thing new. i will be doing a 7 day water cure and changing out the water every day. The plants went into water immediately after harvest.

Day 1:

GFllIyp.jpg

BCNZ3s6.jpg

YcSN0Kg.jpg

12 hours of water curing:

iQGB3e2.jpg

Day 2: More flower added

XqrI1kZ.jpg

WCihUMC.jpg

will be fun to see how this turns out, I have never tried water curing myself.

peace,

tw

California 215 compliant grow

Currently Growing: TW8 (Blue Lime Pie x White Nightmare) cross made and KUSH OG and Pre-98 Bubba Kush.

Lighting:  start/veg 2 - 190w LUSH Herbal Vador 2x, 2 - 435w LUSH Lighting Dominator 2x

I have always wondered about water curing too!  It just goes against everything I know - cut, DRY, cure, smoke..... haha

After the 7 days do you simply dry out the nugs on a screen?  How does the appearance of the final product compare to that of a regular cure?  I can't wait to see how it turns out

“You have control over your work alone, never the fruit.”  "If you don't try to be great, you don't really even have a good chance of being good"

I have never tried water curing either, and my worrisome self would worry about getting them dry fast enough.

I have seen and smoked water cured buds however. They look sort of strange due to the lack of green color. A lot of the chlorophyll gets rinsed out with all the water changes. Sounds like a particularly good idea if planning to make oil using that material :)

They actually dry out really quickly at the end of the process..can't remember exactly but it was less than 24 hours..it's real smooth just not the same smoking experience, vaping is more similar (to vaping traditionally cured flower) but it definitely still medicates..I turned all my watercured into coconut oil this time, but I've kept it to smoke in the past.

Am late getting this started but here are 3 buds I am watercuring, a dried and mostly cured bud, an overdried crumbly bud and 2 wet off the plant buds.

Day 1 in water...you will notice I had to force the dryer buds under the surface of the water, they are not waterlogged and heavy yet...but soon enough they will be.

P1010320.jpg
LEFT: overdried crumbly bud
MIDDLE: dried & mostly cured bud
RIGHT: wet off the plant buds

P1010321.jpg
overdried crumbly bud

P1010322.jpg
dried & mostly cured bud

P1010323.jpg
wet off the plant buds

P1010324.jpg
dried bud floating

P1010325.jpg
Lids submerging buds beneath water.

muA

One thing I noticed is the amount of overall material seems to have gone down. I wonder if this is because it is all wet or if it is from the material that the water is leaching out of the flowers. 

you WILL lose some mass and weight from the buds once watercured as the osmosis th@ clears the bud moves mobile elements and chlorophylls from the plant matter to the water. This results in a bud th@ when dried is about 5%-10% lower weight, conversely the remaining bud WILL be a little more intense because it is clear or clearer @least of other rubbish. It should burn clean ash when smoked with little taste or scent. It will also compact a tad as the bud loses structural strength when saturated and slumps under gravity when removed and dried.

This loss through osmosis of chlorophylls and mobile elements and surface dust even, will mean it will make a cleaner extraction when extracted into oils or solvents.

This mean less green colour and less green taste in butter or coconut oils or glycerin. It also means a less green alcohol extraction.

Watercure works best for me in summer when temps of the water in jars is 20*C or above....I find cool season watercures benefit whether from a few extra days or leaving the jars somewhere warmer. The cooler the water the slower the osmosis effect.

muA

Edited by IammuA

As I have just partaken of calli-O 4weeks in the jar I am somewh@ relaxed, reasonably painfree and a tad jovial :D hehehe...and when I am stoned ...medicated, I tend to gibber [or jibber] on and on...sometimes I even spout some useful info! muahaha :LOL: but then again, I spout so much, SOME of it has gotta be of use to someone.

A broken analog clock is still right twice a day, eh? muaahhahaa :D

Anyway...where was I?...oh, yes..

Water Curing Bud; is it right for YOU?

and the correct answer?... right now, before reading further, your reply should be 'maybe'.

Water Curing has its place in the growers toolbox of tricks, methods and means to get wh@ they are after...buds, and ultimately medicine.

Firstly before deciding if its right for you, you need to know wh@ water curing actually IS, eh?

Water Curing is soaking the plant material, be it bud or leaf, in clean water, changing out for clean water each day usually for 7 days, sometimes 10 days in cooler temps, and then finally removing and drying the bud.

What happens to the bud during this process? :1sm390teach:

Well, I have a fast and easy comparison for you.

Ever made a cup of tea? :D muahahaha...is the same principle but for a different reason and with some variations in method.

You soak tea leaves in hot water to infuse the water with tannins and other such stuff to make water into tea. The longer the tea is steeped before removing it the stronger the tea is, right?

Well, water curing is similar...you want wh@s in the plant matter to move into the water, just like tea but instead of hot water which would damage trichs one uses tepid room temp water. [too cold any you risk knocking chilled tricks off]

The green colour pigment in plants, chlorophyll, will move from plant cells to water to equalize osmotic pressure, as will mobile and soluble minerals and elements. This means excess ferts in the plant matter should leech into the water, leaving the plant matter clearer and cleaner.

You should lose about 5%-10% weight/mass from watercured material due to this osmotic cleansing, but  the upside is the plant matter is easier to consume and whilst NOT stronger, will weight for weight with the pre and post watercured bud have more cannabinoids. It just means ya consume less for the same effect. :D hehehe

Water Curing DOES take away 90%-99% of scent and flavor as well, so not good for bud th@ is enjoyed for its taste.

On the other hand it makes nasty weed usable.

When extracting with a solvent th@ extracts chlorophylls water curing can really contribute to a cleaner end product.

As treatment of smoking material, I cannot recommend this method unless you are aiming for 'stealth smoke' in which case this would work.

As pre treatment to extraction material and treatment of over ferted or contaminated material, this method has some merit and deserves it place in a growers toolkit.

Using a ph meter and ec/ppm meter and taking readings 2X day of the soakwater would shed some interesting data when watercuring.

Why not give it a go with a single bud inna jar the next time you harvest? The soakwater will give a strong indication of how much crap is in the plant matter itself for th@ harvest.

:th_doc:

AN OPEN CHALLENGE to growers with a nug they could spare for this challenge...

WATER CURE a nug, go the 7 days, use new jar each day, saving the old jars of water...post pics in this thread of each days water...then line em all up together and take a pic.

Muggywater mugshots! :D muahahaha!

if you have ppm/ec/ph meters, take readings and post them...am guessing data from a few sources would show a pattern we could learn from.

muA

Edited by IammuA

Day 2 of the watercure.

Notice the water has taken on a definite coloured tinge...

P1010326.jpg

:Nerd:

P1010327.jpg

And the jars with new clean water with buds back in. 

muA

Well mine are all dry and in jars. I will follow up with a smoke report. While they were in the dehumidifier there was a strong plant matter smell in the air. When I took them out there was no obvious smell until they were in the jar. Once in the jar they smelled really fruity.

YHmKtHj.jpg

wwIQSwR.jpg

5ziULA3.jpg

Another day, another replacement of the water.

Here are the jars after 24hrs

P1010328.jpg

:Thinking:

P1010329.jpg
and with fresh water in the jars.

It got cool here last night...down to 4*C...and the warmer days of late have been getting to about 24*C.

This being said, there is less colour to the water when the nights are colder. Methinks the osmosis has a different effect when water is cooler than when it is warmer [ approx.20*C vs approx.35*C-40*C]

In warmer weather I get much darker water with more stank than scent to it.

With this cooler weather the water is not as dark nor is there any stank to the water, just a sweet cannabis terpene scent.

7 days is usually enough for a water cure for me but methinks in this cooler weather I might extend it to 10 days or so....just to get the most I can from the bud.

Usually with summer watercuring all terpenes are lost...scent disappears...but I have found with cool weather water curing the terpenes and other sweet scents do remain.

From experience I would suggest th@ cool temp water curing preserves scent to the bud compared to warm temp water curing which removes scent from the bud.

Water curing in a fridge MIGHT turn out to have some merit, eh? :D

muA

Are there any benefits or reason that one would want to eliminate all the terps by doing a summer watercure?  One thing I can think of is so it smells less in transport. 

“You have control over your work alone, never the fruit.”  "If you don't try to be great, you don't really even have a good chance of being good"

That IS a good point...

One might do it to make a more stealthy smoke...both for transport and for low scent toking, though I mainly use it to clear bud I am going to be extracting from.

muA

Edited by IammuA