Fall Giveaway Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CatManMoo

Slow Seedling Growth

I have some seeds that I really want to have live because one I will never get again.  Here's whats going on...

Growth was slow and once the first set of leaves showed up some started to look lighter green/yellow and others were looking twisted and burnt.  Growth has been almost nonexistent in 6 weeks.  I have only ever watered with RO.  Here is the timeline.

-Germinated seeds in paper towels. 

-Planted into 1gallon pots with ProMix HP/perlite

-All seeds popped

-Under t5 flouros

-Watered with RO

-Started to show signs of being burnt when first bladed leaves appeared

-Thought I was overwatering...  Let things dry way out.

-Tried under watering.  Still nothing working.

-Went on vacation for 10 days and plants were watered like normal

-Came back from vacation and there was no new growth - dammit

-Watered once - nothing

-Flushed using 3 gallons of water per pot and put fans on high

-Let plants dry out.  Have watered regularly 2x now with almost no new growth. 

Strains:

Peach Dream

Cindy 99

Sour Tangie

ProMix HP is not supposed to be a hot soil so I thought I was good throwing them into it. 

My thoughts are that maybe they need nutes from the get go - not likely. Otherwise the reddish leaves could be a phosphorus deficiency but I thought I'd ask the experts.  Any thoughts? 

IMG_8214.JPG

IMG_8215.JPG

IMG_8216.JPG

IMG_8217.JPG

“You have control over your work alone, never the fruit.”  "If you don't try to be great, you don't really even have a good chance of being good"

The pics make them look a little lighter than they really are.  Here is a photo of a Gorilla Glue #4 (bag seed) that showed the same issues growing up and somehow has survived.  I have transplanted this recently and started the Roots Organic nute regimen.  This is what made me think it was a phosphorus deficiency. 

IMG_8219.JPG

IMG_8220.JPG

“You have control over your work alone, never the fruit.”  "If you don't try to be great, you don't really even have a good chance of being good"

Do you know the ph of your water and the run off?

This could be fixed with a simple PH fix without adding extra nutes. Adding more could possibly burn them so i would check the ph first off.

I re thought what i said and it looks like a possible phosphorous deficiency but i would still check the PH as that would be the start to checking where the deficiency is coming from.

Do you know the ph of your water and the run off?

This could be fixed with a simple PH fix without adding extra nutes. Adding more could possibly burn them so i would check the ph first off.

I re thought what i said and it looks like a possible phosphorous deficiency but i would still check the PH as that would be the start to checking where the deficiency is coming from.

I second this. Most deficiencies seen at this stage are due to pH issues.

Thanks for the responses everyone!  Honestly I do not know the pH of the water and will have to pick up a meter today to check.  I was assuming the pH of store bought Reverse Osmosis water was 7 and thought that this would be fine for the plants. Will check and get back to you.

I planted the seeds directly into 1 gallon pots so I have not watered to runoff besides when I flushed.  I thought that this would drown them and take forever to dry out.  Is this not the best practice for small seedlings in a large pot?  I find it so much easier to tell how much water they need when I go from solo cut > 1 gallon > 3 gallon

Here is a pool strip that I had on hand.  I will be picking up a meter tonight.  The photo looks kinda light but from what I could see it was between 6.8 and 7.2

I could always sacrifice one of the sour tangies with some nutes just to see if that will make a difference.  I really just want the peach dream to live. 

IMG_8234.JPG

I was thinking it could be the soil.  I have started new seedlings within the last 2 weeks in a new soil (FF light warrior) and watering with the exact same water and they are doing just fine.  They are in solo cups. 

Also, I didn't wash out the pots before putting the seedlings in so I guess there could be some residue on the side but I dont think the roots are anywhere near there. 

Water before watering.  Is there a way to test the soil without watering to runoff? 

Ok I will try testing the soil later when I am home. I water every few days.. I try to water about as much as I would if they were in solo cups. I let it get very dry and pots light before next water.

Yes there is a small oscillating fan in the corner of the cabinet that blows onto them (plant level)

Should I turn the fan off?

Lights on 24 hours a day too

Ok the wind is blowing directly on them. I will change the fan path. Thanks!!

Glad i could help! I did that to a couple seedling before i got clones. So I'm glad i can transfer the knowledge. The way i think about it is that seedlings are under all the other plants out in nature so they wouldn't get much wind.

That makes a lot of sense. I have the fan now blowing up just moving air around. Plants were dry and in need of water so I gave them RO.

Just for shits I have one of the worst off plants first level nutes marked for "seedling" on my schedule at 1/2 the listed strength. We will see what happens.

I am picking up the meter tomorrow and will have a better idea of the soil pH. I didn't have enough time before lights off in the room to test it tonight with my pool strips. I'll keep you posted.

Does the soil smell sharp? 

Or Does it smell warm? 

If it prickles your nose there is something off with the soil.....

I'm guessing the soil hasn't broken down enough...or has become inert through drying (in shipping perhaps) and something took hold (like a mold or fungus to mess up the soil life)....pretty specific guess I know. But that's my guess..something in the soil hasn't broken down for x reason and burned them a little

No smells to be alarmed about. I have some Fox Farm Light Warrior soil that is supposed to light so seedlings won't burn. My new seedlings are doing fine in it. I will try up potting them as described into this soil and water per your instructions. Out of curiosity, what is the hydrogen peroxide for?

I transplanted them into new soil and watered with hydrogen peroxide and RO that was pH balanced to 6.2.  Only hydrogen peroxide I could find was 3% and I used it at the same rate as suggested (2ml/gallon). 

When I turned the 1 gallon pots they were living in upside down to remove some soil and transplant I noticed minimal root growth.  Its like the thin taproot shot straight down to the bottom but never really branched out into the soil.  There was a small amount of roots in the bottom but nothing to hold any soil together on the sides.  I figured I'd just remove almost all the dirt and transplant them back into 1 gallon pots with seedling soil much like I would a rooted clone.  Hopefully I can save some of them. 

As for the larger GG#4 plant that is already in a 3 gallon pot, it is showing the same symptoms.  I will shoot some pics at lunch but the new growth is coming out with red leaf tips.  I watered with the same hydrogen peroxide water that the seedlings got.  The leaves that are very far along have a weird texture to them that is kind of hard to describe but does not feel like a normal, healthy leaf. Kind of a tacky feeling.