RAW Mini Tray with Lid Bundle Giveaway @ShopRPD Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

flyin1420

DIY Cloner

Join our team of master growers and both learn and teach the art of growing high grade medical cannabis,

Register now!

Fylin1420 has loaned me a machine. I will be using this machine for the BlueJam release later this year. Without it I couldn't do the other. I'm hugely grateful for how this will help me and the loan...

How well does the cloner work?  

Perfectly almost. 

I've used it for the last 4 days. 

What I can say hands down is that my plants have shown almost zero stress with being cut and stuck in here. I say 

'almost' just to be pedantic. The plants in there are showing and pushing fresh green growth the same as when they where on the plant.  That to me really speaks of the efficacy of this machine. It works. It works really well. 

I need to ensure I capture strains and odd pheno's that show up with my breeding. 

I'm expecting the success rate to be like Flyin1420 said and close to 100%. 

DSC02613.jpg

DSC02614.jpg

Every joint is neat, tight, inline and perfect. 

DSC02615.jpg

DSC02616.jpg

Took the powerline

DSC02620.jpg

DSC02621.jpg

DSC02619.jpg

Add water. Turn it on. 

DSC02622.jpg

IT WORKS! :-)

I added a tablespoon of peroxide to approx' 7 gallons. Just to keep things fresher.

DSC02618.jpg

Added a pinch of "Dragonfly earth Medicines" 

DSC02617.jpg

At the moment, there is a tiny amount of leakage around the lid. However, a put a gasket of a removable layer of soft plastic (aka duct tape). She has been drip free since. 

The cloner is working well, I still have almost no wilt in the cuttings after approx' 12 days. I'm not expecting the plant I took the cuttings from to produce easily clones plants because it is a NepJam cross. So I'm expecting it to take a little longer before roots are shown. 

A little overkill, but I applied this to create a better seal. No more drips now. Less than $8 from Home Depot. 

DSC02694.jpg

Great write up and design that looks like an awesome cloner.  I made a ghetto cloner and ran into issues with the roots and gave up.  They started to grow right away but soon developed a clear, slimy mucus like substance around the cut site and any roots.  Would the the addition of hydrogen peroxide help prevent this?  Also, how often do you change the water?

“You have control over your work alone, never the fruit.”  "If you don't try to be great, you don't really even have a good chance of being good"

As an update.

The functionality of the cloner machine is spot on. It's been running virtually non-stop for about 6 weeks. One of the red little sprayers popped off when I was changing the water, but no issue to pop it back in again.

I knew when I put the strains I wanted to make clones of in there that they may not take. That's to do with the strains, and where and when I took the cuttings.

However, I have put some new cutting in there in the lasts week and can already see a lot of little white root nubbies..

Also, running water only with no additions is enough. Foliar misting can be used for feeding. 

Great write up and design that looks like an awesome cloner.  I made a ghetto cloner and ran into issues with the roots and gave up.  They started to grow right away but soon developed a clear, slimy mucus like substance around the cut site and any roots.  Would the the addition of hydrogen peroxide help prevent this?  Also, how often do you change the water?

You need to keep the water changed out, then this won't happen in the future. :) Change out the water every three days.

You need to keep the water changed out, then this won't happen in the future. :) Change out the water every three days.

Also, you have to keep the water cool enough. Best under 70 degrees. To hot and your water will go bad real quick.

I've been using this cloner (one similar to the one that moorlandmoss has) for some time now, and successfully rooted dozens of clones.  I have not found it necessary to change out the water, but the reason for this is that mine has a small leak in the lid.  I have it sitting in a  3'x3' tray to catch the excess water which drains into a bucket.  So I have to add more water to it every 5-7 days.  I think this keeps the water fresh.  This may seem less than ideal, but it works for me because I set my 1 gallon no till smartpots in the tray next to the cloner to hydrate them.  I rotate these through every few days.  I use plain tap water without adjusting pH or adding peroxide or anything else.  Just straight H2O. 

Good point Dudz, about keeping the water cool.  The room I keep the cloner in stays around 60-70 degrees, so I haven't had any issues with heat. When the temp starts to warm up for the summer, the room will be air conditioned. The submersible pump will warm the temperature of the water a bit, but I haven't found it to be a problem yet.  If it becomes a problem, I will deal with it somehow.  I've read about people putting ice in the water to keep it cool

One thing I found out recently from reading DJ Shorts book, is that the more photosensitive the plant is, the easier she will be to clone. 

One aspect of a plant being photo sensitive is how quickly they respond to the change to flowering light schedules.............That response points to how well the plants will clone. 

Also DJ short recommends potting the clone cutting as soon as white bumps appear on the base of the stem....those pre root nodules are prime to be transplanted. 

I've had continued success using this cloner and I'm learning how to use it better with what the plants are telling me...

Announcements