Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Caedmon Michael

Samwise Might Be Sick

Sam had his semi-annual visit to the vet, this afternoon. Everything checked out great except that the lymph nodes below his ears are significantly swollen.

Enlarged lymph nodes can me a lot of things and only some of them are serious. However, the lack of anything else being wrong with him points toward serious. I mean, it's probably not a simple allergy or infection when his blood count is normal and he doesn't show any other signs of those conditions.

We won't know for a little bit, yet. We have a biopsy (ok, the vet called it something else, but I can't remember what and biopsy works) scheduled in a couple weeks and it will take some time (I didn't ask) to get those results back.

I'm disabled and poor. I can barely scratch up enough money for the biopsy. I don't have anything for extra treatment. If it turns out he just needs some antibiotics, I can swing it. If he needs surgery or long-term medications, I can't.

There is a very real possibility I could be saying goodbye to my best friend (and service dog) soon and I don't rabbiting like that.

hivemind-150.jpg

Welcome to the Hive Mind

My mind is on vacation. Please, kindly inform me if you see it. It is likely wearing a sparkle, rainbow wig, and comes to the name "Kristen."

I'm so sorry!

I read here that veterans service dogs are eligible for free healthcare

http://www.pva.org/site/apps/nlnet/content2.aspx?c=ajIRK9NJLcJ2E&b=6350111&ct=13654543

Here is an org that provides grants for service dogs care

http://grants.landofpuregold.com

A list of groups that help

http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

Don't forget that you can give cannabis to your pet. Skunkpharm has a good blog post about it. I am giving our cat coconut cannabis decoction for her cancer. We haven't seen any negative effects. She gets 1/2 tsp once a day.

Good luck. ❤️❤️❤️

Big thanks for the hearts, the luck, and the advice.

Unfortunately, it's not just a money problem. I mean, getting to the vet and back takes two busses and two and a half miles of walking. That's easy for a healthy dog.

Once we know what's really going on, though, I'll take a closer look at the links you shared. Money's not the only issue, but it's a big one. I would hate for money alone to be the problem.

hivemind-150.jpg

Welcome to the Hive Mind

My mind is on vacation. Please, kindly inform me if you see it. It is likely wearing a sparkle, rainbow wig, and comes to the name "Kristen."

Sorry Cademon, maybe you can call the vet and there is some type of organization avail abler that could help you get Samwise get to the vet and back. 

shortglide-1.jpg

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance --That principle is contempt prior to investigation."Herbert Spencer

Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact. —William James

Procedure rescheduled for tomorrow (Friday) morning. I don't know how long it will take to get results, but it will be two weeks sooner than before.

hivemind-150.jpg

Welcome to the Hive Mind

He had samples taken this morning. The vet tech says it usually takes 3-4 days, but I didn't ask if that counted the weekend. So, probably middle of next week, we'll find out.

I've noticed some subtle changes in him over the past 4-6 weeks. He's gotten really cuddly, especially at night, and is needy about it. He whines just a bit when he goes down to sleep at night (but only then, and it could be a snore). His leash skills have deteriorated some. He doesn't like to "sit" when I tell him, but he obeys other commands. He might be sleeping more, but so am I. And others I'm forgetting at the moment.

Only I would notice most of the above changes and they all have perfectly good explanations on their own. But, they are changes.

Outwardly, he still wants to run and chase his ball non-stop. He's running full speed and jumping like a puppy. He's walked 20 miles with me in the past 4 days. Eyes, coat, and nails are all great. Nose is just the right kind of wet. Or not. Teeth are good. No funny smells. His blood count was perfect. No injuries, illnesses, or infections suspected. Unfortunately, this is what the Dr. says points toward being something hard.

Because dogs experience time differently from us, I really feel quality of life, moment to moment, far surpasses quantity of life in importance. He has a good life and he is living it well. If it's the worst news, he and I will meet that moment in peace and joy at our friendship. There will be sadness and grief, for certain, but they will be accompanied by grace and peace. This is hard, but not scary. 

What scares me is a situation where treatment is available, but I am not able to provide it. I don't know those waters. I trust what will be will be and all will be well, but I'm also a little scared. We'll meet that if it comes.

hivemind-150.jpg

Welcome to the Hive Mind

The vet just called with great news. The lab work came back early showing no signs of cancer or any of the other horrible things we were preparing for. Instead, it showed signs of a minor infection. Since his blood work is clean and he shows no other signs than the swollen lymph nodes, the vet is closing the case and doesn't want to see Sam until his next, regular checkup. It's the absolute best news possible.

hivemind-150.jpg

Welcome to the Hive Mind

Great news to hear!!!!

shortglide-1.jpg

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance --That principle is contempt prior to investigation."Herbert Spencer

Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact. —William James

What a perfect ending. Im glad Samwise will be at your side for a long time to come. You two sure make some long trips. :) He must be in great shape.

Thanks for keeping us updated, I was worried for both of you. :)