Fall Giveaway Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

flyin1420

My No-Till Garden ~

Rate this topic

the Gorilla Glue has that same tell tale bend in the stalk I have on my C99xNJ :-) I knew it.

do you only have one kind of worm? do you have any of the bigger night crawlers? Seeing worms thriving in soil is a great soil health indicator. I've heard a 1/3rd of the soil should be living in someway.

One of the wonderful things about no-til is the smoothness even when there is no curing or the drying is a bit out you always have flavor and smoothness.

Maybe no-til is the cake equivalent of flour, sugar,eggs...it's just hard not to end up with something tasting perfect when you've got the ingredients your working with.

I have red wigglers that I bought sometime last year, and then there are the worms that were in the compost when it was delivered.  I think those might be some different species of worm because they came from the wild on a farm in Washington where the compost was made.  Occasionally when I find a big fat worm in the outdoor garden I will throw it into one of the indoor no-tills.  I agree with you on the soil health indicator... if the worms are happy, then I'm happy.

I like your cake analogy, and it makes sense.  With all of the ingredients I've put into the soil, I know that it has everything it needs to grow healthy crops.  It's just a matter of giving the soil time to integrate all of those separate ingredients into a healthy and balanced "mini ecosystem".  With the worms constantly working over the soil, and prunings and trimmings being returned the the soil as mulch, the soil is balancing itself out.  That's why when I spot what looks like a nutrient imbalance in one of my first cycle no-tills, I don't worry too much over it.  I know that the next cycle will do better.  The outrageous growth of the Gorilla Glue in a third cycle container is a terrific example of this

So much trichome coverage on the leaves with the amnesia haze. Is it just more light or what?

I think it's more like genetics.  That could be why the seed breeder called this one Amnesia Hash Plant - because of the heavy trichome coverage.  Actually there is less light...  I'm only running 2 x 400W lights there for this cycle

Here is the current state of my first tent.  Six different strains in there.  Day 25 of 12/12.  Hash Skunk and Purple OG Kush are still stretching.  Everything else seems to be slowing down.  I've bending things down once the start growing into the glass and securing with velcro.  Notice that I've got 600W HPS on the left side, and 600W MH on the right side.  One of the main colas of the Purple OG Kush is directly under the MH and the rest are beneath the HPS.  It will be interesting to compare the two after harvest.  I just gave everything a helping of malted barley grain.  Last cycle I tried top dressing the malted barley flower.  This cycle I'm back to making it a tea and watering it in. It's more convenient with my set up to do it that way

20160110_093659_zps44e4b2yv.jpg

Next time I will be growing 6 of the same strain.  I'm thinking of going with 6 of The One.

In Tent#2, once the current cycle is done, I'll be putting in 8 clones of The Purple.  That way everything should be consistent, and I'll have a bulk harvest of one type.  Also, for Tent#2I'm currently running 2 400W MH.  I was disappointed with the yield I got last cycle in this tent, and the current cycle isn't looking promising.  Of course I am flowering plants from grown from seed, and some are seem to be yielding better than others.  I have one that is definitely a keeper (AHP#1). I might just keep that one and let the rest go.

I just now ordered a 1kW ballast from Amazon.  Once it arrives next week, I will but up the Big Daddy reflector that I won in the essay writing contest (Thanks Skunk Pharm!) and the 1kW HPS bulb in Tent#2.  The Big Daddy will be in the center, and if I can fit them I will put both 400W on either side of it.  This will be a total of 1800W.  This coupled with the vigorous growth of the Purple, and strictly scheduled feedings of MBG and Coconut water, plus a couple of hits of neem/kelp tea, will lead to some heavy yields.  If I can achieve 1 gram per watt, that will be 4 pounds of The Purple!  So that is my goal.

HAHAHAAHAHAH 4lbs of 'The Purple' . Wow. That is a wonderful goal. Knowing quality is of the utmost priority for you that is an impressive aspiration and I can't wait to see that new crop of clones or seeds going.

I'm also thinking along the same lines as you for my next flowering run. I would really like a nice large harvest of just Nepalese Jamaican.... Running multiple strains is useful to find what works well as medicine and finding phenotypes. But,I know what meds work well for me, so I need a dedicated crop of that one strain. If I had 4 lbs of NepJam then I'd be a much happier member of society :-) It would also be easier to share/donate as well and that is just as crucial an element of a good harvest.

I like what your saying about the third run in a no-til pot could be about the time things have all balanced out.

This is a Thai x Afghani cross.  This particular cut has a long history, and has been around since 1984.  Known as "The One" or simply TO, this is an exceptional plant.  It was also gifted to me by the same guy that gave me the purple.  The buds are rock hard and frosty, and the plant is healthy, vigorous and pest resistant.  The mites tend to avoid this one for the most part, although it has also sustained some damage.  I would have to say this is hands-down the best thing I've got growing in my garden right now, and that's without even having sampled the finished product!  This is also in a first cycle 20 gallon no-till smartpot:

20150822_190115_zps4zsa9hyt.jpg

Did you get this from coots?

Oh nice!  I was just reading a post on Instagram last night where CC was describing Velvet Rush.  That sounds like another great plant.  Says it can grow up to 18 feet outdoors.  Blue Orca is another one that I would love to have a clone from.  I guess it's a sister to The One.  TO is amazing.  I smoked a joint of it last night a couple hours before bed, and I woke up on the couch in the middle of the night still fully stoned

Good read for sure thnx for taking the time Flyin1420 I learned alot, you got the wheels turning on some new to me and better methods. I am going to start prepping my soil now for the summer outdoor grow I have planned Im going to be sprouting some Jesus OG Kush beans I got for Christmas growing next to the Blackberry kush clones

Nice man how long did you flower her?

First time I flowered for 10 weeks, second time I went 9 weeks.  I wanted to go longer, but both times I couldn't for one reason or another.  One of these cycles I'm going to take her all the way to 16 weeks.  I took 6 cuttings from her last cycle, and only one made it because my cloning technique didn't work out very well.  The single remaining clone is coming back strong, and once she has grown out to a good size, I'm going to chop her into about 8 more clones.  I'm going to flower 6 of them under 2x600W; the other two will be used for further clones.  She is extremely resinous and delightfully stinky.  I plan on turning much of that next 6 plant harvest into some nug-run BHO

Good read for sure thnx for taking the time Flyin1420 I learned alot, you got the wheels turning on some new to me and better methods. I am going to start prepping my soil now for the summer outdoor grow I have planned Im going to be sprouting some Jesus OG Kush beans I got for Christmas growing next to the Blackberry kush clones

I am happy to hear that you've found some helpful information here, and thank you for the feedback!  I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not, but Concentrates NW in Milwaukee is a great place for soil amendments.  Let me know if I can help in any way.

Just got my new 1kW ballast yesterday.  Now to find the time to re-arrange the lights in Tent #2.  Soon it will be as bright as the sun in there (slight exaggeration)

If all goes well and everything fits, I will be running 1200W in the first tent, and 1800W in the second tent.  I expect some halfway decent yields.

1800 watt flowering tent! Those plants are getting spoiled.  Is that going to be the tent running one side MH and the other HPS?

How is it you can harvest her at 9 or 10 weeks, but you can run her till 16 weeks?

1800 watt flowering tent! Those plants are getting spoiled.  Is that going to be the tent running one side MH and the other HPS?

How is it you can harvest her at 9 or 10 weeks, but you can run her till 16 weeks?

There may have been an issue and needed to be picked early.

I am happy to hear that you've found some helpful information here, and thank you for the feedback! I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not, but Concentrate NW in Milwaukee is a great place for soil amendments. Let me know if I can help in any way.

I just moved south to the Eugene area from North Portland and I have to say I love it down here. I still have to go to Portland for work every once in a while though so I will go through Milwaukie to check it out.

I can't find the post now, but I read somewhere Clackamas Coot saying for maximum psychoactive effect flower it for 16 weeks followed by a 6 week minimum cure.   So that's why I say one of these days I will make it all the way to 16 weeks.  Harvesting at 9 weeks still makes for some very potent medicine

First time I flowered for 10 weeks, second time I went 9 weeks.  I wanted to go longer, but both times I couldn't for one reason or another.  One of these cycles I'm going to take her all the way to 16 weeks.  I took 6 cuttings from her last cycle, and only one made it because my cloning technique didn't work out very well.  The single remaining clone is coming back strong, and once she has grown out to a good size, I'm going to chop her into about 8 more clones.  I'm going to flower 6 of them under 2x600W; the other two will be used for further clones.  She is extremely resinous and delightfully stinky.  I plan on turning much of that next 6 plant harvest into some nug-run BHO

Sweet look forward to seeing you take her longer are ypu keeping up on weekly neem seed, kelp tea in veg?

Sweet look forward to seeing you take her longer are ypu keeping up on weekly neem seed, kelp tea in veg?

I just applied a karanja/kelp tea to half of the garden this morning.  The other half will get treated this afternoon afternoon after work.  I don't necessarily do it weekly though. I try to alternate between malted barley tea, coconut water, and neem/kelp.  Admittedly, I'm not very good at staying on schedule, but I try.  Between work, family, and the garden, time management can be a real challenge.

The MH vs HPS results were inconclusive.  I had 800W MH and a much lower yield vs 1200W HPS with a heavy yield.  In order to know for sure, I would have to do two identical grows side by side with different lights.  I don't have the time, space, or money to do that.

I finally got the Big Daddy reflector that I won in the essay contest put into service.  I won the hood and an Eye Hortilux HPS 1000W bulb.  This is a great bulb.  I picked up a cheap ballast from Amazon ($97) and put it up yesterday.  It is BRIGHT BRIGHT BRIGHT in there now.  I may have mentioned here already, but I have the 1000W HPS in the middle of the 4x8 tent, with a 400W MH on both ends.  That's 1800W in there.  It's almost too bright in there even while wearing sunglasses!

20160117_204528_zpsjhf5cbom.jpg

20160117_204517_zps4v5wxjqv.jpg

The four plants on the right are Amnesia Hashplant and they have looked ready to harvest for a couple of weeks now.  I'm letting them go for a full 8 weeks, and I'm hoping that with the final week under such intense light, they will fatten up a bit more before they cross the finish line.

I've got a Purple set aside that I plan to chop up in to about 10 clones sometime in the next week.  I'm just waiting for space in my cloner.  Once I can get the Purple clones to sprout roots, I'm going to put them directly into the 20 gallon no-tills.  The Purple can be a heavy yielder, and with 1800W, I expect a decent harvest!

I thought I posted this last night, but I must have fallen asleep instead.

I have 8 plants in tent#2 now.  5 of those (Bash) are going to get harvested in one week (week 8).  That will leave 2 TO and 1 Purple. The Purple I will harvest at 11 weeks.  Once those Bash plants are out of the way, I have 4 new plants that are fully vegged and ready to drop in to the flowering tent.  Those are Amnesia HashPlant (Oregon Green Seed).  I will flower the AHP for 8 weeks alongside the two remaining TO plants.  That will give TO a full 16 weeks

This is The One at 49 days.  Heavily loaded with trichomes on top of trichomes.  I want to let this one go for a full 16 weeks if I can, followed by a 6 week (minimum) cure.

20151123_230321_zpsjwkeokcx.jpg

So very beautiful man