Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

psychokitty

OMMP Grower seeks advice for selling excess meds to Dispensaries

Rate this topic

Hello all,

I am a new OMMP grower, and I have questions about how one goes about selling excess medicine to dispensaries. I'm hoping that some other growers or dispensary owners will give me some tips to get me moving in the right direction. Here are some of my questions:

1) Am I, as an OMMP grower, allowed to go into dispensaries and talk directly with the owners? Or are only patients allowed in? Does the patient I grow for need to sign an authorization slip or be with me? Do dispensaries usually prefer growers to come visit them face-to-face, or would they typically rather be contacted by email or by phone?

2) How do the dispensaries want to receive the medicine? Should it be tested by a lab first by the grower, or do the dispensaries want to handle all the testing? If the grower should do the testing first...then how do I do that...do I just call up any lab and arrange to drop-off all the medicine at once for testing? Does the lab then test it and send it back to me with the results?

3) I've read about dispensaries not being able to get banking services. Does that mean that I should expect everything to be a cash transaction? Do the dispensaries want the growers to give them invoices, and be licensed as Businesses? Or is it just a handshake and an exchange? Should I, as a grower, be setting up a web site to promote my medicine as a brand...is that something dispensaries are looking for to help them sell the medicine?

4) How difficult is it to sell to dispensaries? I've been told by one person that it's next to impossible, because the market is oversaturated. That just seems odd to me. I can understand wholesale prices dropping when the market is oversaturated. But it doesn't look to me like prices are anywhere near a rock bottom.

5) I am growing a couple of strains from OregonGreenSeed that aren't the common ones I see on Leafly menus. Will that make it harder to sell the medicine, or are dispensaries looking to have a wide variety of meds, not just the big name ones? Also, do dispensaries buy clones...or is that really not even something they are interested in?

Any tips and/or advice from those with experience is greatly appreciated. My plants are getting big and starting to flower, and my patient's needs are really small. I would like to recoup some of the costs I've incurred so far, and not just end-up with a pile of canna-compost at the end of the year! Thank you for sharing your insights and experiences!

A couple photos attached from my small greenhouses. One greenhouse is growing OregonGreenSeed's Blue Snowdog. The other is growing OregonGreenSeed's Rocket Chunk. I did not anticipate them getting so large and growing into each other like they have.

post-2684-0-94015300-1437511836_thumb.jpg

post-2684-0-78989400-1437511585_thumb.jpg

post-2684-0-27424900-1437511528_thumb.jpg

Hello psychokitty, 

Nice to meet you, and glad we've crossed paths on the interwebs. I'll do my best to answer your questions in a concise manner, to make it easier for myself, I left your questions intact and responded in-line with bold text.

1) Am I, as an OMMP grower, allowed to go into dispensaries and talk directly with the owners? Growers may not enter the dispensary unless they are there to transfer product to a dispensary and are authorized to do so by their patient. 

Or are only patients allowed in? See above

Does the patient I grow for need to sign an authorization slip or be with me? Yes, a authorization/transfer form is required. A standard one can be found here http://www.oregon.gov/oha/mmj/Documents/MM%20Transfer%20Authorization%20Form.pdf

Do dispensaries usually prefer growers to come visit them face-to-face, or would they typically rather be contacted by email or by phone? This will vary dispensary to dispensary. We welcome both face-to-face contact, phone calls, and contact though e-mail or other digital means. 

2) How do the dispensaries want to receive the medicine?  
Should it be tested by a lab first by the grower, or do the dispensaries want to handle all the testing? 

Ideally it should be tested first, but like CuredGreen, I'm sure many other Dispensaries work with smaller growers who may not be able to afford testing, however it will affect the negotiation process. 

If the grower should do the testing first...then how do I do that...do I just call up any lab and arrange to drop-off all the medicine at once for testing?  Getting your product tested is pretty streamlined, there are many local labs who analyse medicinal marijuana. Labs have different procedures; some will pick it up, while others prefer walk-ins.  

Does the lab then test it and send it back to me with the results? Yes, and no. The sample submitted is tested, and basically destroyed in the process. Many labs also keep a small amount for archival and accountability purposes. 

3) I've read about dispensaries not being able to get banking services. Does that mean that I should expect everything to be a cash transaction?  Simply put, yes; expect it to be a cash transaction. Although, some dispensaries have work-arounds that allow credit transactions. 

Do the dispensaries want the growers to give them invoices, and be licensed as Businesses?   The transaction should be well documented, but growers are NOT required to have a tax identification number.  

Or is it just a handshake and an exchange?  see above

Should I, as a grower, be setting up a web site to promote my medicine as a brand...is that something dispensaries are looking for to help them sell the medicine? This is something that you and only you can answer, and a whole different topic. I'd be willing to talk with you about this as well, but it probably deserves its own thread. 

4) How difficult is it to sell to dispensaries? That depends... How good is your product?  Price quality and quantity are all factors to consider.        
I've been told by one person that it's next to impossible, because the market is oversaturated. That just seems odd to me. I can understand wholesale prices dropping when the market is oversaturated. But it doesn't look to me like prices are anywhere near a rock bottom.

5) I am growing a couple of strains from OregonGreenSeed that aren't the common ones I see on Leafly menus. Will that make it harder to sell the medicine, or are dispensaries looking to have a wide variety of meds, not just the big name ones? Unheard of strains may possibly be harder to move at most dispensaries. What matters to us at most at CuredGreen is the quality and potency; not the name. 

Also, do dispensaries buy clones...or is that really not even something they are interested in? Yes, some do.

Any tips and/or advice from those with experience is greatly appreciated. My plants are getting big and starting to flower, and my patient's needs are really small. I would like to recoup some of the costs I've incurred so far, and not just end-up with a pile of canna-compost at the end of the year! Thank you for sharing your insights and experiences!

A couple photos attached from my small greenhouses. One greenhouse is growing OregonGreenSeed's Blue Snowdog. The other is growing OregonGreenSeed's Rocket Chunk. I did not anticipate them getting so large and growing into each other like they have.

Thanks for sharing your grow; it looks super healthy.  If you don't mind me asking, what general area do you live in?  CuredGreen would sure like to see your flowers when they are ready. 
Hope I've answered all of your questions. Let me know if anything is unclear or if you want to delve deeper into any particular topic. 

Minor correction to number 1.   Growers may not enter a dispensary WHILE IN OPERATION unless they are there to transfer product to a dispensary and are authorized to do so by their patient. 
I feel like I should add I am not a lawyer and  this is not legal advice. Laws can change quickly. For the most up-to date and accurate information always check the Oregon Public Health - OMMP website https://public.health.oregon.gov/DiseasesConditions/ChronicDisease/MedicalMarijuanaProgram/Pages/legal.aspx 

You need to have a like minded freind or two in your endevours.   Networking works!

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

Hi MycoDan,

Thank you very much for your direct and thorough answers. You've provided me more information in that response then I've been able to find in countless hours of reading various forums around the Internet. It is encouraging to find out that you work with small growers and are interested in meeting them. I will Private Message you tomorrow, to see if you are available for a face-to-face meeting in the near future. I  live in West Linn, but I work in downtown Portland everyday and getting up to NE Portland is not a burden on me. My patient might also be interested in meeting you, as she has over 20 years experience in the restaurant business, and she has an interest in producing edibles. I'm sure she'd like to meet you.

I am growing in raised beds using organically amended sandy loam. I use organic fertilizers- NatureSafe 8-2-4, Jobe's Organics, Alaska Fish Fertilizer, worm castings, and Azomite dust for added micronutrients. The only pesticide I use is a foilar spray of diluted Neem and Kelp weekly. I have read mixed messages on when to stop using Neem, but it seems like I should discontinue spraying by the 3rd or 4th week of flowering, so that there is no taste residue in the dried flowers.

Again, thank you for all the information! Your Dispensary will be the first one I bring my flowers to, and hopefully we can start a business relationship that is mutually beneficial.

Best regards,

Psychokitty

Kitty, I LOVE they way you grow!  Im guessin you reuse your soil too?! :D 

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

Yes Offdababa, I reuse my soil. I just til in some compost every once in a while, and have at it again! I just want to give a shoutout to the guys at Cured Green, who have been very helpful in guiding my through the process of selling to a dispensary. Hopefully, if my harvest turns out good, some of my flowers will end up in the jars of their fine establishment. A few updated pics of my current grow follow. The 4 Blue Snowdogs in one greenhouse have merged into one giant 10'x10'x7' mass of green. They should finish in early October. My other greenhouse of Rocket Chunk is well into flowering, with loads of large buds that are filling in fast. The Rocket Chunk should finish in early September...making it an excellent choice for anyone in the PNW who wants to do an uncovered outdoor grow next summer. The early finish makes it much less susceptible to the Powdery Mildew and the bud rot that can come with September rains.

post-2684-0-59840100-1440004951.jpg

post-2684-0-41802000-1440004952_thumb.jpg

post-2684-0-26527600-1440005038_thumb.jpg

Yes, I must vouch for Psycho Kitty's soil mix.   

I really enjoy growing along with these Rocket Chunk girls out.  They are speaking to me!  

Responds well to FIM, and supercropping.  

They were repotted into a mix of coco coir, vermiculite and worm castings to feel, with just a touch of old coffee grinds. Fertilized with compost tea for now. Any recommendations for liquid ferts? Generally I would have added a bit of dried blood, bone meal and kelp meal, and guano. In past grows it seemed to keep the plant happy darn near though the flower period where you would want to be flushing anyways.  Generally I would     

I split a branch wide open training it,  while I'm sure she it wasn't happy, she didn't complain.    
I couldn't help but take one out for a photoshoot while they're still mobile. 

IMG_20150817_182757.jpg

IMG_20150817_182947.jpg

IMG_20150815_092400.jpg

IMG_20150816_171358.jpg

IMG_20150817_182940.jpg

Ok, so I feel somewhat guilty. Yes, believe it or not I have read this sites TOS. I've been posting images directly to freemygreenpdx.com. Is there a free image hosting service anyone can recommend thats easy to use, or rather quick and efficient.   Good server speed by the way. We'll definitely look into using an image hosting service in the future to save you guys time and money. 

IMG_20150818_165715.jpg

I am growing in raised beds using organically amended sandy loam. I use organic fertilizers- NatureSafe 8-2-4, Jobe's Organics, Alaska Fish Fertilizer, worm castings, and Azomite dust for added micronutrients. The only pesticide I use is a foilar spray of diluted Neem and Kelp weekly. I have read mixed messages on when to stop using Neem, but it seems like I should discontinue spraying by the 3rd or 4th week of flowering, so that there is no taste residue in the dried flowers.

I stopped using neem after the first week in flower.  My mite problem did not stop at the same time though.  I use lavendar oil and rosemary oil at 5 ml/gallon, emulsified with about the same amount of agsil (protekt) and applied as foliar spray at lights out.  Very effective

5) I am growing a couple of strains from OregonGreenSeed that aren't the common ones I see on Leafly menus. Will that make it harder to sell the medicine, or are dispensaries looking to have a wide variety of meds, not just the big name ones? Also, do dispensaries buy clones...or is that really not even something they are interested in?

I am also growing a couple of strains from OGS.  I'm kind of a newbie grower though, so I don't have much experience to compare with.  I will say that customer service was great with OGS, and she was prompt, and professional both times I ordered.  I've grown out Bash, and have a  few clones from the first round in veg now.  I've got two keepers from that pack, cause I liked them both and couldn't decide.  I was happy with the strain, and it was a nice plant to learn with.  Also, just yesterday I started 12 new seeds of their Amnesia Hashplant which was a parent to Bash, and I'll be posting on my experience with this one on my journal.

It always seems kind of awkward when people ask what strains I'm running, because not many people out there know about OGS and their genetics.  I am happy to see someone else here running their stuff.